Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I so miss my days in St Petersburg Fl when all of the streets were numbers. On 3rd street and want to get to 9th street? Guess what? Just go 6 blocks!
or even phoenix...not a great city, but all the streets were built on a grid. Was impossible to get lost there.

Not long after we moved here Mapquest changed their website and I actually called to complain. Recall crying on the phone to some poor Mapquest employee about how difficult it was to live in San Antonio...."All the freeways go in circles!" I screamed. "Do you have any idea what I'm dealing with...it's not just I-410, but 410 south and 410 north and 410 east and 410 southwest....and now you changed Mapquest?!?. Arrrrghhhh!!"

(I'm thinking they have an FBI file on me at this point. You know, just in case.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
I just heard on the news last night that the whole thing is being pushed by the owner of the restaurant on top of the Hemisfair Tower. He says people can't find his restaurant so he wants the city to change the name of that part of Bowie Street to Tower of Americas Way or something like that. Geez. Sad part is, our city councel will probably do it.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
The owner is of course Landry's and they do have clout with city councils in several cities.

It is not as if that segment of Bowie Street is connected to the segment that runs north of Market. Driving south one has to take a left then drive a small distance before finding the rest of Bowie on the right.

I was also going to post last night that if they did change the name of the street it should be to Tower of Americas Avenue since that is the dominant structure there. I reconsidered because it has always been Bowie and changing it would seem kind of odd.

If it happens though it is certainly not something to get all up in arms about.

What is up with naming portions of our interstates after casualties of war, how much does that cost, and do those who object to naming streets after civil rights leaders also object to that?

In the end no one bothers to call any renamed section of a street or interstate after whatever it was renamed to anyways so imo it is all a waste of money.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I just heard on the news last night that the whole thing is being pushed by the owner of the restaurant on top of the Hemisfair Tower. He says people can't find his restaurant so he wants the city to change the name of that part of Bowie Street to Tower of Americas Way or something like that. Geez. Sad part is, our city councel will probably do it.
Sounds like this move is for the benefit of tourists. A critic of city council who goes to all of the meetings wants the council to let the Landry's folks put up signs to direct tourists instead of renaming the street. The Landry's folks say the city won't allow them to do that.

It's a short, dead-end section of the street that would be renamed, so other than resisting change, what's not to like?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Sounds like this move is for the benefit of tourists. A critic of city council who goes to all of the meetings wants the council to let the Landry's folks put up signs to direct tourists instead of renaming the street. The Landry's folks say the city won't allow them to do that.

It's a short, dead-end section of the street that would be renamed, so other than resisting change, what's not to like?
Spending tax money to advertise for a private business. Let landry's put up signs directing their customers to their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio