Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 PM

288 posts, read 926,370 times

Advertisements

I speak Texas, because that's how I was raised. I was born in Houston, lived in Deer Park and then moved to SA as a kid. We have a "warshing machine and dishwarsher" and we are "fixin" to do "thangs" all day long. Everyone one we meet is baby or sweetheart, we wave all the time (and it actually hurts my feelings when someone doesn't wave back), by golly we still say yes mam and no sir! My mom and dad will always be Mama and Daddy, every once in a while I "pitch a hissy fit" and when I make a mistake I throw out a "Well shoot a monkey!".

I am proud to be a Texan-American!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Heck, I still wave at cars in my subdivision. It's what I do. If they don't do it back, that's their issue. It's either the two finger raise or it's the full-on palm, with a twist. LOL

"Hotter than two weevils in a cotton boll"
After moving from Missouri, one of the things I noticed it's that nobody here waves when somebody is polite on the road.
I do it, and feel as goofy as when I use my blinkers on the road.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
After moving from Missouri, one of the things I noticed it's that nobody here waves when somebody is polite on the road.
Oh, I have definitely noticed that it actually used to be more commonplace on the roads in the past, yes.......

Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
I always wave if someone lets me pass. Sometimes I will also wave when I cut someone off.

There are also the passengers on the little train at Brackenridge Park that will also always get a wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I am proud to be a Texan-American!
Dang right!

We also say lots of those things but usually to be funny (:

It is always nice to hear people be friendly with each other speaking in their own dialect, regardless of whatever it is.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,927 times
* - For the uninitiated, it used to be common for folks to wave at each other when passing on Texas backroads. It still happens, but not as much as it used to. It was a nice friendly gesture that I miss, and when it occurs these days it brings a smile to my face.

Oh I agree! I still use the friendly "Texas Wave" whenever I'm not gripping the steering wheel with both hands out of terror, when driving around the city. You don't really see it anymore unless your out in the country..and I love driving out in the sticks. I'm almost afraid to try the wave in town.....some "non-texan" might think your giving him the bird and chase you down.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
It also used to be common for folks to flash your lights to warn others of a cop you just passed if they were going in that direction.

Welcome to the new millennium where urban legend says if you do that now you might get shot...that's why my daddy stopped doing it anyways.

So you are more likely to get flipped off these days than get any sort of friendly wave or a warning with your flashers.

One sweet thing is that if out in the country some people will still pull off to the side to let you pass if they know you want to. Here they just go slow as hell not even caring you are trying to pass....even on the passing lane >_<

Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That was one of the very first things hubby and I noticed about SA--where is the Texas friendliness we not only know and love, but we have given our whole lives? We came to the conclusion that SA is so full of transplants from so many other states, that many of those folks don't know to do the Texas wave (apparently Missouri is not one of those states, LOL). 'Cause I can tell ya, even in diversified Big D, you get out in the 'burbs and people are waving all over the place.

The good news is, most of the folks in this state still wave.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times
Within the city, once you get into a vehicle and realize you are putting your life into the hands of people who should not be driving at all, all friendliness goes away and survival mode kicks in.

When idiots nearly drive into me every day, I speak pure Texan, and it ain't pretty. We have 2 Texan dialects here. One is humorous (or ignorant hillbilly...depending on who you are) and the other is the Texan you don't want to **** off.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM

288 posts, read 926,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
We came to the conclusion that SA is so full of transplants from so many other states, that many of those folks don't know to do the Texas wave.

The good news is, most of the folks in this state still wave.
I definitely think that's what it is! It's transplants that just aren't aware of how we do things here in Texas. We live somewhat in the country (acreage at Medina Lake) so we are still familiar with waving, letting others pass, flashing to warn of a cop, letting neighbors borrow sugar, walking around in the evenings to say hi, etc. I do love my life out here, but I can't stand having to drive from here to the city! Torture!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,024 times
Where we live the access roads are 2 way... As a courtesy most locals out here will turn on their blinker to let the yeilding traffic know that they will not be entering the highway, so the yielder can go ahead and go straight, instead of remain stopped... This pretty much always results in a wave of thanks from both drivers...

I also wave thanks all the time to those who stop far back enough to allow me to turn onto a side street... I have yet to find a car that doesn't stop and let me thru, and as I am turning we both wave at eachother...

I would hate to see the friendly wave go away, so I have told my kids since they were little how they should always wave "thanks" to other drivers, so when the kids are with me they also wave Thank You to other drivers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio