Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,420,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
You have to think, When Cash Money was on top of the game with the Hot Boyz, the industry was different then. Southern music was starting to get very popular. & even then, music was not being downloaded illegally like it is today, so people HAD to pay for that cd in order for them to have it for themselves. Internet wasn't even as fast back then, I think I had dial up haha.
In this industry, as well as life, it's not about what you know, but WHO you know. I'm sure you're aware of that. People that may not have as much skill/talent may get something over somebody that has MORE skill/talent because of who they know. So if you want to keep making music for your ears only, then do it. But just think about what you do if you start off somewhere, then build yourself up enough to start calling the shots...
Cash Money was able to ride on the coattails of No Limit which created a market that wasn't there. But you are right, CD sales were at their peak at the time. It is still much easier to promote on the internet than the way they did it though. I'm not desperate to make money off of music alone, that's why I'm in school. If people happen to hear my music, then I'll be happy; if they don't, I don't really care because I have other career goals. I make music because I love to make music and I wouldn't let micromanagement from a record label ruin that for me. The internet is not going to go away and there is still money to be made on places like iTunes if you don't have the RIAA sucking up all of the profits. The RIAA can even collect fees on independent artists. The RIAA needs to be put out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
I haven't read through all the pages, but do people have problems with reception of this channel? I live by 1604/Bandera and I can never get reception at all. The only time I was able to tune in was when I was driving down I-10 going downtown.
The reception has always been bad; it used to be worse. I don't know if my newer vehicle has a better antenna, but in my old one, I would lose reception in a lot of places. Now, I get it pretty much everywhere; the quality is just not as good as the other stations.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Hyp

97 posts, read 121,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Cash Money was able to ride on the coattails of No Limit which created a market that wasn't there. But you are right, CD sales were at their peak at the time. It is still much easier to promote on the internet than the way they did it though. I'm not desperate to make money off of music alone, that's why I'm in school. If people happen to hear my music, then I'll be happy; if they don't, I don't really care because I have other career goals. I make music because I love to make music and I wouldn't let micromanagement from a record label ruin that for me. The internet is not going to go away and there is still money to be made on places like iTunes if you don't have the RIAA sucking up all of the profits. The RIAA can even collect fees on independent artists. The RIAA needs to be put out of business.
Promotion is best online, or on TV. But the internet messes up business where it creates it as well. The pros & cons of the interweb...

Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
Promotion is best online, or on TV. But the internet messes up business where it creates it as well. The pros & cons of the interweb...
Yeah, but there's not much that can be done. You might as well go with the flow. I kind of take that back. Since Limewire was shut down, music pirating has gone down, but the music industry managed to still lose sales. Good luck on your endeavors and remember that HD 2 of 91.7 is willing to play local artists.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Yeah, but there's not much that can be done. You might as well go with the flow. I kind of take that back. Since Limewire was shut down, music pirating has gone down, but the music industry managed to still lose sales. Good luck on your endeavors and remember that HD 2 of 91.7 is willing to play local artists.
Awesome info, I'll keep that in mind when I start putting out production from myself.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
I think the problem is with the advertisers thinking that everyone wants to hear Top 40 garbage, much like the club owners in our scene, DJ's are puppets in most instances because the club owner dictates what to play.. A DJ's job is to figure out what the people want to hear, I am a vocal house DJ and I hear constantly that people love my music, yet you won't hear any of it here in SA on the radio or in a club...

The bottom line is: the radio stations change formats when advertisers are not interested in their format enough to invest their money, at that point the station can no longer run in the red.

It's sad that the days of going out to the clubs to hear FRESH & NEW music are gone- now you hear the same crap from the radio.. If I wanted to hear that radio crap I would get a 12 pack and stay home..

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMarkTx View Post
I think the problem is with the advertisers thinking that everyone wants to hear Top 40 garbage, much like the club owners in our scene, DJ's are puppets in most instances because the club owner dictates what to play.. A DJ's job is to figure out what the people want to hear, I am a vocal house DJ and I hear constantly that people love my music, yet you won't hear any of it here in SA on the radio or in a club...

The bottom line is: the radio stations change formats when advertisers are not interested in their format enough to invest their money, at that point the station can no longer run in the red.

It's sad that the days of going out to the clubs to hear FRESH & NEW music are gone- now you hear the same crap from the radio.. If I wanted to hear that radio crap I would get a 12 pack and stay home..
Very true. I, also, am a House Head, and when I open up my nights, I usually play from 10-11 straight progressive house that has just been released within the last couple of months, that way people can get a feel or at least knowledge of what is brand new, then from 11-11:30/45 I play top 40 upbeat music (120bpm+) and then as the night goes, I figure out what the crowd likes. Lots of DJs in Sa, and Tx in general, don't really know how to build a crowd up, and, keep them there. Now I think is the best time to introduce what we love (House Music) with what people already know (top 40 electropop junk) that way they can stay on that same pattern of upbeat fun dance music. Up to us dj's to keep that change going =)

Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM

25 posts, read 30,178 times
98.5 has got to be the worst r&b/hip-hop station in the entire world. it's bad enough that there's only 1 station playing Black music, but when you hear the same 5 or 6 songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....

No San Antonio artists, no Texas artists, no time set aside for community talk, no decent morning show, no real late night slow jam show, no nothing, but the same 5 or 6 songs over and over and over and over again.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryMack View Post
98.5 has got to be the worst r&b/hip-hop station in the entire world. it's bad enough that there's only 1 station playing Black music, but when you hear the same 5 or 6 songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....

No San Antonio artists, no Texas artists, no time set aside for community talk, no decent morning show, no real late night slow jam show, no nothing, but the same 5 or 6 songs over and over and over and over again.
If there was an 98.5 thread this would make the most sense. But 97.7 does not play hip hop, they play dance music. I agree with you as far as 98.5 goes, and how they lack in the variety of music they play. But every radio station plays the same thing over & over, no matter what format they have. Just one of those things where you live with it & listen, or play cd's or XM radio

Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM

448 posts, read 915,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryMack View Post

The Beat used to have community talk on Sunday mornings but not sure if they still do. However, feel free to check on Sunday mornings at 6am.

As for the slow jamz, they had it each week night but with more competition by KTFM and Mix 96.1, it was a logical move to remove a program that wasn't producing numbers. The Beat is still a powerhouse in SA but definitely not dominating the market as it once was. I said this before, the Hip Hop format is dead and The Beat had no opition but to move to Top 40 Rhythmic. Unlike KTFM, The Beat still leans Hip Hop but it's not 24/7 Hip Hop like in years past.

Keep in mind, many stations across the country that were "All Hip Hop" have moved to Top 40 Rhythmic or flipped to another profitable format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio