Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times

Advertisements

God, there are some private stick-in-the-muds around here...

Okay, getting this 'back on topic for San Antonio:'

I've never had speed issues with AT&T, but parts of SA do have worse coverage than others. When I lived in Stone Oak, I got dropped calls, but I've heard that's been fixed with new and more powerful towers. I can't argue that AT&T has the quickest 3G network. I wish my VZW blackberry would run half-as-fast as my old iPhone.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
A local bonus is that people can now flash their iPhones over to Cricket. I wonder if any features will be lost. I wonder if Cricket is ever going to get 4G service.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
First, I do believe the Iphone will gain many more customers locally who have Verizon. In terms of coverage locally here in San Antonio it will still run on 3G just as AT&T's version already does.

I think, and I hope, that having the Iphone on Verizon and AT&T should help to locally spread out the userbase so that it is not clogging up either network too much.

I think this should in turn help to ease AT&T's local coverage overload because Iphone enthusiasts will now have two cellular-network choices which should help to ease the traffic overburden on AT&T locally here in San Antonio.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Wow, you know, the more I am reading about this the more I am wondering if I should just stick to a Droid. Some of the stuff about the iphone on ZDNet and CNET is discouraging...is it really superior to the Droid X?

(I mean here in San Antonio of course. Because we have to remain on topic and all.)

Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow, you know, the more I am reading about this the more I am wondering if I should just stick to a Droid. Some of the stuff about the iphone on ZDNet and CNET is discouraging...is it really superior to the Droid X?

(I mean here in San Antonio of course. Because we have to remain on topic and all.)
I'm thinking about jumping on the verizon Iphone bandwagon....could you post some specifics (i.e. links) for the info you're talking about?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I buy the best for the lowest price regardless of whether or not it's what everyone else has or wants. For others though, it's pretty cool to have more options with the iPhone.
On a side note I don't think the local prices are that much different between Android devices and iPhones. As far as options? lol just consider that 4g is already available locally on some devices but not the iPhone.

We are also holding out for dual core processing to hit the streets here but beyond the hardware there is a world of difference in software and what can and cannot be done.

Last edited by Merovee; 01-12-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I'm thinking about jumping on the verizon Iphone bandwagon....could you post some specifics (i.e. links) for the info you're talking about?

One of the things that concerns me is that i4 is about to be outdated. i5 is due out this summer, and will most likely be utilizing the same technology that the Droid uses on Verizon (LTE) rather than the current CDMA. So my question is, will CDMA be going by the wayside? Also, neither Apple nor Verizon has talked about data packages and costs (even though there have been published rumors). I'm hoping that means that it will be an unlimited data package but the tradeoff is that you're using an older phone.
Here's what I've been reading:

This first link is just an overall comparison of the two phones:
iPhone 4 vs. Droid X: How do they compare? - CSMonitor.com

Four reasons to not get the Verizon iPhone | ZDNet (always interesting to read comments below...have to kinda weed through them though)

Verizon iPhone: How important is 4G LTE capability? | ZDNet

Everything you need to know about the Verizon iPhone (FAQ) | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

all of this does relate to SA, doesn't it? I mean, we're all in SA and we're all talking about phones that will be available in SA, so that makes it on topic, right?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Thanks. The data package cost could be a show stopper for me, just have to wait and see I guess.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I am with Sprint and was going to switch to AT&T for the iPhone, but instead I stayed and went with the EVO. To say I am beyond extremely happy with the EVO is a huge understatement. I love that phone.
THIS!!!! I love my Evo and I love Sprint. I've had AT&T with the dropped-call-a-day plan and I'm so happy with Sprint. But the Evo is amazing. I just wish I could learn how to stop hanging up on people with my face.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
THIS!!!! I love my Evo and I love Sprint. I've had AT&T with the dropped-call-a-day plan and I'm so happy with Sprint. But the Evo is amazing. I just wish I could learn how to stop hanging up on people with my face.
I'll give props....the EVO is a very nice phone! I've taken a look at it and used it a bit and it's pretty nice.

But the Iphone just makes my heart go pitter patter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio