Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
You guys in support of this are crazy...

DWI laws are already so strict that the state legislature is looking at reducing the penalties...

as things are right now its cheaper and easier to get caught beating your wife with one hand and holding a bag of cocaine in the other than it is to get a DWI leaving a spurs game

Its not about whether DWI is right or wrong, its wrong, its wrong a million times, but its about figuring out an appropriate way to handle people that commit this crime, and as of now we just don't have that, what we have is MADD gone crazy, people up on a soapbox, and counties making MILLIONS off of DWI arrests, and no one willing to step up and say maybe its too much that an average DWI costs upwards of 10k while getting arrested for breaking into a car costs a couple hundred bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reason I brought up this point is that I had never thought about the constitutionality of this until a few weeks ago when I was listening to some guy on a radio show talking about the constitutionality of "something else".

I'm all in favor of doing everything possible to make our society better,
but I disagree with the idea of "going around the constitution" to catch criminals.

I agree with you both, and my cousin Sean, a police officer in Lee County, FL was killed in 1986 when he was run off the road by a DUI. I am never in favor of circumventing our constitutional rights to create new laws. It sets a dangerous precedent, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I hate to be the one that tells you this, but talk radio doesn't speak for "most folks".

And I could give you many examples.... but I'll get in trouble with the "City-Data law" again.
He never said "most folks". He said "folks".

Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
There are a lot of sober people in San Antonio who do drive like they're drunk. I would've just taken the breathalyzer. We are on public roads. No one objects to having their things searched when catching a flight. It's more likely that you'll be hit by a drunk driver than end up on an airplane with a terrorist.

Yes, there is a reason why we have constitutional amendments. The Constitution did very little to protect the rights of minorities and women through the middle of the last century. The Constitution wasn't even close to being perfect when the founding fathers wrote it. Many of the founding fathers were hypocrites.

Last edited by L210; 01-06-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
There are a lot of sober people in San Antonio who do drive like they're drunk. I would've just taken the breathalyzer. We are on public roads. No one objects to having their things searched when catching a flight. It's more likely that you'll be hit by a drunk driver than end up on an airplane with a terrorist.

Yes, there is a reason why we have constitutional amendments. The Constitution did very little to protect the rights of minorities and women through the middle of the last century. The Constitution wasn't even close to being perfect when the founding fathers wrote it. Many of the founding fathers were hypocrites.
Many of them?!?! Many?

Er, okay.

And hypocritical about what, exactly?

Statements like this make me positively LOL.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM

Speaking against tyranny while owning slaves and taking land away from Native Americans. Saying that all men are created equal while believing and treating blacks as subhuman or inferior even while they were making children with them. Wanting to count blacks for representation purposes even though they weren't even allowed to vote. Even the ones who were against slavery didn't free their slaves until after they died.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Many of them?!?! Many?

Er, okay.

Statements like THESE make me positively LOL. Did you even have to ask? Seriously? This ideas upon which this country was founded were hypocritical...but that is a whole other discussion. Meisha did a good job explaining a few points, which seem like common knowledge. Common sense isn't so common though.

@ meisha I definitely understand your point regarding amending the Constitution for certain purposes, I myself am not sure amending the Constitution for the purposes of deterring drunk driving is wise.

I don't think it's kosher for the police to draw and store blood of citizens who refuse breathalyzer tests. Obtain a warrant for my DNA for something you have more concrete probable cause/evidence, not because I refuse to the breathalyzer test. We have seen authorities abuse power and misuse the law to profile certain demographics to suit their agendas. For me destroying the DNA afterwards at least makes this whole thing a little more easier to swallow.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 PM

I understand that some cops abuse their power. The storage of blood could come in handy if there was an issue with the test or if someone lied about the results.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Just one example...
saying that all men are created equal (meaning we are all the same, we all should have the same rights) and owning people.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Errrrr....you need to make up your mind! Those who guard this country are guarding the Constitution that founded and guides it! Obviously it is something those who have never taken the oath, or sacrificed many things to do so, understand but it is the same document that gives people the right to state their opinions no matter how ridiculous!

Wait, people still want freedom of speech? But some so willingly give up the right against unlawful search and seizure? Thank God they are not the ones deciding what parts of the Constitution are valid (here's a hint, they all are!).

What is "absolutely ridiculous" is anyone who thinks otherwise!
I will make my thoughts perfectly clear and you can disagree with them but you should at least know what you are disagreeing with.

In this scenario the people who guard society are a) the police who will be soliciting the warrants for lawful blood draws for those who do not comply, b) the judges who will provide the warrants, c) the DA who will prosecute, and d) of course those who are actively serving in the military though they do not have much to do with this scenario.

Those who attack society are a) drunk drivers and other criminals, b) those who do not like the police protecting us by blood draws and sobriety checkpoints, and c) those who are against our government and claim it is out to hurt us.

Those people have quite backward views, they will whine about the constitution, but it is the police, military, and government who are actually defending society.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Those who attack society are a) drunk drivers and other criminals, b) those who do not like the police protecting us by blood draws and sobriety checkpoints, and c) those who are against our government and claim it is out to hurt us.

Those people have quite backward views, they will whine about the constitution, but it is the police, military, and government who are actually defending society.
Really? REALLY???

You're going to sit there with a straight face and attempt to DENY me the right to disagree with something because it goes against YOUR perception of "right"???

The government defends society, eh??? Ummmm....ever seen any of our government officials being arrested for taking bribes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio