Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 PM

99 posts, read 344,560 times

Advertisements

Yeah I have no clue if we even have attic space. I don't think we do. I can crawl underneath my house though! LOL. I keep it so cool but basically it never gets much cooler than 65 inside during the day, even with today being a rather chilly day, so the heater never even comes on. Our bedrooms are a little warmer too because we have big windows that let in lots of sunlight and we are in them primarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,414,046 times
I keep the A/C between 72 and 74 all year around. If it gets really cold at night, I'll turn the heater on 70.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,745,210 times
Do you have skirting around the base? Also - check the insulation under the trailer, up by the floor. Many years ago, I spent a lifetime w/a one-year lease of a mobile home. Unbelievably little insulation in it! I resorted to making frames and putting plastic sheeting over the inside of the windows - light enough that I could easily rip through it in case of fire, but it made a huge difference on the loss of heat/cool air. During those days, a $50 electric bill was enough to make me worry about the food budget...

Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 PM

61,131 posts, read 85,956,304 times
72F in winter ( down to 65F while I am at work)
76F in summer ( 80F while at work)

Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 PM

522 posts, read 1,127,497 times
not too sure. it's not automatic in the winter, we pretty much just turn it on when we can't stand it anymore. it's easier for us to stay warm indoors, so the ac/heater doesn't run as much as in the summer. however, our schedules leave us awake for the entire duration of the coldest times of the day (er, night) so i am not sure how warm it would have to be if we had to sleep through the night hours. i have a feeling our ac isn't that efficient though and i'm not sure the thermostat is accurate. never the less, our energy bill plummets in the winter.

guess none of that really answers the question though, heh!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Do you have skirting around the base? Also - check the insulation under the trailer, up by the floor. Many years ago, I spent a lifetime w/a one-year lease of a mobile home. Unbelievably little insulation in it! I resorted to making frames and putting plastic sheeting over the inside of the windows - light enough that I could easily rip through it in case of fire, but it made a huge difference on the loss of heat/cool air. During those days, a $50 electric bill was enough to make me worry about the food budget...
Yup we have skirting and we are actually about to put some new skirting up today because our old dog ripped the one we have open.
But yes, the insulation is really terrible underneath. Next on my agenda is to ask the landlord to help fix it because we can't afford these crazy electric bills!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Just remember that the tighter the skirting, the less air flow under the trailer - and THAT will help a LOT with your utility bills. While you're down there, check the ducting VERY carefully - it's almost a sure thing that you're gonna find some pretty good air leaks on those ducts! Just remember - duct tape does NOT work to seal ducts (I know - seems silly, but it's not worth a hoot for that!!). Go by any a/c supply house and ask for the foil-backed tape.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to pass them along to my husband because my pregnant butt can't fit under there and move around to save my life lol.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM

27 posts, read 42,176 times
Summer-72
Winter-74

Why have central air if Im not gonna use it??? As long as I can afford to live comfortable I will.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 PM

My pleasure! That's the bad thing about mobile's - by and large, the ones 10+ years of age are absolutely horrid when it comes to energy efficiency, and there's little you can do about it, unfortunately. Your best bet is to eventually find a way to get out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio