Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times

Advertisements

Not only do I live inside 1604, I live inside 410, and inside the *inner* loop (I-10/I-37/281-I-35). i.e. downtown And my kid will be going to a stellar public school very soon in SAISD. yes. Stellar.

But given your work location, anywhere in that area is probably fine. There are no heavy crime pockets in the area you described, but like anywhere, be conscientious of your surroundings. Spend some time renting to get a feel for the area to see if you really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM

417 posts, read 816,263 times
Thanks for all of the advice. I will be staying in an apartment complex on Blanco Road, so I should get a better feel for what life (and the commute) is like inside the loop.

This is the biggest city I've moved to in the last several years, so it's harder to determine what the ideal neighborhood is for me. In the past few places I've lived, there have been 2 or 3 "good" areas and it was obvious that those areas were the places to be. I've seen lots of nice areas in SA, both inside and outside the loop - I feel spoiled for choice But it is confusing.

I'm typically attracted to areas that are newer, but I saw some things that were older inside the loop and I liked them. I am willing to do a bit of a commute (up to 30-35 minutes) to work, as long as there are some nice amenities, like a gym/grocery store/pizza/takeout, near where I live. Stone Oak, while nice, felt like it was just a bit too far away from work. I liked some of the places I saw in Two Creek (?), and while La Cantera/the Rim aren't far away, Two Creek didn't look fully developed yet. Crown Ridge seemed like a good location and I saw an older, quirky house I liked. Strangely, Alamo Heights didn't appeal to me the way I thought it would. I liked some of the shopping centers there, but I didn't see much in my price range that didn't require a lot of work to fix up. I will have to check out Shavano Park when I arrive.

Sorry for the rambling note; didn't mean to keep going on. Really appreciate the help and am looking forward to living in San Antonio.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times

BTW go ahead and live inside hwy 1604, you'll be just fine.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,581 times
Can somebody please just simplify a response by telling me which neighborhoods are safe and kid friendly in San Antonio? I have family that live in Westcreek, Silver Oaks, and Alamo Ranch, but am open to other neighborhoods. My daughter is in 7th grade and is coming from an exemplary school. If needed, I will sacrifice and send her to a "Catholic" school. I am considering "Our Lady of Atonement." My budget is $130000. Want to be there this summer. Can someone please help?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM

40 posts, read 108,641 times
The Sonoma Ranch area off Kyle Seale and Hausman area has a few neighborhoods within your budget and the schools are all wonderful. We just moved this summer, but my kids attended Bob Beard elementary which was wonderful. My friends have kids that go to the middle school which is just down the street and I hear it's a great middle school too as is Brandeis the high school. Atonement is right behind the middle school too, although I wouldn't personally recommend it. My daughter went there for 3 years and hated it.

This neighborhood is very kid friendly and family oriented. You have home prices from the mid 100ks to upper 500k range so a good mix of kids.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,526 times
I can't speak to the school districts inside 1604, other than Alamo Heights. When we were relocating a couple of years ago, people in the area made two recommendations for school districts to us. Alamo Heights and Boerne. We opted for Boerne for a host of reasons, mainly the desire to be out of the city and have a small town atmosphere.

Having said that, I have coworkers with children in Northside ISD and they are very pleased with the district. The plus for us in Boerne was the small class sizes. We didn't even have that luxury in sleepy central Texas north of Austin.

There are many good established neighborhoods inside 1604 that are very safe. You are only limited by your personal preferences for location/access/lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,581 times
Thanks. My daughter's school size is 450, which includes PreK4- 9th grade. This is also 100 more students then they had last year. She is nervous by the enrollment size of students in the SA districts. This is why I was choosing to send her to Atonement (small class size). My sister is also a high school principal in the SA district and has let us know that the school population in twice the size of those in Corpus Christi.

What problems do you incur with Atonement? I don't want her falling through the "cracks." As a former high school teacher, I know how easily this can happen.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
As a former Catholic school teacher, Atonement is one of the best schools in SA. They are pretty strict, and the children attend mass everyday. However, every teacher has a Master's Degree and beyond. Exceptional education.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM

40 posts, read 108,641 times
It is no where near the best school in SA. Go to greatschools.org all the negative reviews are exactly how it is and then some.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
That's very close to my old stomping grounds. It's a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio