Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,873,632 times

Advertisements

The show is on but with a more down to earth program.

Quote:
The Alamo didn't get the $400,000 in sponsorships it needed to have Phil Collins and other major performers at a nationally televised concert. But the city “realized the importance of marking the 175th anniversary,” and has joined the Daughters of the Republic of Texas in coordinating the events, with help from a few private sponsors, Caridi said.
Alamo revises celebration plan - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Those tourist traps are definitely outsiders that have no business being there.

They stand right about where the west wall of the original compound stood. Travis' headquarters was along the west wall, at the very NW corner, and where he wrote his "Victory or Death" speech.

According to my Opsrey: The Alamo 1836 (Santa Anna's Texas Campaign) book there were two 8-pounders right above that exact spot of where his headquarters should be at, further south along that wall there was one single cannon, then a bit further was an Iron 12-pounder, and finally on the SW corner along the same wall was an Iron 18-pounder.

General Cos at the onset of the battle attacked the NW corner while Colonel Duque attacked the northern wall, the opposite end of the main gate, where Travis fell quite valiantly.

Later General Cos's men and Colonel Morales' men attacked two different sections of the west wall. General Cos's men finally used "axes and crowbars" to smash through "blocked-up windows and posterns". Surely quite a few men from both sides fell along this west wall, tourist traps should not be there!

(The following diagram shows the original compound overlaid modern buildings which can be seen in the background. The west wall is on the very bottom.)

@ mamatotex This also has nothing to do with being open-minded, definitely nothing to do with freethought (look up the definition), but about what is culturally appropriate. This is our sacred ground.
We wandered into Phil Collins place across from the garden area of the Alamo and he had a display of the picture you posted--except with soldiers, etc. Apparently he is on a campaign to restore it. I wish he'd just buy Ripleys, etc and tear them all down. Had a hard time keeping my kids away from the creepy zombie and focused on what the Alamo is. My mother always teared up when she talked about the Alamo--I did too last time I was there. My aunt was DRT--I think I'm still a bit too young to join --and my great-great grandfather was a Ranger for the country and then state of Texas. I'm excited we'll be back before the celebration this year. 8 months living outside of Texas was enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio