Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Beyonce is a Texan; she's from Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
George Strait generally does not play San Antonio. I saw him when the Alamodome first opened.
The dude is king as far as I'm concerned. Even if he just sings his songs without writing them whatever he touches is gold. Wonder why he doesn't play here if he is from this area? He should be headlining imo. Steve Earle would be cool to have there, protest folk country, Flaco Jiminez, conjunto, and Patricia Vonne, Texan music.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Yeah, I knew that Phil Collins had quite the extensive collection of Alamo memorabilia, and I also like his music quite well and always have.

Did not know that Clint Black had a local connection and I love his songs, especially, A Better Man, Killing Time, and Like The Rain. Beyonce has a few good songs too.

Just do not think foreigners, that is anyone not born here in Texas, or pop music, should have anything to do with the Alamo or its celebration.

As far as the DRT, would love to see the Alamo places under the custodianship of the state. The DRT does not really represent Tejanos in my view, and yes I know all about Adina DeZavala as well as the storied history of the DRT in general.

I do feel us Tejanos have as much a right to the heritage of the Alamo as others, our ethnic kin are buried out front, so many of us shed our blood there because of a foolish general, really who lets so many men die against so few. Over 2000 Mexicans died versus over 200 Texians. A very bad general, that had to be deliberate.

I have a theory he did it on purpose, after all he was a Mason, so was Houston, and legend is that after the Battle of San Jacinto the only reason that Houston allowed Santa Anna to live was because he offered up a Masonic distress signal which compelled Houston, a fellow Freemason, to offer his protection. Santa Anna in the end was only loyal to himself in not just that campaign but others as well. Unless of course he was loyal to some other design when it came to Texas.

In either case a tragedy if this event does not go off in March which would be most ideal. The heritage of the Alamo is for all Texans.
Merovee, I understand what you are saying, but don't you think it is great that people from all over appreciate the Alamo? I don't think San Antonio is trying to be something it is not. In other city celebrations, Tejano and Country music are everywhere. That doesn't mean that this celebration shouldn't or won't have that, but we should welcome all kinds of genres and make this grand.

Plus, Phil Collins is an Alamo fan and Beyonce used to come here from Houston when she was very young.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM

In that case they might as well invite Ozzy and have him do his business on the Alamo again lol j/k

Well I suppose I don't even have a say, it looks planned already, whoever plays I just hope it happens in March.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I hope it happens before it is too hot! But maybe they'll add a few more local artists in there and connect to the culture. Hope it goes well.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

Just do not think foreigners, that is anyone not born here in Texas, or pop music, should have anything to do with the Alamo or its celebration.
You gotta be kidding me! Have you ever even stepped foot inside the Alamo? If so, by chance did you happen to notice all the flags inside? Not just the ones of US states, but all those foreign ones? Ever wonder why they're there? It's because men from those countries fought and died during the battle of the Alamo. Men from England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain and Denmark are all known to have died in the fighting.

So go ahead and tell us again how "foreigners" have no place in the celebration of this historic battle for independence!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:34 PM

I would not expect someone not from here, especially not born here, whether they are recent Mexican immigrants or military transplants born elsewhere, to totally respect our local culture or share the sentiment that this Alamo celebration should showcase that very culture.

I understand you perhaps partially respect our local culture but would not be surprised if you are not sensitive to the above stated concern.

Of course most on the Texian side were immigrants. That is a basic fact of history that I am glad you at least understand. Around 10% of the defenders were not even born on the continent and were originally from those countries you listed.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 PM

lol and no, the British themselves, their culture, has nothing to do with the Alamo as far as most are concerned.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Are you the mayor's mother?!?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM

208 posts, read 547,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Men from England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain and Denmark are all known to have died in the fighting.
Spanish? Maybe the flag is there because El Álamo was an spanish mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio