U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 19,513 times

Advertisements

Hi..

I want to first thank the residents of SA who help answer questions for the new transplants. I have scoured over threads dating back a few years and you have provided a wealth of information! What a wonderful welcome for us transplants!

We will be moving to SA in July. From information I learned from your posts we are looking at the NEISD district. My son is interested in JROTC and excited to learn that Johnson has a rifle range and rifle team. I read that this is a fast growing area and that schools may be capped in certain areas.

Does anyone know if Barbara Bush/Lopez Middle Schools and Johnson High School have caps on them?

We only have 10 days to rent a house in June and want to make sure our kids attend the above schools.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
We are relocating to SA, too. Here is something I found for NEISD regarding capping.

North East Independent School District

Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 6,176,263 times
The following link might help answer some of your questions:
North East Independent School District

Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 PM

Thanks for those websites - just the information I needed!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,057,333 times
You might want to check the boundaries of those schools...there is a very small pocket of homes that will go to Bush MS then Johnson HS. Most of Bush, and all of Lopez goes to Reagan HS. However, since Bush is nearing cap status, you could end up at Lopez MS.

To make matters more complicated, if you move to the Johnson attendance area, chances are you will be in the Tejeda attendance zone. BUT, they are capped, so you would be overflow to either Driscoll or Lopez (was Bush).

The links posted above detail this info...confusing!! The bottom line is, based on the geographical area you seem interested in, you will find yoruself in a great school.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,260,658 times
Call the schools or the district and verify that the information you have found is accurate.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
You might want to check the boundaries of those schools...there is a very small pocket of homes that will go to Bush MS then Johnson HS. Most of Bush, and all of Lopez goes to Reagan HS. However, since Bush is nearing cap status, you could end up at Lopez MS.

To make matters more complicated, if you move to the Johnson attendance area, chances are you will be in the Tejeda attendance zone. BUT, they are capped, so you would be overflow to either Driscoll or Lopez (was Bush).

The links posted above detail this info...confusing!! The bottom line is, based on the geographical area you seem interested in, you will find yoruself in a great school.
I am so easily confused and this capping issue has me blown away! To make matters worse we can't come for a house hunting trip until the end of June and then move in July. How do you know which school your child would be attending when you move in the summer? Will the real estate agents be "guessing" when they tell us the school?

Both of my children are in MS and this is a big issue for me...thanks for all your input..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,214,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownfamily25419 View Post
I am so easily confused and this capping issue has me blown away! To make matters worse we can't come for a house hunting trip until the end of June and then move in July. How do you know which school your child would be attending when you move in the summer? Will the real estate agents be "guessing" when they tell us the school?

Both of my children are in MS and this is a big issue for me...thanks for all your input..
I would not rely on your realtor's word 100 percent, and definitely contact the NEISD school district.

If I were you I would try to move within Bush's boundary to ensure a spot at that school -- if that's the school you are set on. Cross Tejeda MS off your list. You won't be able to get into that school even if you move within its boundary. Lopez is also a good school and not capped yet. Driscoll would be my last choice.

Johnson was just built 3 or 4 years ago and still has room to grow. And NEISD allows students to choose schools outside of their boundary if there is room at the campus. So even if you move within Reagan High School's boundary, you can still ask to go to Johnson. The only downside is your kid will not have bus transportation. You will be responsible for getting him to and from school. More info at NEISD News | School Choice for 2011-2012.

The high school will be an easier situation. It's the middle schools that are getting capped and another one won't be built for at least a few more years. Longer if the bond does not pass. Focus all your energy on figuring out which middle school you can get into.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,057,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownfamily25419 View Post

Contact NEISD Pupil Personnel when you get closer to the date...they will tell you the latest on capping. Your RE agent may not have the most updated info. A quick call to the schools themselves will also confirm the situation. And, kids get "called back" (to their home school) all of the time. Your date of "residency' is the date of your purchase or lease contract, not necessarily your moving date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio