Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,087 times

Advertisements

I've been a long time "lurker" on this forum but this is my first post. I recently took my family to Haven For Hope to serve food in the cafeteria run by the San Antonio Food Bank. I was very impressed to see the services offered there. There is a medical clinic, dental clinic, rehabilitation center, living quarters and cafeteria, among other services. I would think that any homeless person would bend over backwards to be able to partake in the services offered there. However, many homeless are not ready to make the commitment to follow the rules at Haven for Hope. The two homeless people referred to in the OP made a choice and knew the consequences. They are grown adults living in a world of consequences. The sooner they learn this, the sooner they can turn their lives around.

I would much rather see my tax dollars spent at a facility like this where something is required in return for services rendered. Why take those tax dollars and throw them away on people who are not willing or able to make some sort of investment in their own lives? The goal is to get the people off the streets for good, becoming self-sufficient contributing members of society. It takes more than a bed and food to get a person to that level. It takes work on their end. They have to want it for themselves.

As we were preparing food we spoke with the lady who runs the cafeteria. She told us that just outside Haven for Hope (and maybe it is considered part of it??) there is an area where the homeless who are not residents are fed cold meals (as opposed to the hot meals served inside the cafeteria). The area is patrolled by police to provide a safe area for them to sleep. So there is an alternative for those who choose not to follow curfews or get sober.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM

36 posts, read 155,192 times
Thans GWhopper and kevcrawford. This totally answers my question!! I was told by 2 homeless men that they were thrown out but I think now they were probably just put back into courtyard. Sounds like they could start the process again but choosing not to which is very different from being told to never come back. I see now they may have given me their version of things lol.....I wonder if any of you volunteer there. Do they need people or is it staaffed?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 155,192 times
Thanks cheesecurds! What process did you have to go through for you and the kids to be able to volunteer?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,087 times
I called the Food Bank and they set me up with a time to volunteer. The Food Bank age requirement is 8 years old and up. However, someone stopped me at the shelter and said their requirement is 14 years old and up at Haven for Hope. We were still able to volunteer that day, but I would suggest only taking older children. The Food Bank has other opportunities to volunteer if your children are 8 years old and older. My son was at the Food Bank all day Monday this week with his scout troop making tamales and working in the garden.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,637 times
Default 12 week wait for family shelter at Have for Hope-no services while waiting

Currently there is a 12 week wait. You are not able to access any services while waiting....no hot meals, no showers, no sleeping in the courtyard (it's for sex offenders) no medical. Nothing is avaible to help you survive until you can get it. The meals, day centers, showers all that was available before Haven of Hope is gone, with the reasoning that Haven of Hope (which is great...if you can get in) is available. But what do you do in the meantime? There is no affordable weekly hotel housing if you are getting unemployment. There is no access to job counselors or even a place to find daily labor (there is nothing going out of labor ready or others now-there are 20-30 men there at 4:30am each day looking for work). There is no place to get a hot meal or take a shower. It's a great idea but there's a big gap left, how do you survive in the meantime?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyhomeless View Post
Currently there is a 12 week wait. You are not able to access any services while waiting....no hot meals, no showers, no sleeping in the courtyard (it's for sex offenders) no medical. Nothing is avaible to help you survive until you can get it. The meals, day centers, showers all that was available before Haven of Hope is gone, with the reasoning that Haven of Hope (which is great...if you can get in) is available. But what do you do in the meantime? There is no affordable weekly hotel housing if you are getting unemployment. There is no access to job counselors or even a place to find daily labor (there is nothing going out of labor ready or others now-there are 20-30 men there at 4:30am each day looking for work). There is no place to get a hot meal or take a shower. It's a great idea but there's a big gap left, how do you survive in the meantime?
Nothing is perfect when it comes to helping the homeless.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyhomeless View Post

Hopefully with more funding and expansion the waiting period will lessen. I'm sorry for the current waiting period, but it's part of the growing pains of all social service agencies. Some over estimate, other underestimate. HfH obviously under estimated,

Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Sorry, I agree wholeheartedly with the "kick-out" policy. That place wouldn't be a fit shelter for ANYONE if they don't enforce the rules. It would be a chaotic, horrible place if they just let everybody there do whatever they wish, no matter what.
words, your mouth, my mouth - out. Pretty much what I was going to reply. It's not fair for those who want to be rehabilitated to be woken up past curfew or to spend their evenings with drunks.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think we would have exact the same question about county tax dollars if those places were an unorganized jungle without any rules and order. We would ask why we spend our tax dollars to maintain places, where people come and go as they please, drink alcohol, use drugs, fight, steal, spread diseases and run the places down.
So, I fully agree with other posters that say about rules and regulations that are needed to make the places welcomed to people that want a change in their lives, want and appreciate the help provided, and want to go off the streets.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
They have VERY strict rules, so everyone should rest assured knowing they have a no tolerance policy for bad behavior.

I heard from this dumb fool one time on how they wouldn't let him enter anymore because he failed the breathalyzer. He was mad about it but inside I was thinking, "I'm glad they rejected you from entering, you fool!"

People like him ruin it for individuals and families with children who really do want to get help and assistance.

They also have security on site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio