Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times

Advertisements

The neighbor was BBQ'ing today and the smell was out of this world.
Any ideas on good meats and such to BBQ that can be bought in San Antonio -

What about grills where can I buy one in San Antonio and gas or electric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
If you're talking brisket, then really almost any brisket will do. Packer trimmed. Fat side up when smoking. And no gas or electic. Mesquite or oak. A good off the shelf rub like Bolner's will do you well. Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
If you're talking brisket, then really almost any brisket will do. Packer trimmed. Fat side up when smoking. And no gas or electic. Mesquite or oak. A good off the shelf rub like Bolner's will do you well. Good Luck!
^^^^Don't forget pecan wood. Never use gas or electric. It ain't barbecue if it ain't smoked.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,299 times
Use the gas grills for your fast cooking meats like fish, steaks, pre-marinated meats, and wieners,...and the wood burning pits for a nice size brisket, chicken, beef or pork ribs, and sausage,...If your just starting-out with pit cooking,..start with some 1/2 chickens and sausage and work your way up to the heavier meats. Use mesquite, oak, pecan for your smoke,..and keep that lid closed so the meats cook (a pet peeve of mine). Bolners Fiesta spices do have a great selection of spices for your different types of meat.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM

73 posts, read 152,116 times
I am definitely a fan of pecan. I usually do a 50/50 mix (mesquite/ pecan) to start and after about 3-4 hours, I switch over to 100% pecan.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
Use the gas grills for your fast cooking meats like fish, steaks, pre-marinated meats, and wieners,...and the wood burning pits for a nice size brisket, chicken, beef or pork ribs, and sausage,...If your just starting-out with pit cooking,..start with some 1/2 chickens and sausage and work your way up to the heavier meats. Use mesquite, oak, pecan for your smoke,..and keep that lid closed so the meats cook (a pet peeve of mine). Bolners Fiesta spices do have a great selection of spices for your different types of meat.

Do I buy two grills? Would it be Lowes or Home Depot where I make the purchase?

Thank you everyone!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM

73 posts, read 152,116 times
Chargriller makes one that is both. Kinda expensive though.

Duo Model #5050

Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,573 times
Are you looking for a gas or electric grill and what is your price range?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,299 times
I have 5 pits,...3 gas grills (all were given to me) and 2 wood burning pits that are cut-out of 55 gallon steel drums. One of the wood burning pits was my dads who purchased it at a welding shop on S. Presa back in 1972,...bottom hasn't burned through and still cooks excellent. If you're gonna just start and experiment with the wood burning pits,...H.E.B.'s sells a nice size pit for a good price,...just don't extinguish the fire with water after you are finished cooking (burns through after a while),..let the fire burn-out on its own...the pit will last alot longer if you do this. I think all the gas grills are overpriced.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I have 5 pits,...3 gas grills (all were given to me) and 2 wood burning pits that are cut-out of 55 gallon steel drums. One of the wood burning pits was my dads who purchased it at a welding shop on S. Presa back in 1972,...bottom hasn't burned through and still cooks excellent. If you're gonna just start and experiment with the wood burning pits,...H.E.B.'s sells a nice size pit for a good price,...just don't extinguish the fire with water after you are finished cooking (burns through after a while),..let the fire burn-out on its own...the pit will last alot longer if you do this. I think all the gas grills are overpriced.

I remember the one on S Presa! Wonder if there are still places selling those.

I will go by HEB tomorrow. No real budget just dont want to break the bank.

Going to go look at the link of the double grill.

Thank you everyone. Anyone hungry yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio