Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

I think it's a bad thing when it's pretty much all we're getting. How much effort is the city putting into attracting better paying jobs? If all we can attract are call centers, what does that say about the city? I read an article a few months ago saying that we are in danger of losing bio-tech companies because we don't have enough skilled laborers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If I have to, I will take my degree somewhere else which I see as a loss for San Antonio. I'm not going to college to work at a call center and it's certainly not going to pay off my student loans. San Antonio being a low-wage, poverty stricken, and uneducated city is a bad thing. Just look at that thread about the people on the south side. Why should we be so grateful we're getting another call center? Because we're in a recession? We have been pulling in call centers before the recession and we will continue to do so after the recession. This is what we do and it hasn't changed even while being in a recession. Not having a diverse job market is certainly a bad thing. I hope call centers will be forever needed in the U.S. or we'll end up like the factory towns that lost all of their jobs to other countries. We better pray that the Indians don't start to learn Spanish.
Well geez, I would hope that your college degree will qualify you for something other than a call center job.....

Moderator cut: off topic/personal unfortunately for you SA is not that type of city...

Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I doubt that many of the salaried AT&T corporate workers who chose to stay behind in San Antonio when AT&T bolted for Dallas 3 years ago will be eager to work in a call center. They probably wouldn't consider an hourly position answering phones to be a desirable gig.

What we need to keep those people around are more corporate HQ move-ins, like Whataburger. Those bring jobs for professionals, with salaries.

But Whataburger moved here ~2 years ago and AFAIK, we haven't had another move-in since. But we've averaged 10-12 call center announcements a year during that time.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
If I have to, I will take my degree somewhere else which I see as a loss for San Antonio. I'm not going to college to work at a call center and it's certainly not going to pay off my student loans.
What is your degree in L210? Mine is in business and I work in non profit and I'm working on attaining accounting classes to prep for my CPA (Certified Professional Accountant). I may have to leave SA at some point in time unless I get a job at Petco corporate that is planning to come in sometime in the summer. There's a thread on Petco here in the forum but I haven't heard any updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
What we need to keep those people around are more corporate HQ move-ins, like Whataburger. Those bring jobs for professionals, with salaries.
Yes! As I mentioned to L210 above, I'd like Petco to come in. Supposed to be in the summer...hope it still happens!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Well geez, I would hope that your college degree will qualify you for something other than a call center job.....

Moderator cut: off topic/personal unfortunately for you SA is not that type of city...
I can't see what you said. If you would like, you can send me a DM.

My degree would qualify me for something other than a call center job if the job is even here. The job will probably be in another city.

This is what was said when AT&T moved its headquarters.

Quote:
AT&T said it is making the move to get better access to customers and operations worldwide, along with technology partners, suppliers and talent.[LEFT]
Read more: AT&T moving its headquarters to Dallas | Dallas Business Journal
[/LEFT]
Should we be proud and happy that decent paying AT&T jobs have been replaced with CSR jobs?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Sorry C-D is so politically correct..........

AT&T is moving because the tax breaks SA gave them have stopped and Dallas will give them tax breaks.

Has nothing to do with the education levels of SA.

Obviously SA is not your cup of tea, hope you find a job and a city that comes up to your expectations.

There is more to life than the all mighty buck....

Old 03-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
What is your degree in L210? Mine is in business and I work in non profit and I'm working on attaining accounting classes to prep for my CPA (Certified Professional Accountant). I may have to leave SA at some point in time unless I get a job at Petco corporate that is planning to come in sometime in the summer. There's a thread on Petco here in the forum but I haven't heard any updates.

Yes! As I mentioned to L210 above, I'd like Petco to come in. Supposed to be in the summer...hope it still happens!
It is great that Petco will be bringing 400 jobs here and most of them will pay middle class wages. Too bad it's dwarfed by the thousands of call center jobs we've brought in.

I think you should be fine as a CPA. It's one of the fastest growing jobs in the country and hopefully that's true for San Antonio. I'm about to finish up a bachelors in psychology and criminal justice and I will be starting an MBA program next year.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
AT&T is moving because the tax breaks SA gave them have stopped and Dallas will give them tax breaks.

This has been well covered in another thread. The main reason AT&T moved is because Ed Whitacre, a native San Antonian, retired as CEO and was replaced by Randall Stephenson, a native of Dallas. Whitacre had moved the company HQ here to his hometown and his successor moved it to his hometown.

The public reason stated at the time was that Dallas has better airline service.

Nowhere were tax breaks mentioned.

Back to discussing J Crew and call center jobs.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry C-D is so politically correct..........

I doubt taxes were the only reason. It wouldn't make financial sense to move every time tax breaks expire. I'm sure the move was expensive.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
It is great that Petco will be bringing 400 jobs here and most of them will pay middle class wages. Too bad it's dwarfed by the thousands of call center jobs we've brought in.
Yeah, stinks, huh?

Quote:
I think you should be fine as a CPA. It's one of the fastest growing jobs in the country and hopefully that's true for San Antonio. I'm about to finish up a bachelors in psychology and criminal justice and I will be starting an MBA program next year.
One of the reasons I'm doing a career switch is because funding for non profits so not so great right now because of all the cuts in state government so I need to do something else.
Good luck with your MBA, I thought about doing it but research papers are not my strong suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio