Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times

Advertisements

Mine definitely isn't genetic related; more like surgery related... if I left it at genetics, I'd still be over 300 pounds and closer to 40% body fat..

I'm going to Florida tomorrow (better be damn hot!) and will take a picture there. The only one I have right now is from a little before Christmas and about an extra 30 pounds or so.
BTW, I need to get a little more fat because you're not supposed to get that low. 8% is the minimum from what I've read and anything under 5% causes my scale to error out. I found that out one day when it kept giving me an error and I had to pull out the instructions, which men never do...

Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I've gotten little hints here and there, but can you detail the rd2011 diet, please? Like, I know you don't eat bread, you split plates at restaurants, you eat Taco Doritos Can you give me a typical day's menu? And activity log? Please and thanks.

Oh, and the surgery....was it lap-band or something?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 AM

It was the Roux-En-Y Gastric bypass

The Lap Band provides opportunities to cheat and I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to weight. This method takes me out of the equation and that's where I need to be. As far as what I eat, it depends on my mood, but there's a lot of protein drinks and bars involved. I mostly do the EAS ones I mentioned earlier, Atkins, and sometimes Slim Fast; all with high protein. The Atkins and Slim Fast are higher in fat, though, but that's OK for me now. My primary bar is the GNC Pro Crunch Lite. I also drink a small can of low-sodium V-8 every morning for the potassium and I go low-salt because I don't like salt, not because my heart needs it. I also eat a lot of the Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine frozen meals and try to stay around 180-250 calories with them. I have a seriously hard time bringing myself to eat anything that's over 300 calories per serving. I can go most of the day without even getting hungry and make up for a lot of it at night. Not sure why that is, but it's how my body works now. I also don't like a LOT of the things I used to like. They don't know why your tastes change, but they do radically. I now hate turkey and can't stand the look, smell, taste, and texture of it. I used to love it, though. I also rarely eat red meat because it just doesn't taste good at all and that includes steak and hamburgers. The grease doesn't sit well at all in my new stomach and that helps a lot. If everyone couldn't tolerate greasy and fried food, we'd all probably be a lot better off.
I had the surgery on September 1 and have lost almost 130 pounds since. Only down side is I'm always cold unless it's over 90. My hands are the worst and my wife absolutely hates it. Paybacks for all those times she touched me with her cold hands and feet are a *****...

Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It was the Roux-En-Y Gastric bypass
Did you do the traditional method or laparoscopic?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM

They are actually saying on there that it may extend your life. That's new info to me. I guess if you're not eating all the crap, it would make sense. Well, congratulations on your success. I had no idea you struggled with weight prior to your triumphant return to c-d. I thought you were just a little fluffy maybe. I know I can lose weight if I put my mind to it. I don't think I need surgery. I walk and (used to ) do Zumba--need to start that up again but it's at a tough time. But, wow, 130 lbs???? that's great!!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 AM

It was laparoscopic, so I only have the seven small scars. They look pretty cool on a guy, though.. and it does extend your life, or at least it will mine. I was taking three different meds for type II diabetes and that is no longer the case. I also had sky high bad cholesterol and triglycerides and that is also no longer the case. My latest round of blood tests (6 month checkup) have me at pretty much a teenager and even my blood pressure was very good for a person of my age according to the kid that did it...
now I just need to work on a good balance to maintain where I am. I can gain weight if I eat too bad and can lose too much if I exercise too hard and/or don't eat enough. It was definitely the tool I needed and I don't regret a thing.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM

I didn't know you were diabetic. I take Lipitor for cholesterol. My mom is 112#, itty bitty thing, eats a great, healthy diet, and her cholesterol will not budge below 280. She's 76 and it just pisses her off to no end. LOL She is, really, one of the healthiest-lifestyle people I know but that cholesterol is driving her crazy!!! Mine was topping out around 235 but I will get my latest results tomorrow. BP is perfect, triglycerides lately have been fine. I did have a high count on those once and the dr told me it's from baked goods and flour tortillas. I have all but given up the flour tortillas--I actually prefer corn anyway, but the baked goods I struggle with. Can't give it all up but I do what I can.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM

My mom and youngest brother are the same way. Bread is a very hard thing to give up, but this surgery has helped. Now I get stuffed off just a couple bites and it's not a good stuffed feeling either, so I usually avoid it. The only strange thing is sugar. I'm not supposed to tolerate it, but it is one of the few things that my stomach completely accepts without any issues and it still tastes really good too. The one saving grace is I can't take in much at a time, so my pancreas can actually keep up with it now.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It was laparoscopic, so I only have the seven small scars.
I love when modern medicine can take a ginormous operation and turn it into a laparoscopic one. Laparoscopic coronary bypass is picking up steam too. Ever since they removed my gall bladder through those tiny holes, I've been captivated
So how was the recovery? Did it take the 3-5 weeks they state?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Congratulations on the dramatic weight loss, rd2007. I would venture a guess that the improvements in your medical conditions are worth it? Sounds like you've done great at sticking with it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio