Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times

Advertisements

Human trafficking is huge here! One block of houses yes one whole block was used to house drugs and traffic humans! How do I know? I owned a house right in the middle and would see them biting them in and out in the middle of the night! It's gotten crazy with SAPD and un marked units running surveillance. Imagine being evacuated from your house in the middle of the night cause the lawman is about to drop the hammer. Not everything makes the news folks...and the mayor is too stupid to be in bed with them he's n just lazy and wants to tax everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Lol the cartel is here and has been here! San Antonio has been the hub for the drug cartel for years! The super highway runs from here all the way up to Chicago! And no they are not in the hood there everywhere. Don't snoop don't snitch you will be fine.
You mean they might even be in Stone Oak!?!?!?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
The SAPD has a special task force deals specifically with this, the Special Victims Unit; but the issue is not as rampant as some make it out to be.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does; but to claim San Antonio is being overrun by drug cartels, gangs and human trafficking is pure conjure.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM

340 posts, read 586,329 times
Quote:
Lol the cartel is here and has been here! San Antonio has been the hub for the drug cartel for years! The super highway runs from here all the way up to Chicago! And no they are not in the hood there everywhere. Don't snoop don't snitch you will be fine.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Trust me. Cartel members are not in San Antonio. People working for the cartel, yes. But those people are in every major city in Texas as well as a lot of other major cities outside of Texas. I'm not going to get into the specifics but I know first hand a lot about what is going in to the point I am very familiar with HSI in San Antonio.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The SAPD has a special task force deals specifically with this, the Special Victims Unit; but the issue is not as rampant as some make it out to be.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does; but to claim San Antonio is being overrun by drug cartels, gangs and human trafficking is pure conjure.
Actually, HSI is in charge of that, not SAPD. I've seen raids were SAPD provide assistance and SAPD provide a couple of officers and a helicopter but get stay back and only come in if HSI or Border Patrol find something legal on a local level. Otherwise they say pretty quiet and mum during any raid.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Such investigations are usually multi-agency because of the broad jurisdiction, but the SAPD does have a Sex Crimes Unit that deals with these issues...

Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Human trafficking is huge here! One block of houses yes one whole block was used to house drugs and traffic humans! How do I know? I owned a house right in the middle and would see them biting them in and out in the middle of the night! It's gotten crazy with SAPD and un marked units running surveillance. Imagine being evacuated from your house in the middle of the night cause the lawman is about to drop the hammer. Not everything makes the news folks...and the mayor is too stupid to be in bed with them he's n just lazy and wants to tax everyone.
Human trafficking isn't "huge" here. Does it exist, yes but please stop with the hyporbore. Any raid by HSI with assistance by border patrol agents and SAPD officers will get media coverage. This past September, a major raid event occurred in two major texas cities including SA. It was the largest bust ever for human trafficking. 30 people were arrested but those 30 were only trafficking a little a hundred people a year. SA is used as a stop gap before they were then sent to other cities.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Such investigations are usually multi-agency because of the broad jurisdiction, but the SAPD does have a Sex Crimes Unit that deals with these issues...
Sure, but the jurisdiction belongs to HSI. The power local police have is very similar to how it's shown in the movie End of Watch. Very.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
SAPD is ill-equipped if their sex crimes unit (which is too general and most likely overburdened) is the department which oversees human trafficking investigations but then turns around and arrests the victims of human trafficking.

BCSO and ICE have the same issue.

The debate for some of you might be between who is in charge of human trafficking investigations but that is a trivial matter when every agency involved thus far is unable to compartmentalize human trafficking and prostitution therefore treating the victims as prostitutes.

A multi-agency sting netted 45 arrests this January and 5 of them were arrested for prostitution. Although cryptically the following article ends with a claim that part of this investigation was about "identifying victims". Am I to understand that the method we used to identify victims was through processing at a local detention facility?

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- The Bexar County Sheriff's Office, Department of Homeland Security Investigations (ICE), and the San Antonio Police Department held a news conference regarding the results of a recent human trafficking/prostitution sting which took place in San Antonio.

"Operation Blue Ice took place on three fronts: street prostitution, online soliciation and focusing both on johns and those who provide those services," said Sheriff Pamerleau.
45 arrested in human trafficking/prostitution sting | WOAI: San Antonio News

I am to the opinion that no one is really in charge now but as time goes on we will better be able to deal with human trafficking without victimizing the victims further. If anyone was currently in charge there would be no need for the many citizen and activist organizations that have sprung up to tackle this issue. If law enforcement at the federal, state, and local level had this issue under control there would be no need for that.

To begin we need to remove the slash between "human trafficking/prostitution" when it comes to investigations unless law enforcement is going to team up with social services and if they do social services should not lag behind law enforcement but be there for any raids to rapidly sweep in and take care of the victims instead of arresting them.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Trust me. Cartel members are not in San Antonio. People working for the cartel, yes. But those people are in every major city in Texas as well as a lot of other major cities outside of Texas. I'm not going to get into the specifics but I know first hand a lot about what is going in to the point I am very familiar with HSI in San Antonio.
I am actually responding to you as indicated by use of quotes which might also be the answer to a question you asked, or not.

It is more likely that cartels are in San Antonio, as well as affiliated worker bees in it for the profit, and that the cartels operate differently here than in Mexico explained by the different ventures they operate in each theater.

A sector devoted to transit with a high degree of competition will require a different approach than operations which require money laundering with a high degree of demand.

In other words the chicken heads are always cut off in the back of the house and not at the front in the store.

I am also of a different opinion (not necessarily right or wrong just different, OK) than yours regarding the "hugeness" of human trafficing locally. We are a stage in the trade and possibly a destination which is enough to be a huge problem for me.

You are allowed to maintain a view that minimizes the impact unchallenged because there is no value in debating who is right or wrong over how big a problem it is here. Not like we as a group are deciding how much funds we should devote to the issue but as a person I feel it should be more than current levels.

Your view might disagree and I would be interested in the exact reasons that led to that perspective but I have no interest in who is right or wrong about this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio