Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

It's very admirable. It's just that if there is a new family in town that came from somewhere else that may have Dollar Nights that are not as immensely popular as they are here, they should know that generally speaking, Dollar Nights are craptastically busy and super crowded. I did not mean to disparage the poor or the value-conscious among us. Jeez. Sometimes opinion boards are silly. Only one opinion is allowed but not all of us get the memo in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
I'd pay a buck just to go watch those cute little pigs race! They were adorable.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It's very admirable. It's just that if there is a new family in town that came from somewhere else that may have Dollar Nights that are not as immensely popular as they are here, they should know that generally speaking, Dollar Nights are craptastically busy and super crowded. I did not mean to disparage the poor or the value-conscious among us. Jeez. Sometimes opinion boards are silly. Only one opinion is allowed but not all of us get the memo in time.
I didn't think you were disparaging the poor or value-conscious. I agree those days are insane. Even I wouldn't go to be honest. I am one of those that avoid such madness.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
My son went on dollar day a few years ago. He would have been in his early twenties at that time. He said he would never go on dollar day again. The place was full of thugs and punks. The kind of people that do not have enough sense to have a job earning enough to pay for regular admission. This is not to say that everyone that goes on dollar day is there to be nuisance and cause trouble but apparently, there was enough trash there to make it, as he put it, dangerous.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Thugs and punks.... maybe ol' HCHRM needs to get these types in touch with a nice lil' riding bull

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
My son went on dollar day a few years ago. He would have been in his early twenties at that time. He said he would never go on dollar day again. The place was full of thugs and punks.
Did he go during the DAYtime or sometime after sundown? Anytime you're out late (once the sun goes down), there will always be types of people you don't wanna be around. IMO, the same thing applies to the fiesta carnival every year. Go during the daytime, but leave at sundown if you're really "that" concerned.

During the daytime it's much safer and family friendly. At the Rodeo, they even do elementary-school tours every weekday during the week in the afternoons (I worked the rodeo last year and I saw them there everyday during the 3-something weeks that I was there). So if it's safe for young kids during the day, I'm sure it's just as safe for everyone else during the day on "Dollar Day."

Regardless, even on "non-dollar" days you will STILL have people around you that you may not feel comfortable with. If you don't like it, then don't go. It's as simple as that!

Also, as we all probably know, the Rodeo location, is not in the most "favorable" part of San Antonio. However, that still doesn't stop all of your typical "suburbia" from trekking to the East Side of San Antonio on a regular basis to cheer on their Spurs in the AT&T Center.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 PM

288 posts, read 926,555 times
Does anyone know if coupons for grounds admission are available anywhere? We want to go on Thursday later afternoon to take the kids to see the animals, and don't really want to pay quite so much just to walk through the stock show. TIA

Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
Does anyone know if coupons for grounds admission are available anywhere? We want to go on Thursday later afternoon to take the kids to see the animals, and don't really want to pay quite so much just to walk through the stock show. TIA
I really doubt that there are any coupons for discounted grounds admission. In the many years of living here in SA, I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
Went to $day today from about 10-6, great fun! I haven't been to the rodeo in decades, it brought back many nice memories. The kids had lots of fun, esp on the rides. All the rides were $1, they rode them for hours and it was still cheaper than an armband, and way better than full price which is $3-9 per ride. The $ drinks were very handy as even the water there is very expensive. Good crowd all day, but the lines started to get too long about 4:30-5:00. No thug incidents, but did almost get stepped on by a cow, and a deer tried to eat my shirt! Anybody that is going this weekend, be sure to try the coin operated foot massagers, they are a Godsend to throbbing feet. Many thanks to xsa for the post, I knew the 1st Friday is $days, but I didn't know the others were too, and never saw any advertising that was clear about it. Be back next year. Next stop, Folklife Festival!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Went to $day today from about 10-6, great fun! I haven't been to the rodeo in decades, it brought back many nice memories. The kids had lots of fun, esp on the rides. All the rides were $1, they rode them for hours and it was still cheaper than an armband, and way better than full price which is $3-9 per ride. The $ drinks were very handy as even the water there is very expensive. Good crowd all day, but the lines started to get too long about 4:30-5:00. No thug incidents, but did almost get stepped on by a cow, and a deer tried to eat my shirt! Anybody that is going this weekend, be sure to try the coin operated foot massagers, they are a Godsend to throbbing feet. Many thanks to xsa for the post, I knew the 1st Friday is $days, but I didn't know the others were too, and never saw any advertising that was clear about it. Be back next year. Next stop, Folklife Festival!
You're welcome! Glad you had fun. Next year will be here before we know it.

Folklife is always is great....but we have Fiesta coming up too. The fun is just beginning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio