Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

Alright, I recently received a job offer in San Antonio and I'm thinking pretty hard about taking it. It's a great position and I've heard really good things about SA in general. Thing is, I also applied for and was offered a job in Colorado Springs and now I'm trying to decide between the two locations and to be completely honest, one of my major deciding factors is the weather! Either option will be better than where I'm currently at in Connecticut!

But here's the deal, I'm not planning on living in the heart of the city...I've read up a bit about smaller towns in the hill country and I'm thinking those might be more my style (as long as the commute isn't too awful), but the question still remains, how's the weather in this part of Texas? I lived in Salt Lake City for many many years and so I'm fairly used to the mountain west weather I'll find in Colorado Springs (although I am not a huge fan of the snow out your ears winters!) but I have never lived anywhere like Texas. Is it awfully hot in the summer? Humid? Like unbearable? I'll admit I do not do well in extreme humidity (living in CT has been a bit of an humidity eye-opener for me!) but a beautiful city and landscape and charm just might be enough to sway me...maybe!

What do you all think? Would it be real rough on someone like me who's never lived in anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The summer is most miserable. Sensible people simply stay indoors and drive with the air conditioner on. I think you could get used to it, most out-of-towners do and tell me to quit complaining because the humidity is supposedly worse in Houston and in states along the Gulf Coast, it is the locals who complain like hell.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I've been here my whole life, so I wouldn't know how hard it would be to adjust. San Antonio's humidity is not as bad as coastal cities, but it can get pretty uncomfortable. During really hot summers, the temperature will be in the upper 90s to over 100 with the humidity close to 100% which pushes the heat index well over 100 degrees. Other than that, the weather here is great. The Hill Country might see a little bit of snow and San Antonio will get a small amount of snow flurries once in a blue moon. When there's sleet or freezing rain (which is just a couple of times a year), the city pretty much shuts down because it makes no sense for us to invest in snow tires or chains. Every few years we have significant flooding, drought is more common, we're not affected much by hurricanes, no earthquakes, and tornadoes are rare. Downdrafts cause very isolated damage during severe storms.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 PM

161 posts, read 330,692 times
Yes. It gets pretty hot during May-September. The summer months are rough, but if you don't spend too much time outside it's no big deal. Most transplants from the NE have a tough time the first summer but like anything, you get used to it. But, um, make sure your A/C unit is working and maintained.

Winters are nice. A few weeks of freezing temps scattered during the season. Rest of the time it's just cool to chilly.

Spring and Fall are when people fall in love with San Antonio. Absolutely gorgeous weather!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Native local folks are actually quite used to it. I rarely hear local people complain about the heat/humidity here as much as those that move here from elsewhere.

Yes, the humidity is quite unbearable at times but that is the price you pay for almost non-existant snow here. With the exception of a freak snow storm every 10+ years, you will see flurries at the most during our winters here.

Hill country will probably suit you best based on your post.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
You must know locals that work outside in the heat or something. Everyone I have ever known from here hates the heat and the smarter ones will cover up fully before going outside because the sun is just terrible for the skin.

Most non-local people I have met must either be from the east where there is more humidity and think this is nothing or from up north and enjoy the heat after living in the miserable cold for years.

Unsure myself how the Hill Country is during the summer but I cannot imagine it being that much cooler to make a difference. It is always cooler there but I just don't know.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
You must know locals that work outside in the heat or something. Everyone I have ever known from here hates the heat and the smarter ones will cover up fully before going outside because the sun is just terrible for the skin.

Most non-local people I have met must either be from the east where there is more humidity and think this is nothing or from up north and enjoy the heat after living in the miserable cold for years.

Unsure myself how the Hill Country is during the summer but I cannot imagine it being that much cooler to make a difference. It is always cooler there but I just don't know.
Inside and outside both. Few complain. Very few, and the ones that do are not originally from Texas.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
San Antonio is in a La Nina drought again, not uncommon here. Get used to water restrictions if you settle in the area. If you choose the Hill Country, check out the water supply status in any area you look at...some areas don't have very abundant water sources. Also the greater S.A. region is a flash flood prone area when it does get heavy rain, so don't settle in an area especially prone to flash flooding. Temps are just a little bit lower in the Hill Country, for the most part, compared with most of S.A. Hot summers, fairly brief mild winters, lovely wildflowers and nice temps in the spring, by May it's getting hot again, hot summers with temps in the upper 90's and some triple digits, usually by October it's cooling off and very nice!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
The sunshine is great for those with dark skin. Many people with dark skin who live up north unknowingly suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
There's pretty much not winter in SA, but in the same way, there's no mountains in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio