Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM

693 posts, read 1,501,931 times

Advertisements

I got sick on Tuesday evening had a fever and kept coughing. I went to the doctor on Wednesday and she didn't give me any medicine. Just said to go get sudafed from behind the counter at HEB. I've been hacking my lungs out ever since. Dayquil is not working at all. Cough drops are not helping either. I've been taking some aspirin that's helping with the fever some. Last night I had a fever of 101 now its down to 100. I'm having a hard time sleeping cause of all the coughing. I was finally able to get some sleep last night after 6am. I hate when I get the chills one minute then the next I'm heating up. I might have to go to doctor again if this doesn't go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes, the sore throat does feel like it's on fire. Then when you cough, it burns in your chest. Mucinex has done very little to break things up.....the antibiotics have finally started to help me cough up some of the gunk in my lungs. I'm scared to death I am going to end up with pneumonia. My boss did. My illness is going pretty much the same route his did. If I am not better by Monday, I'll go back to my dr. and get something different. Nyquil is great at night......just to get a little sleep.
Gah! I hope it won't evolve into that, for all of us! I've seen it going around here and with my friends. It's an odd time...not quite cedar related but not quite fluish. Just gross! Maybe if we all throw ourselves a giant pity party we'll feel a tad better by Monday...a holiday!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I think the cedar just completely wore me down this year....the season was long and rough, and it's made me susceptible to illness. My boss has been sick since mid-January, just got out of the hospital last week after a 3-day stay. I really, really don't want to end up in the hospital with this crap.

txmusicgal.....you sound just like me. I recommend going back to the dr. Hope you feel better soon but it doesn't sound like you're going to without meds.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
I know it is tough, but this one requires you guys to wait it out. Just get plenty of rest, antibiotics (if your doctor suggests it) and lots of water (and food).

This one requires time.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,522,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I know it is tough, but this one requires you guys to wait it out. Just get plenty of rest, antibiotics (if your doctor suggests it) and lots of water (and food).

This one requires time.
Well, at least it sounds like I'm not alone, which does give me some conciliation. I'm actually feeling a lot better this afternoon, but I'm still clammy and nauseated.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times
One word: Tamiflu. It works. I used it last week to kill a bout of flu and it did the trick, quickly.

Other than that, large dosages of C (Emergen-C), Zinc and B12 all seem to reduce total flu time.

Flu itself requires NO antibiotics: That's usually only reserved for what the symptoms of flu can cause (sore throat/infection). Only anti-virals will help with flu, which is exactly what tamiflu is. I wouldn't recommend pushing for antibiotics, as taking too many over time can lead the body to resist their healing effect when they're needed most.

BN

Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I tested negative for flu, so it wouldn't help me, I wouldn't think. I'm trusting my doctor. Until Monday. Then I'll have to ask for something else, I suppose.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
guys, the doc doesn't give you antibiotics for the flu, he gives it to you if he thinks that you have a bacterial infection somewhere...and often times that's why we get fevers (our body fighting and using energy against the infection). The flu nearly uses up your entire body's immune system, making it easier for bacteria to creep into the blood stream. Antibiotics are prescribed to help your immune system fight the infection, not the flu virus. I can see how people get confused and wonder why the doc is prescribing antibiotics if one has the flu.

The doctors are fully aware that antibiotics do not help eradicate the flu virus.

Last edited by doss1; 02-18-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
wow. I thought I was recovering nicely so I ran to Sonic to grab a pick me up dinner (I haven't eaten Sonic in ages). After getting in the car, making the two trips to and from the car with food and drinks, eating and taking a quick rest I am like almost about to die. So, I guess I'm not 100% yet!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,522,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
wow. I thought I was recovering nicely so I ran to Sonic to grab a pick me up dinner (I haven't eaten Sonic in ages). After getting in the car, making the two trips to and from the car with food and drinks, eating and taking a quick rest I am like almost about to die. So, I guess I'm not 100% yet!
I called my Doctors office this morning asking if I could get something for nausea. The receptionist says she'll pass the request on to the dr.

I finally get a call at 7:45 tonight from the doctor stating she doesn't give out medicine to patients unless they come to her office. She already "diagnosed" me on Wednesday. I just needed something for nausea instead of Pepto.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio