Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 17,306 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this company?

I have done about as much research as possible online, but I kinda wanted to see if there were any testimonials on here about them.

They have contacted me about a possible job and I wanted to see if anyone could give me advice. I currently live in Cincinnati, OH....so it would be a relocation.

Are they a good company to work for?
What is their reputation down there?
Any other community knowledge about them you can tell me would be excellent.

I wanted to get my info before I started to seriously pursue employment there.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 AM

21 posts, read 57,190 times
What I know about them is that they develop medical technology. I have visited their site on I-10 near Callaghan. They have a vacuum-assisted pump and seal for wound treatment. I have seen this equipment used in many hospitals. Also, they have beds that are mechanical and suspend patients at different angles for a certain amount of time - this technology was useful in the treatment of swine flu. The building is very nice and the employees I came in contact with were knowledgeable and seemed happy. They are reputable for medical technology innovations.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM

7,106 posts, read 11,762,801 times
They're a customer of mine, and a neighbor works for them. Have always found them to be reputable and they pay their bills in a timely manner (speaks volumes IMO). Neighbor really enjoys working for them.

Good luck!!

Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,851,259 times
KCI has been involved in several lawsuits with differnt companies including BlueSky over their trademarks. BlueSky was selling their devices to Medicaid at a cheaper price which was cutting into KCI profits.

KCI make medical devices as stated by Slvrwng. Their corporate is on I-10 near Callaghan while their actual factory is on the East side off of I-10 (Hwy 90) and Loop 410.

Their vacuum pumps help burn victims heal faster while their beds that rotate help people who are paralyzed so they do not get bed sores. Christopher Reeve used a KCI bed.

I do believe they were victorious in several of theirrecent lawsuits though am unsure how their patent suit versus BlueSky turned out.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
They're a customer of mine, and a neighbor works for them. Have always found them to be reputable and they pay their bills in a timely manner (speaks volumes IMO). Neighbor really enjoys working for them.

Good luck!!
Can I ask what part of the company your neighbor works in?

I am in supply chain and projected to move into the supply chain team there....I would love to get an inside look at what I am getting into..

Looking forward to relocating to Texas....maybe

Old 12-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrwng View Post
What I know about them is that they develop medical technology. I have visited their site on I-10 near Callaghan. They have a vacuum-assisted pump and seal for wound treatment. I have seen this equipment used in many hospitals. Also, they have beds that are mechanical and suspend patients at different angles for a certain amount of time - this technology was useful in the treatment of swine flu. The building is very nice and the employees I came in contact with were knowledgeable and seemed happy. They are reputable for medical technology innovations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
KCI has been involved in several lawsuits with differnt companies including BlueSky over their trademarks. BlueSky was selling their devices to Medicaid at a cheaper price which was cutting into KCI profits.

KCI make medical devices as stated by Slvrwng. Their corporate is on I-10 near Callaghan while their actual factory is on the East side off of I-10 (Hwy 90) and Loop 410.

Their vacuum pumps help burn victims heal faster while their beds that rotate help people who are paralyzed so they do not get bed sores. Christopher Reeve used a KCI bed.

I do believe they were victorious in several of theirrecent lawsuits though am unsure how their patent suit versus BlueSky turned out.
Thanks, both of you...I have done a lot of research on their products and they seem to have a heck of a product line and marketshare (Damn near a monopoly it seems).

I just want to pick someone's brain about working there. They sound great and the people I have been talking to in the company make it sound excellent....but I just want a first hand account.

There is a company here in Cincy that looks great on the outside, but is a hell hole once you get hired and everyone in Cincy knows it. They are starting to have to go outside the area to fill positions because of their rep.

I think I can go on LinkenIN and add a few of their employees as friends and just talk to them.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:35 PM

181 posts, read 609,604 times
We have two friends/colleagues that work there and really enjoy it. One is in auditing another is in a computer science field, sorry I don't have more info on exactly what they do. One has been there about 5 years and the other much longer than that.

The younger of the two, been there 5 years, switched from another local company headquarters and KCI paid for his masters. They worked very well w/ him and his family and his schedule allowing him to commute to Austin for the degree. They've raved and raved over the programs they allow their employees to participate in during work time; community service, volunteering, physical health (races, etc), things like that.

I know for both of them they talk very positively of their jobs and really enjoy what they do. Their wives speak well of the benefits, hours, etc. From them/what I"ve heard, it's a good and very reputable company.

What would you be doing? Worst case, KCI is right next to USAA, a very large employer, and there are a few others in the area if it really, really didn't work out-but I've heard great things.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTexas View Post
We have two friends/colleagues that work there and really enjoy it. One is in auditing another is in a computer science field, sorry I don't have more info on exactly what they do. One has been there about 5 years and the other much longer than that.

The younger of the two, been there 5 years, switched from another local company headquarters and KCI paid for his masters. They worked very well w/ him and his family and his schedule allowing him to commute to Austin for the degree. They've raved and raved over the programs they allow their employees to participate in during work time; community service, volunteering, physical health (races, etc), things like that.

I know for both of them they talk very positively of their jobs and really enjoy what they do. Their wives speak well of the benefits, hours, etc. From them/what I"ve heard, it's a good and very reputable company.

What would you be doing? Worst case, KCI is right next to USAA, a very large employer, and there are a few others in the area if it really, really didn't work out-but I've heard great things.
I would be in the Supply Chain field....Forecasting, supply planning, etc.

Everything in this thread seems great, everything I am reading on another message board sounds terrible. I am really torn here.

Was really pumped about relocating to Texas, but I dont want to take any unnecessary chances. Gotta keep gathering info.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,103,322 times
I have worked for KCI for five years. It was a GREAT place to work then. Some big changes upstairs have diminished the employee's great feelings and security. It is now a fair place to work. The company was started by a great man with high integrity. It is now run like just about any other company. The ledger's bottom line is EVERYTHING, now.

Last edited by outafocus; 12-18-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM

80 posts, read 189,874 times
I have a good friend who works in the Operations/Administrative/HR section. For the most part she says its a fair company to work for. When she talks about the company its mostly postive. Seems as if they have their issues like any other company but for the most part sounds like a good place to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio