Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
And if you don't see that this is a problem, you must be a Cowboy fan. There is no way a team from another city, regardless of sport, should be featured in front of a team from the home city (save championship games). That's small time.
It was me who mentioned that the Spurs season doesn't start until February. The thing with the "Spurs season doesn't start until February" is that sure we're playing and this year the Spurs are doing very well...but it's consistent. They were so/so last year (and for rabid Spurs fans horrid).

I think if the Cowboys were a consistently good team the Cowboys wouldn't get as much coverage as they do here. This year has been particularly turbulent, injuries, coaches coming in and out and a pretty big name as a draft pick. With the Cowboys only playing 15ish games a season and all the trouble they've had this season I see why they get the coverage. When I lived in northern Wisconsin (about an hour and a half away from Green Bay) it was Packers coverage all day everyday during football season.

If all that was happening with the Spurs it would be front page news every game. I hesitated to post it earlier, but we also have to remember that Spurs play 80 games a season. If the EN spent 80 days a year covering the Spurs win/loss of the front page that would be dumb. The Cowboys, while not "our team" do contribute quite a bit to our economy with training camp so coverage is warranted (at least during that time frame).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It was me who mentioned that the Spurs season doesn't start until February. The thing with the "Spurs season doesn't start until February" is that sure we're playing and this year the Spurs are doing very well...but it's consistent. They were so/so last year (and for rabid Spurs fans horrid).

Spurs season doesn’t start until February (4 months after NBA season started)
But Cowboys season starts 1 month before NFL preseason (Training camp) and 2 months before NFL season starts?

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with that?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM

8 posts, read 13,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Spurs season doesn’t start until February (4 months after NBA season started)
But Cowboys season starts 1 month before NFL preseason (Training camp) and 2 months before NFL season starts?

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with that?
Your missing the point. It's not about the Cowboys or Spurs, it's the sports. Football is king in the United States. It's not anyones opinion, it's a fact. All you need to do is look at TV ratings. It's all about money.

Our local news stations are very aware of this fact. People watch and follow football (all levels) over basketball and baseball combined. The ratings and advertising statistics prove that.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,083 times
Quote:
It was me who mentioned that the Spurs season doesn't start until February. The thing with the "Spurs season doesn't start until February" is that sure we're playing and this year the Spurs are doing very well...but it's consistent.
So since the Spurs are playing their best basketball, with the best record in the NBA, and they're consistent, they don't deserve as much coverage as the worst Cowboys team in years? In their hometown?

I mean come on! That's crazy! This is, literally, the best team in the NBA right now, the best record the Spurs have EVER had at this point in the season, and you think the Cowboys should be getting more coverage because they suck?!?

Welcome to San Antonio, you fit in just fine. ugh!

I apologize if I sound rude, I just can't relate, it doesn't compute for me.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Wasn't it Jerry Jones himself who a few years ago said that 95% of San Antonians pull for the Cowboys? I happened to see some of the training camp on TV in August...it was like an MTV special with a 20-something woman interviewing/fawning over the athletes who looked like they were at Club Med.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
So since the Spurs are playing their best basketball, with the best record in the NBA, and they're consistent, they don't deserve as much coverage as the worst Cowboys team in years? In their hometown?

I mean come on! That's crazy! This is, literally, the best team in the NBA right now, the best record the Spurs have EVER had at this point in the season, and you think the Cowboys should be getting more coverage because they suck?!?

Welcome to San Antonio, you fit in just fine. ugh!

I apologize if I sound rude, I just can't relate, it doesn't compute for me.

It's part of the small town market. I would love it, as a Spurs fan, if we talked about the Spurs 24/;7 since they are doing so wonderful this season. But we've talked about he this 100001 times. San Antonio is a small market. If the Lakers were off the wall crazy good like the Spurs are right now we wouldn't hear the end of it. But because we're in the small market no one cares. If it were Lakers, Celtics, Miami, even the Knicks, oh my gosh would it be the end of the world and if one of those teams didn't win the championship it would be a travesty. But because we're a small market not too many people jump on the bandwagon early. It goes, again, back to my February statement.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclb View Post
Your missing the point. It's not about the Cowboys or Spurs, it's the sports. Football is king in the United States. It's not anyones opinion, it's a fact. All you need to do is look at TV ratings. It's all about money.

It’s the other way, you are missing the point.
San Antonio TV stations should support San Antonio teams first.
If San Antonio only had one professional sports team and it was a men’s volleyball team…
I would say the exact same thing.

Why?
They live in our city, they represent our city, they do charitable work in our city, they eat in our restaurants, they pay taxes in our city, they are our neighbors, their kids go to school with our kids, etc, etc, etc, etc.

First San Antonio’s teams, second anybody else.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 13,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It’s the other way, you are missing the point.
San Antonio TV stations should support San Antonio teams first.
If San Antonio only had one professional sports team and it was a men’s volleyball team…
I would say the exact same thing.

Why?
They live in our city, they represent our city, they do charitable work in our city, they eat in our restaurants, they pay taxes in our city, they are our neighbors, their kids go to school with our kids, etc, etc, etc, etc.

First San Antonio’s teams, second anybody else.
I actually agree with you. But the fact remains that football is big business and that's where the money is. As they say, it is what it is.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM

246 posts, read 433,390 times
Quote:
The Spurs season really doesn't start until February. Everything up until then is just practice.
Agree 100%. The NBA is irrelevant until the playoffs. Football is at the peak time of the season.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I don't support either team. Thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio