Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

The people that are for dropping sports, music, basically any classes that you deem as " frivolous" or not needed.....do you currently have children enrolled in public school? And if so, your kids are not taking advantage of any of the opportunities afforded them? I'm sincerely interested in knowing. My son is in band at the middle school level, and as a band booster officer, I can tell you that we bust our butts raising funds for these kids. The kids are treated to parties, better uniforms than the school can provide, additional equipment, and private lessons, among other things. My son does football, basketball, and track as well....the fb team also has booster members that sell snacks, etc to raise funds. It is my understanding that our role as fundraiser is going to increase exponentially with all the budget cuts coming ahead. We will have to pay for bus transportation for the bands to get to the games, and travel to any off- campus competitions or performances. ALL WORTH IT!!! Cuts are being made but parents will still support their kids in sports and music!!!

My kid goes to high school next year and plans to continue with sports and band. And I will be out there trying to hustle money for these kids, because it is such an important part of their education, no matter what the naysayers believe. The difference in my kid's outlook, sense of belonging, time management, teamwork, and sense of purpose from 3 years of middle school involvement--I can't begin to put a price on it. And it is not just 3 kids....these opportunities are available to all kids. Some choose to sit back and watch. The ones that get involved do much better in high school and beyond. No link....just life. Look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
band nerd here, and I agree 100%

band and football was a large portion of those "influential" high school years. I'm glad to have been part of it. And my group of friends in dance, band, and football have all gone on to graduate from college and we're all doing pretty good for ourselves.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM

502 posts, read 934,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The people that are for dropping sports, music, basically any classes that you deem as " frivolous" or not needed.....do you currently have children enrolled in public school? And if so, your kids are not taking advantage of any of the opportunities afforded them? I'm sincerely interested in knowing. My son is in band at the middle school level, and as a band booster officer, I can tell you that we bust our butts raising funds for these kids. The kids are treated to parties, better uniforms than the school can provide, additional equipment, and private lessons, among other things. My son does football, basketball, and track as well....the fb team also has booster members that sell snacks, etc to raise funds. It is my understanding that our role as fundraiser is going to increase exponentially with all the budget cuts coming ahead. We will have to pay for bus transportation for the bands to get to the games, and travel to any off- campus competitions or performances. ALL WORTH IT!!! Cuts are being made but parents will still support their kids in sports and music!!!

My kid goes to high school next year and plans to continue with sports and band. And I will be out there trying to hustle money for these kids, because it is such an important part of their education, no matter what the naysayers believe. The difference in my kid's outlook, sense of belonging, time management, teamwork, and sense of purpose from 3 years of middle school involvement--I can't begin to put a price on it. And it is not just 3 kids....these opportunities are available to all kids. Some choose to sit back and watch. The ones that get involved do much better in high school and beyond. No link....just life. Look around.
What this guy said! Not just sports but all extra curricular activities play an important role in kids lives. I remember when they decided to cut Auto-body from our school there was plenty of my piers that were lost...The things kids and Young Adults learn from these experiences is something that most will carry with them the rest of there lives. The Class room cant teach you how to learn discipline, pride, or teamwork. You can only learn so much from just reading a book...

Lets say if they do decide to cut off sports, then what are these kids gonna do when school is out? I have one idea, they'll be roaming the streets up to no good, or just inside watching T.V. getting fatter and dumber by the second. Trust me no Kid or Teen is gonna have there nose in a book 24/7.

If you really want to help get involved! You do not have to be a parent to help out. Don't sit there and whine about budget cuts and have opportunities you chose to give up as a child get taken away from others that might want to take advantage of.

BTW Sports paid the way for my schooling! And Im sure I'm not the only kid that benefited from sports either...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Why are people saying that "Kids need sports to stay in shape?"
Give me a freaking break,
I was in HS for 3 years and I can count with 1 hand how many times I was allowed to walk on the grass of the football field.
Just like the 50% of HS students that are not in a team.
(BTW, I could have played, I just didn't have the time)

Basketball gym, different story, because that's where all the PE classes were held.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Actaully sports in most schools especailly footbal make money. It also is a source of scholarships for many kids.There are alot of other extra activities that can be elimnate that effect alot less kids before sports .

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Ok, keep sports,
we don't need grammar teachers anyway now that we have "facebook"

Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, keep sports,
we don't need grammar teachers anyway now that we have "facebook"
Sweet, thanks!!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sweet, thanks!!
You're welcome
I'll do that trade, as long as you let soccer teams play on the football fields
otherwise there's no deal

Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Soccer teams on the football field?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM

288 posts, read 926,225 times
Cutting sports out is absolutely not the answer. Cutting any program is not necessarily the answer. Being smarter with the money districts are given IS the answer. I have been in education for almost 10 years and can attest to how much money is wasted. COMPLETELY.WASTED. Let's start by scrutinizing spending and I can ASSURE you we will find plenty of money to cut from the budget.

One program I would like to see overhauled, which I believe really stems from welfare problems, is the K4 program. Do I think it's all bad? Absolutely not. Could we cut some funding by maintaining a more strict standard by which students are admitted? Definitely. As it stands right now (in NISD), in order to be admitted to K4 the child must be:
1. unable to speak or comprehend the English language (speak another language other than English)*
or
2. educationally disadvantaged—(eligible to participate in the National Free/Reduced Lunch Program)
or
3. homeless
or
4. come from a family whose parent or official guardian is "active-duty" military personnel or whose parent/guardian was killed or injured while on active duty.
or
5. have been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing.

In addition to the above reasons, on the back end one of the reasons governments offer the K4 program is for low income families to gain child care a year earlier than kindergarten. So, those of you that are upset about sports...does it upset you that it's now YOUR responsibility to teach kids English because their parents either won't or can't speak it in the home and it's YOUR responsibility to pay for an additional year of child care for low income families. And, speaking from experience, it's REALLY frustrating when you walk your K4 children outside at the end of the day and mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, little sister, little brother and the dog walk up to pick up the 4 year old from the free day of child care your tax dollars just paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio