Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 AM

33 posts, read 147,897 times

Advertisements

Need a Apartment near Lackland AFB and was wondering which area around San Antonio is safe vs. Not safe. Also what schools are good (Elementary & Middle school) that is close by.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
You want to get away from the base, I recommend something in the highlighted area of this map...

You'll be within a half hour of base, NISD is a good school district and those are relatively safe areas.

Welcome to SA!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Obvious question...
what does everybody think about the area between what you highlighted and 410?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Obvious question...
what does everybody think about the area between what you highlighted and 410?
It's obviously subjective and everyone has their own tolerance level as to crime, housing, and amenities. I would move it in to just the border of 410, but that's just me.

It's always great to get current residents' opinions but you really can't make a decision on the "right" place to live until you see it yourself. You know?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
Daaannng MMM got that map on lock! Ready to use it at a moments notice.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I live outside the purple part of the map, right at 1604 and 90, and it's a nice quiet area. Schools are okay too. There are some nice-looking new apartments at Military and 1604 Verde Apartments :: Verde Westover Hills and some less-expensive complexes on Marbach. There are also lots of apartments at Bandera and 1604, which some people consider a better area but which does have more traffic at rush hour.

I've lived in parts of San Antonio that were considered safe, and some that weren't, and didn't notice much difference in my personal safety. Buy a handgun for home defense, and get renter's insurance to protect your belongings...but I would say that to anyone moving into an apartment in a big city.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM

OK, that map's not mean to be all-inclusive; there are many nice places outside of the shaded area that one can consider but in my practical experience that seems to be where the majority of people that I've worked with during my nine years on Lackland tend to live.

That said, there are also areas outside of the shaded areas where I would not live.

As always, it's best if an individual does their own looking around and seeing where they like best. The places not to live should be obvious, but there are way too many factors such as price range, size, schools, safety, etc that are subjective to each and every individual.

The above map simply reflects the areas I would consider based on my experience and if it were my decision.

But as always, YMMV, etc.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM

33 posts, read 147,897 times
Thanks everyone. Great information. One more question. How is traffic if you live 30min away from Lackland AFB? Tavel times around 6-7:00am.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Not bad, it all depends on which direction you are coming from but for the most part it will be a bit heavy but moving...

The rule of thumb is the earlier the you drive in, the better. Right now I leave the house at 5:30am and am in the office by 6:00 easily, including parking and walking through the building. There's traffic but it is moving at a normal pace, and I live 17 miles from base.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Funny enough, just today an acquaintance who moved here to work at Lackland was lamenting "Everyone told us to buy in this area (the area shaded in the map), WHY?! How come no realtors the military had steered us towards downtown or other historic neighborhoods?!" Being totally new to the area, they just didn't know and everyone insisted they were best off in the 151/1604/Sea World area, which they now really regret, but their new construction house has lost value in 3 yrs because newer houses are being built just up the road.

So. I'm just here to tell you that there are indeed other areas of the city with very short commutes to Lackland (it would take me 15 minutes to the gate from Southtown). Downtown/Southtown/historic neighborhoods are not for everyone, but should that lifestyle appeal to you, they exist in San Antonio and are worth looking into. (The medical professionals at BAMC have finally caught wind of it, as it appears we're getting a lot of Army docs in the area now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio