Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,881 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex that has had no success in getting residents to cleanup after their pets.

I am wondering if there is a legal requirement somewhere that requires the complex to cleanup this mess. It is a huge health issue. You cannot go near any grassy area as they are completely over run with crap. We have kids and have to tell them the only place they can play in is the street because you cannot walk around in any of the grass.

I know the owners are supposed to pickup after their pets but at some point I think the apartment would be required to cleanup the area for the health and safety of the other residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,858 times
You didn't state whether you've addressed this with the management or not.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,802 times
RoamingWolves - does your complex have the available grounds to propose to the management, that they consider using some decorative fencing to 'designate' a pet area for the residents.....it doesn't have to be an fully fenced area, or 'off-lead' play area - just enough fencing to denote 'this is where your pets pee/poo' - and then maybe a sign reminding the pet owners that they must pick up after their pets - even inside this designated area.

I know several complexes in our city are going to this type of set-up - in hopes to remain pet friendly and please their non-pet owner residents as well.

This would allow the grounds outside the pet area, to be reclaimed and cleaned up - so the kids and others could use them without fear of finding crap on themselves/shoes.

Good luck - with multiple dogs - I regularly poop patrol the backyard and never set foot out front without a supply of poop bags....I'm not sure how a dog owner can watch their dog take a crap in a public area, and simply walk away from it....makes you wonder what their home/yard looks like

Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
Simple, the city should pass an ordinance outlawing pets in public places. Why should non pet owners be subject to stepping on poop or where poop residue is residing from previously picked up poop. (Second hand poop). How are you going to pick up dog pee in the grass. Dog freindly areas will not work because someone has to maintain these areas and they should not be put in a position where they would be exposed to dog poop just to have a job. Sound familiar?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
1. Watch and see who exactly is not picking up after their dog
2. Wait for pet and owner to finish up and head inside.
3. Return to screen of crime and collect poop.
4. Locate offending pet owners vehicle and proceed to dump poop on hood of said vehicle.*
5. Leave note stating that if they don't pick up after their pet, someone else will.

* For repeat offenders, you can opt to smear said poop on offenders car door handles, windshield or even apply to front door of apartment.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
We have a poop patrol lady in our neighborhood. She goes OFFFFFFF on people for not picking up their pet's poop. I swear she must walk 14 times a day with her beagle, just so she can get after people. She will not hesitate to call people out and shame them silly. She carries extra bags! I've seen her in action many times. I think it's cool on one hand, but strangely uncomfortable on the other.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
This thread is funny. Pets aren't even allowed in my complex and the new management is not enforcing that rule. It doesn't bother me until people start letting their pets run around without a leash. I would talk to the management first, then a higher up at their management company or the owners of the complex.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,490 times
I used to live at some apartments where the management would tell the pet owners to take their pets to a certain grassy part of the premises in the back where they could poop. It sure seemed to me that after a while the pets actually even learned it for themselves pretty quick.....

They seemed to even appreciate a periodic walk outdoors.....

And sure, sometimes you would hear some of the people, some of whom are also the masters, that lived there actually angrily-griping outloud about how it smelled like dogpoop there {especially when said Care Package is nice, hot, and fresh on a steaming humid Summer day, and the animals were NOT responsibly-taken to the designated area for whatever reason but rather to a non-designated area, ergo, pretty bad minefields too often too quickly}, but when the poop magically-appears at whatever-the-time of day or night when it is NOT picked-up by the Litter Police, well, sh*t happens.....no?

.....but maybe picking-up petpoop is just simply beneath some owners' dignity?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Life is tough maybe too tough. We have possums and squirrels and even armadillos in and around all over town. Who's gonna pick up their doings?? I go out in the yard and if I see a pile of crap I wash it down with the hose. That's if I'm gonna be mowing or partying in the yard. Otherwise I don't give a crap! I got better things to worry about. Sheesh! If the problem is that bad in a complex contact the management. Last time I took my grand daughter to the park I picked up the litter. Some people are living that third world life! I guess the city will be supplying us with one more refuse receptacle soon. Black for poop! Maybe it will come with a scoop and such.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Life is tough maybe too tough. We have possums and squirrels and even armadillos in and around all over town. Who's gonna pick up their doings?? I go out in the yard and if I see a pile of crap I wash it down with the hose. That's if I'm gonna be mowing or partying in the yard. Otherwise I don't give a crap! I got better things to worry about. Sheesh! If the problem is that bad in a complex contact the management. Last time I took my grand daughter to the park I picked up the litter. Some people are living that third world life! I guess the city will be supplying us with one more refuse receptacle soon. Black for poop! Maybe it will come with a scoop and such.
Hopefully eventually with some sort of unmanned remote-controlled drone specially-designed for such dangerous missions.....ha.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio