Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 PM

10 posts, read 32,013 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to this forum. My wife & I have a dream of moving to San Antonio that we hope will be a reality very soon. I am really enjoying this forum--so much to read & learn about our favorite city.

I have a question about architecture--particularly about how some houses are built. My question might be very common for San Antonio or Texas or other areas, but we don't see this in our area. Please refer to the picture below. In the circled area, is that supposed to be garage doors? If so, why would a builder do a house this way and how would you ever get a vehicle into the garage (as there appears to be no driveway)?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
fiVe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
it's a model home, the garage is probably used for sales office space. It will be one of the last homes sold in the community and a driveway will be added at that time.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Yes that is model home and is not move-in ready. While people have probably accidentally run over the flower bed while driving into their garage, we do have enough sense to pave the entrance.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Great question though, by the way!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM

10 posts, read 32,013 times
Thanks for the info. You learn something new everyday.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiVe View Post
Thanks for the info. You learn something new everyday.

.....Five...your post made me smile this morning! I can understand your confusion over such a picture! I've seen this before in new communities, and even as a "model" home, it still doesn't made sense that the builder would LANDSCAPE the driveway! I can understand blocking it somehow.....in an attractive way....you know, so it won't be used and have cars "impair" the front facade from potential buyers......but this is just silly!

Thank you for bringing a very sensible question to light that some of us locals have just taken for granted! Builders....wake up! LOL!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:24 PM

409 posts, read 1,560,987 times
Hi! What a funny question! While th emodel homes we looked at in our neighborhood did have paved driveways we never attempted to actually put our vehicle in the garage! We were so shocked on the day of closing when we so proudly ATTEMPTED to pull into the garage! I drive a Yukon XL and my husband drives a Ford F-150 pickup and we both have to pull the driver side mirror in to get int he garage! Let me say that we absolutely love our home and neighbors and just giggle every time we drive up! Who would have thought that garages were that narrow??!! Once in we're fine. We have a tandem garage on one side and it has so mych storage space. Guess I'l be forced to get that fun little car I've been thinking about!!!!!!!!! Darn!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:17 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
The narrow garage are also victims of the oversized SUVs, sadly. Older homes usually end up with bigger garages. Ours has 3 feet of room on either side, about 2 feet in between and a few feet in front of one and a 1/2 tandem spot in front of the other. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: