Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 PM

693 posts, read 1,501,756 times

Advertisements

I was listening to 97.7 earlier they play other genres besides dance it seems. How is Kings of Leon Use Somebody, All American Rejects Gives You Hell, & Bruno Mars Grenade dance music?

Last edited by txmusicgal; 02-25-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
Glad you have the same idea as most others on the site, and in San Antonio. 97.7 really needs to bring more to the table then the other stations. Like I've said before, I love the idea, just hope more gets put into the station for it to really gain some success.
Thanks, glad to see their are some other music lovers in SA that don't just listen to top 40 all the time.

I love me some good dance music! I'm a sucker for cheesy pop and electropop. I like top 40 too but I really love alternative/indie rock music. The kind that doesn't get much radio play at least not in SA it doesn't. All we have is top 40, country, overplayed old school rock and spanish stations. We have no good r&b & soul stations either.

We could finally have a chance at a great dance station but no they have to play top 40 dance. There are plenty of dance songs they could play that aren't in the top 40 right now. Or play songs that the other stations aren't playing yet. SA just really needs better radio stations and stop going with the norm music wise. Of course we can't be Austin but we could step up our game a bit.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM

448 posts, read 918,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Thanks, glad to see their are some other music lovers in SA that don't just listen to top 40 all the time.

I love me some good dance music! I'm a sucker for cheesy pop and electropop. I like top 40 too but I really love alternative/indie rock music. The kind that doesn't get much radio play at least not in SA it doesn't. All we have is top 40, country, overplayed old school rock and spanish stations. We have no good r&b & soul stations either.

We could finally have a chance at a great dance station but no they have to play top 40 dance. There are plenty of dance songs they could play that aren't in the top 40 right now. Or play songs that the other stations aren't playing yet. SA just really needs better radio stations and stop going with the norm music wise. Of course we can't be Austin but we could step up our game a bit.
How is Austin radio better than SA?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
I was listening to 97.7 earlier they play other genres besides dance it seems. How is Kings of Leon Use Somebody, All American Rejects Gives You Hell, & Bruno Mars Grenade dance music?
I think Univision is probably thinking that playing Top 40 will be the best way to compete with Mix and KTFM. Maybe it'll see success or maybe it'll end up like the past hip hop stations that couldn't compete with The Beat because they weren't doing anything different.

I turned to 97.7 when I was driving to work and it was playing some dance remixes of Top 40 music.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Something has got to give eventually.. I think having 3 CHR/Pop stations in one market is completely unsustainable and over time each of these stations will gain a bit more of an identity.

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock into 97.7. Univision doesn't seem to be dumping any money in it, it's just there to take listeners away from 94.1 KTFM and Mix 96.1 so that 98.5 The Beat can perform better. They did the same thing to 99.5 KISS when they were 97.7 Rock. It's a fringe station, relatively weak inner city signal that's not meant to be a winner. The lack of a website (outside of facebook), internet streaming, and on air personalities says it all.

The station I think most susceptible to changing would be 94.1 KTFM. Plenty is being invested in the station, yet it still struggles in the ratings several months later compared to 98.5 The Beat and Mix 96.1.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Hyp

97 posts, read 121,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think Univision is probably thinking that playing Top 40 will be the best way to compete with Mix and KTFM. Maybe it'll see success or maybe it'll end up like the past hip hop stations that couldn't compete with The Beat because they weren't doing anything different.

I turned to 97.7 when I was driving to work and it was playing some dance remixes of Top 40 music.
But see Dance remix's of the song's we already get tired of, is still playing the song we get tired of lol. Same song, different beat. To me, I think 97.7 would do GREAT if they played more than Top 40. They are thinking that "96.1 does good because they play top 40, we will try and do the same thing." And lots of times, that is the case. But I think for Sa, people are ready for something different, something new. If they just tried, for at least a couple months, and gave different "Dance" music the opportunity, I think people would not only appreciate it, but want to listen to what other songs could be heard that they have not heard...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
How is Austin radio better than SA?
For one Austin has more of a variety then SA. Two it has a good alternative/indie rock station which we don't have at all. It has more rock/alternative and some college radio stations. We have college radio but it mostly plays jazz at trinity. One thing SA sort of has is a dance station which Austin doesn't have. Our dance is mostly just top 40 stuff not real club music. If it is not in the top 40 they're not playing it on 97.7.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 121,933 times
Austin's night life has stepped it's game up a lot within the last couple of years. Their radio stations have always had a variety of music. A couple stations to each age group/crowd. They used to play LOTS of EDM back in 2002-2003 area on an old radio station (104.3) but then that changed to Hip hop, and then eventually closed down :-/

Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM

448 posts, read 918,854 times
Quote:
For one Austin has more of a variety then SA. Two it has a good alternative/indie rock station which we don't have at all. It has more rock/alternative and some college radio stations. We have college radio but it mostly plays jazz at trinity. One thing SA sort of has is a dance station which Austin doesn't have. Our dance is mostly just top 40 stuff not real club music. If it is not in the top 40 they're not playing it on 97.7.
Because SA doesn't have an Alternative Rock station, Austin more variety? Umm okay.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
The last time I was in Austin, I heard a greater variety of pop and soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio