Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,575,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Thank you so much Snappy Bob! Its just perinneals, annuals, some trees I am interested in planting expecially in the backyard. Also I have a bed in the front that I want to do up. I definitely want to get my green thumb on vegetable gardening since the prices of vegetables at any market is horrific but I am scared.

As for the lawn, we water once a week all of it. Is that sufficient especially for the foundation?
Winter time is a good time to plant trees. The root system has a chance to develop before the heat of summer sets in. I'm not sure what kind of tree you are planting but I would not wait until spring to plant it. Check with a reputable nursery. Your lawn watering should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM

437 posts, read 901,046 times
Part of this evening's dinner, picked about an hour ago (the lemon is from a couple of days ago). It doesn't get any fresher!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,745,263 times
Thank you Snappybob about the trees. I am going to be planting leland cypress.

Sshurgot that looks great! I envy your green thumb!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,722,041 times
Quote:
Thank you Snappybob about the trees. I am going to be planting leland cypress.

Might want to think twice about a Leyland Cypress

10 Good Trees Gone Bad

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Maybe I can get some help here,
a neighbor told me that he used some product that he bought at Lowe's or Home Depot that is a mixture of grass seeds, fertilizer and weed killer (something like that) and he was able to grow grass with that.

I still don't have grass on the far back of my backyard (20'X50') and I was hoping to find that product to start using it this spring.
Does anybody know what it is?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM

437 posts, read 901,046 times
Quote:
It was very tasty too. My thumbs really aren't that green at all; there are people out there who are simply AMAZING. The great advantage I have is the fantastic soil down here, and it's deep too. Without that all I would be able to grow is weeds. I don't mulch, I haven't added compost yet (but will in a few weeks when I till), and I do go an extra day without watering sometimes. Thankfully, my vegetables are strong little guys; they have to be with a gardener like me!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Maybe I can get some help here,
a neighbor told me that he used some product that he bought at Lowe's or Home Depot that is a mixture of grass seeds, fertilizer and weed killer (something like that) and he was able to grow grass with that.

I still don't have grass on the far back of my backyard (20'X50') and I was hoping to find that product to start using it this spring.
Does anybody know what it is?

Scotts turf builder with weed control? I know we did a scotts product last year and topped it off with an ironite product and our grass grew. It also was really green. The weeds that went crazy seem to not pop up as much. I do not know if this is what you are looking for

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Quote:
Scotts turf builder with weed control? I know we did a scotts product last year and topped it off with an ironite product and our grass grew. It also was really green. The weeds that went crazy seem to not pop up as much. I do not know if this is what you are looking for
I'll check it out, thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM

4,057 posts, read 5,629,019 times
I think the experts warn against those kind of weed-and-feed products.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I think the experts warn against those kind of weed-and-feed products.
What experts? And what are their warnings?

If anything I followed some instructions from here on CD and I applied Scotts then ironite a few weeks later, my grass was super green and really nice. Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio