Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
I know that areas such as Stone Oak do offer this kind of living, but in the end it is still SA.
This doesn't make any sense to me. Are you saying that having your address as San Antonio, Texas reduce your quality of life, or enjoyment of life if you live in Stone Oak? That living in a country club gated community in San Antonio is somehow "less than" compared to living in an equivalent community in Sugar Land, even with amenities and housing being equal?

I was in Sugar Land last month. The high-end subdivision I visited there looked an awful lot like Sonterra to me. Same big fake Tuscan homes, same clubhouse and golf course, same stores surrounding the area. I don't see what makes it magically different, except that you write your tax check to Sugar Land and not Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:00 PM

483 posts, read 1,557,958 times
Give it time, tgannaway89, SA metro will soon look like most other metros in the U.S. as it expands North, South, West, and Northeast. If you look at the ETJs of SA, Boerne, Fair Oaks Ranch, Bulverde, and NB, you'll see that they either border each other or almost border each other. What this means is that you will soon see continuous development (most of it in the form of housing) between SA and those cities, similar to what you find with Dallas, Irving, Plano, Garland, etc. And with cities like Floresville and Jourdanton/Pleasanton growing to the south, along with the plans for SA south of 410, you could eventually see it down there as well. Not to mention the metrocom cities (which are already contiguous with each other) growing towards NB and Seguin, whose city limits are now less than 5 miles apart. Schertz alone has gone from 18,000 in population in 2000 to close to 40,000, while NB is right at 50,000. The R-B metrocom (which doesn't include NB) has somewhere around 225k, if I remember correctly, with Schertz, Universal City, and Converse being the largest in that group.

In 25 years (maybe less), SA is going to be unrecognizable, for good and bad.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,005,473 times
Yes and Sugar Land was ranked as one of the best places to live by CNN. Were it part of Houston, it would not gain that recognition. When people meet somebody from Sugar Land, they expect that individual to have class. How many people outside of the San Antonio metro have ever heard of Stone Oak? In the end opinions and national status make a huge difference.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:18 PM

483 posts, read 1,557,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
How many people outside of the San Antonio metro have ever heard of Stone Oak?
I'd never heard of Sugar Land until maybe a year ago, and I've been visiting Houston my whole life.

The fact is, there's only a few "suburbs" with any nationwide notoriety, and those are mostly located in LA, which means they get TV shows set in them (think Beverly Hills, Long Beach, Santa Monica, heck, even streets and zip codes in LA get movies and shows named after them)

Do you really think anybody from outside of TX, or maybe even Houston, knows or cares where Sugar Land is? As for attracting national attention, DFW is the fourth largest metro in the U.S., yet it's national image and "exposure" in my observations trail far far behind NY, LA, and Chicago (I'd argue even smaller metros like SF, Miami, Atlanta, and Seattle get more visibility). Dallas would probably be even less known were it not for the Cowboys and that inane TV show from 20 years ago.

Now consider that Plano is almost as large as all of SA's "suburbs" put together, and lies within the wealthiest county in all of Texas, and yet probably still gets zero attention outside of TX, and you see that living in a particular zip code doesn't necessarily get you anywhere.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,222,389 times
tganna, your Sugar Land is coming in the form of Cibolo.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Quote:
When people meet somebody from Sugar Land, they expect that individual to have class.
That's hysterical. Really. I didn't know that living in a master-planned community instantly gave one an heretofore unavailable aura of grace and elegance. Those of us not blessed with living in such a place should just give up now and resign ourselves to being tacky untermenschen. Good to know.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 PM

27 posts, read 107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
That's hysterical. Really. I didn't know that living in a master-planned community instantly gave one an heretofore unavailable aura of grace and elegance. Those of us not blessed with living in such a place should just give up now and resign ourselves to being tacky untermenschen. Good to know.

This reminds me of a time when I was in college and I asked someone where he lived and he kinda raised his eyebrows and said, "The Woodlands". Well, I knew the reputation of The Woodlands but later came to kind out that the guy lived in a middle income neighborhood. It just kind of made me laugh. Why all the hoopla?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio