Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
The is a total boondoggle

* These d-league teams are terrible and have terrible attendance and financial performance. At best this team has a strong 1st year attendance for "the cause" and then falls off precipitously because most people (Americans) don't care about soccer and most Americans don't care about pro-soccer and most Americans really don't care about d-league soccer.
Ok.... I'm not a big time soccer guy... hell, I really don't care much for the sport. But you're kinda selling it short. Pro soccer is growing here. It wont be anything like the NFL or NBA or even MLB within the next 10 years, but it's growing. Especially with these Soccer Specific Stadiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Sadly, this is true. Soccer is one of the better sports and would make us more like the world.
I'm a "hardcore" soccer fan... but that's one thing I have to disagree.
If we support soccer, is because we like it, not because we want to be like somebody else.

This is the way I see it,
Maybe all the "lower division" sports suck (Missions, Rampage, soccer)
But here's the positive side of them = They are much more affordable for families.
I don't have to pay $200 per ticket to take my kids to go and watch "The best league in the World".
Do you think kids care about that?
I rather take my kids to a Missions, Rampage, Scorpions game where we are with lots of families with little kids (affordable) and we have much more of a chance of meeting "our kids heroes".

I took my son to a St. Louis Cardinals game one time, we sat really high, everything was expensive as hell.
2 innings in the game, he wanted to go home.
A year later we went to a Missions game, things were much cheaper, there were lots of families with kids and my kids watch the whole game and enjoyed it.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
...and most Americans really don't care about d-league soccer.
I forgot to mention,
that's the argument that really bothers me
"Nobody wants to watch a d-league"
Are you kidding me?????

What division is High School football?
They are not even professional, they are a bunch of little kids that barely know how to put gas in their cars
and 1/2 of the city of San Antonio follows them.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm a "hardcore" soccer fan... but that's one thing I have to disagree.
If we support soccer, is because we like it, not because we want to be like somebody else.

This is the way I see it,
Maybe all the "lower division" sports suck (Missions, Rampage, soccer)
But here's the positive side of them = They are much more affordable for families.
I don't have to pay $200 per ticket to take my kids to go and watch "The best league in the World".
Do you think kids care about that?
I rather take my kids to a Missions, Rampage, Scorpions game where we are with lots of families with little kids (affordable) and we have much more of a chance of meeting "our kids heroes".

I took my son to a St. Louis Cardinals game one time, we sat really high, everything was expensive as hell.
2 innings in the game, he wanted to go home.
A year later we went to a Missions game, things were much cheaper, there were lots of families with kids and my kids watch the whole game and enjoyed it.
I thoroughly agree with your post.

It is still true in my opinion that if our American culture appreciated soccer (fútbol) more, rather than football, we would have a better kinship with the world.

Maybe you don't believe that such cosmopolitanism is a worthy aspiration but I do.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I thoroughly agree with your post.

It is still true in my opinion that if our American culture appreciated soccer (fútbol) more, rather than football, we would have a better kinship with the world.

Maybe you don't believe that such cosmopolitanism is a worthy aspiration but I do.
I think the world would be a much better place if it was more like America.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
What division is High School football?
They are not even professional, they are a bunch of little kids that barely know how to put gas in their cars
and 1/2 of the city of San Antonio follows them.
Apples and oranges.

Half of the city graduated from one of the local high schools and thus has reason to care about the fortunes of its alma mater's football team. Another good chunk of the population has kids who go to a high school or one of the elementaries or middle schools that feed into the high school.

A good chunk of the folks in the stands at local high school football games are there to see their son/daughter/niece/nephew/grandson/granddaughter/neighbor/friends/etc. perform on the field for the team/band/dance team/etc. At the average Division 5-A school, there can be somewhere between 200 and 400 kids per school on the field from kickoff to the final whistle. That's a lot of reasons to go to the game and a lot of reasons to care.

OTOH, pro soccer players will likely have no ties to the local area, hail from some other state or country and play a game that most fans of American Football think has too little scoring!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
This is also Texas. High school football is big here, everyone knows that. Not even a full-fledged MSL local team would be able to gain more attention than high school football here in town.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
I think the world would be a much better place if it was more like America.
I guess that means you know a lot about the other 200+ countries in the World.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 AM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,202 times
Quote:
I guess that means you know a lot about the other 200+ countries in the World.
No expert on the other 200+ countries but I love living in a costitutional republic with a capitalist economy. Left CA for TX because I saw which direction CA was headed. USA sure isn't perfect and hasn't always lived up to its ideals, but great to have a country designed around limiting the federal government's roles in our lives rather than built around how much it can control over it.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
No expert on the other 200+ countries but I love living in a costitutional republic with a capitalist economy. Left CA for TX because I saw which direction CA was headed. USA sure isn't perfect and hasn't always lived up to its ideals, but great to have a country designed around limiting the federal government's roles in our lives rather than built around how much it can control over it.
FYI,
California is in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio