U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 75,219 times

Advertisements

hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. I come here to ask if anyone knows any places that fit the thread title in san antonio?

the reason i ask is because i am an avid Geocacher. I have recently wanted to do a string of placed caches in really interesting/scary/crazy places in town. The only problem with the places i already know are that they are occupied. I was able to find an old abaonded house out near Growden road (near the impound). Even during the day when i placed the cache, the property was a little creepy.

please let me know if any of you have any recommendations. alos, if you arent sure what geocaching is you can check it out here geocaching.com . it has been featured in the news a few times, and is described as a "high-tech" treasure hunt.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,434,306 times
Let me know what you find because there isn't anything left in town anymore. And for the few places that are still around on the outskirts, they don't take kindly to trespassers. There is a cool city park with trails in the med center called Denman Park that is one block away from the old Midget Mansion (which is now Promontory Pointe). The Denman Estate house is still on the property but there are groundskeepers and the house is occupied and clearly marked with No Trespassing signs. There are trails and a cool pagoda on the pond, but it's prolly too small for 'caching.

The old "Car Wash/Satan on the Caboose" spot next to the rail road tracks and quarry on Huebner Rd near Vance Jackson has now become apartments.

I do a lot of hiking and stuff so I will let you know if I find anything cool.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Bump. Doesnt have to be in SA. just the surrounding areas.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,044,229 times
Here ya go: Haunted in San Antonio, 32 pages of haunted goodness!

There are several places where you could leave the caches, such as Donkey Lady Bridge or the Haunted Railroad Tracks. And even for some of the places you can't directly access, like the Chinese Cemetery or the "Insane Asylum," there are places nearby that are not private property where they could be hidden.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,434,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero278411 View Post
Bump. Doesnt have to be in SA. just the surrounding areas.
Bastrop State Park is the best place I've been for geocaching, just have to stay out of the Houston Toad areas, but they're all marked with signs.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Here ya go: Haunted in San Antonio, 32 pages of haunted goodness!

There are several places where you could leave the caches, such as Donkey Lady Bridge or the Haunted Railroad Tracks. And even for some of the places you can't directly access, like the Chinese Cemetery or the "Insane Asylum," there are places nearby that are not private property where they could be hidden.

Cheers! M2
Thanks. I missed that thread. Looks like a San Antonio Urban Legends and Hauntings string of caches is in order.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,021,774 times
There is an old abandoned small shack that looks creepy but it's not much hidden or far from a stretch of road. If you drive down 90 west just past 1604 on the right there is a neighborhood called West Pointe, drive up that road and as you wind your way towards the next neighborhood there is the shack I am talking about to your left partially boarded up. not much of a find but pretty creepy... We had planned to walk down to the house but the veg overgrew and we thought it was much to high for us.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
There is an old abandoned small shack that looks creepy but it's not much hidden or far from a stretch of road. If you drive down 90 west just past 1604 on the right there is a neighborhood called West Pointe, drive up that road and as you wind your way towards the next neighborhood there is the shack I am talking about to your left partially boarded up. not much of a find but pretty creepy... We had planned to walk down to the house but the veg overgrew and we thought it was much to high for us.
will check this out when i get a chance.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:17 AM

2,039 posts, read 5,125,243 times
Geo Caching? What is it?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,685,386 times
My ex mother-in law's house is pretty creepy......just don't get caught...she will put a curse on you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio