Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM

76 posts, read 168,550 times

Advertisements

to answer the OP, my kids can ride their scooters in the front driveway alone, but they are NOT to step foot in the street or leave the front of the house. However I'm usually outside with them or in the garage but at times we leave them alone to get chores done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM

161 posts, read 359,200 times
I know it's tongue in cheek, but it's a pretty extreme leap from a parent not allowing kids to play in the front yard unsupervised to that.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,339,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
As someone who is not a parent...I am amused by all these parents trying to tell each other how to be parents.
...and I am amused because I can't wait to hear from you when you ARE a parent. I have no doubt you'll be expressing your opinion as well.

I don't really see parents telling each other how to be parents here. I just see differences of opinion. Yeah, people can get judgemental but that's with anything. He*l, you can't raise a puppy without people sticking their freaking noses in. It's annoying...but when you put your viewpoint out there you have to expect there will be those that will balk and give you the ol' what-for.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 02-07-2011 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: italic correction

Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,718,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
...and I am amused because I can't wait to hear from you when you ARE a parent. I have no doubt you'll be expressing your opinion as well.

I don't really see parents telling each other how to be parents here. I just see differences of opinion. Yeah, people can get judgemental but that's with anything. He*l, you can't raise a puppy without people sticking their freaking noses in. It's annoying...but when you put your viewpoint out there you have to expect there will be those that will balk and give you the ol' what-for.
I seriously doubt I will be a parent (I am gay).

Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM

905 posts, read 1,623,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I seriously doubt I will be a parent (I am gay).
A dear friend of mine who is gay has two adopted children with his partner. You never know......

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM

615 posts, read 1,517,828 times
For what it's worth... we've let our 5 year old play out front since we moved here in April. She's 6 now, as of 6 days ago, but our street is very safe. We live on a cul-de-sac, with a bunch of other military families. No sex offenders in our neighborhood and it's very quiet.

Then again, when we lived in the city, we never let her out of the apartment by herself.

Here, as long as I can hear them giggling or what not, it's ok. I've caught our daughter up the street inside a friends house, and she got in trouble for it. She needs to be outside. She's also usually only out there when the neighbors 8 year old kid is as well.

To each their own though... we've been letting her play outside semi-supervised since she was 4, in our communal backyard in military housing. It's about how you teach your children and raise them. If you nurture and shelter your children too much, they wont ever understand what danger or fear is.

Why have we changed so much in society where we shelter our children from everything?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,317,623 times
Take a course in criminology. While, it is a low probability event for a snatch - we never let ours be unwatched.

Also, in our neighborhood we have a significant number of loose dogs. I once tried to convince the neighbor's kid NOT to go play with the loose pooch. Who knows were the parents were? She was about 4 ish. Didn't listen to me and went running after the dog. It could have been Darwin time but she was ok.

We also have had coyotes walking down the street about school bus time.

However, Darwinian selection is good for humanity and YMMV for your kid.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,517,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Take a course in criminology. While, it is a low probability event for a snatch - we never let ours be unwatched.

Also, in our neighborhood we have a significant number of loose dogs. I once tried to convince the neighbor's kid NOT to go play with the loose pooch. Who knows were the parents were? She was about 4 ish. Didn't listen to me and went running after the dog. It could have been Darwin time but she was ok.

We also have had coyotes walking down the street about school bus time.

However, Darwinian selection is good for humanity and YMMV for your kid.
Just because people commit crimes, doesn't mean my child is going to get "snatched" in the front yard. You have the same odds of someone walking into your house with a handgun and shooting you. Does that mean I can come on here and tell you to take a course in criminology?

If you're trying to make a point about sheltering your child and having to do with Darwinism... go watch the movie Idiocracy, it might resemble the way the world is, in 200 years.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:51 PM

679 posts, read 1,795,895 times
I view it as a calculated risk... I take the same sort of risk when I take my bike out for a 25 mile ride alone on the roads. Or get in a car or on a plane. The benefits, for me, outweigh the risks. The enjoyment I know my children get from being able to be independent, get fresh air and exercise, and go outside whenever they please, is worth the obscenely minute risk of being kidnapped. You just can't live life in fear. If you do, "they" have won.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,718,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
A dear friend of mine who is gay has two adopted children with his partner. You never know......
True, but I am not looking to adopt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio