Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
The funnel cakes are very good and I wish there was a way to get them without visiting the park. Definitely one of those foods you have to eat on the spot, though.

BTW, for the OP, you do know there's a 6 Flags here as well, right? I'd personally take that one over SeaWorld, the Alamo, and the River Walk combined, but I love roller coasters..
rd2007:

Not trying to derail the thread but funny thing is that during my lunch, I decided to go to Jack-in-the-box and they had funnel cakes of all places.

I had me one today. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM

89 posts, read 203,280 times
I am a former resident of San Antonio (Air Force), but I coming down for Spring Break as well. I know that Sea World and Six Flags are going to be packed, so we will not be visiting those places.

We will hit up the Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Tea Gardens, Malibu Grand Prix, Natural Bridge, and do one day downtown (Ripley's, etc.).

I haven't lived in SA for a few years, so I would like to know from current residents if there another cool thing to check while I am down, aka Artisan's Alley?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicePlusMom View Post

Planning on Riverwalk, Alamo and maybe Sea World. What else should we plan on?

Restaurants we may like to visit: Mi Tierra for mexican, County line for ribs, Schilo's deli, Lula's, The Copper Kitchen Cafe, Gunther House. Others we should not miss?

Thanks!
I think your restaurant choices are fine. Mi Tierra is not great Tex/Mex food IMO but the atmosphere is great. We always have a good time there with the drinks, music, the mariachis -- it can be fun. Schilo's is nice for brunch/lunch (love the veggie soup) and the Guenther House is really good too. If youre planning on being in that area where the Guenther House is located I would also recommend Rosarios Mexican restaurant. Il Sogno at the Pearl Brewery for Italian is also really good. PEARL BREWERY::Master Directory

Heres a link for the Pearl Brewery
PEARL BREWERY::Master Directory

I think you should just go for the Sea World thing if you can get a decent deal. Here is a link I found on the Vist SA website. Hope it helps and that you enjoy your time here!

S.A.V.E. Theme Park Details :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com

Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTant View Post
I am a former resident of San Antonio (Air Force), but I coming down for Spring Break as well. I know that Sea World and Six Flags are going to be packed, so we will not be visiting those places.

We will hit up the Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Tea Gardens, Malibu Grand Prix, Natural Bridge, and do one day downtown (Ripley's, etc.).

I haven't lived in SA for a few years, so I would like to know from current residents if there another cool thing to check while I am down, aka Artisan's Alley?
The zoo will be packed too. Last year it was at least.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,126 times
my mother made the mistake of visiting during spring break... CROOOOWDEEED. but sa is SO NICE in the spring that i can understand why. never seen a line for the alamo that long! expect a lot of folks in all the major attractions. but, if you don't mind the crowds and lines, it should be ok (better than the crowds and lines IN SUMMER. oi, no thanks.)

i hear schilo's is good, but can't say for myself. i would try rudy's if you're going to seaworld, it's quite close.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Just remember that Rudy's is crazy busy too. I remember getting the brilliant idea to go there last summer and yeah, it took forever to get any food and that was back when I hated the heat..

Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM

31 posts, read 96,745 times
Thanks for all the great feedback! Looks I still have some decisions to make and lots and lots of options. It does look like the weather will cooperate! We are looking forward to our trip. Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
The zoo is really packed during Spring Break too...I went last year and it was really, really crowded.

Sea World doesn't let you bring lunches in. You can bring water, and opened sodas or gatorade. I was there this weekend and they were looking inside bags. I saw some families sitting on the back of their SUVs eating lunch in the parking lot.

Between Sea World and Fiesta TX, during hot weather Sea World is better because there are trees there and it's not at the bottom of a quarry, so it gets some breezes. I don't think it will be hot enough to matter much next week though.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM

31 posts, read 96,745 times
We depart tomorrow for SA. I logged on today looking for discounts once more before purchase and found one that worked for Sea World at Retail Me Not. I got a second day free, so if Spring Break ends up too crowded, then at least we have a return visit!

Our favorite Mex here in Dallas area is Chuy's.

The Vacation Rental by Owner we are staying at in SA is about 5 miles from Downtown on the bus route and 30 mins to Sea World. $150 per night 2 bedroom, 2 bath. I'll let you know when we return what a good deal this is!

Local restaurant's in that area recommended are:

Purple Garlic
410 diner or Good Time Charlies for comfort food
Chris Madrids or Big Bobs for burgers
Taco Garage
Bistro French bakery

Some others that are upscale, but I like the idea of local and family friendly and not breaking the bank. We will probably go to Mi Tierra when in the River Walk area. And my son is set on ribs - suggestions other than County Line?

Thanks!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I went to Chris Madrid's once and wasn't very impressed. Best burger here for me is Fuddruckers because they'll cook it exactly how you want it, even for us vampires... Chunky's is another good place and there's one located right behind Rudy's across 151 from SeaWorld. The burger with the cream cheese and jalapenos is great, even though that combination may not seem very good. Can't remember it's name, but I want to say it's the zip or something like that.

as far as ribs, I haven't found anything that jumps out at me. The ribs at Rudy's are definitely not good at all, though. They're some of the worst I've had in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio