Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I agree the bars and clubs are partly to blame in this. Of course, the bartenders are not going be able to remember how many drinks they give to so and so. But they could take the keys away at front door when someone comes in or make them take a breathalyzer test before they leave. The bars and clubs could be doing more to make sure this doesn't happen when someone leaves their place. The other problem is what do you do with the people who get wasted at home then go out driving. Lots of young people like to get buzzed before they go out to party.

There are many people who drink responsibly but also a lot of people do not drink responsibly. Why do you think we have so many accidents happening with drunks? Sure we have laws and judges that are suppose to enforce the laws but they don't always do that. Something needs to change because the laws we have now are not working. People who get multiple DUI's need more than just prison time and community service hours. If they don't get help they will keep on drinking. Addictions are hard to break especially if it is drug and alcohol related.
The state would have to pass a law allowing bars to give breath tests and take away keys. I really don't think law enforcement responsibilities should be put on the backs of civilians. If you're going to train people to do all of that, you might as well make them sworn officers. Some states and territories have private police officers or security officers with more than just citizen arrest power. Is that what you're shooting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Man gets 99 years in prison for 16th DWI - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com

Not exactly local, but close to home still.

The posted story is a very good example of how broken our court system is in dealing with those that drink and drive.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times
Too many bad drivers in this city.

R.I.P. Officer

Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM

28 posts, read 80,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Too many bad drivers in this city.

R.I.P. Officer

That is a good portion of the problem. 90% of the people here cant drive to begin with. Add in massive amounts of booze/drugs and makes a bad situation worse. Im betting the driver would have blown .2+ if alive.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Well, that's the good part about this story.. at least there was one positive outcome of the whole incident. Society is always a much better place when the ranks of irresponsible drunks go down, even by just one. Only problem is there's still hundreds of thousands to go and that's just here in SA..

Old 03-26-2011, 07:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
By the way...

Stephanie Brown Memorial Fund
Generations Federal Credit Union
ACC# 1501825

Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
While I sympathize for his family, this report stating that Christopher Baldaramos (below) should not have been driving in the first place makes my blood boil!

Quote:

Wrong-Way Driver That Killed Police Officer Shouldn't Have Been Driving | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Sources say Christopher Baldaramos was not supposed to be behind the wheel of the SUV he was driving early Tuesday. Baldaramos was still on probation from a driving while intoxicated conviction back in September of last year. He accepted a plea deal, and the judge placed him on probation for one year.
As far as I am concerned, he should still be in jail for his DWI conviction from September. That way, we'd still have a fine young police officer among us, and he wouldn't have orphaned a little girl!

And I hope that judge is reconsidering his leniency towards any drunk drivers in the future!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Look at the photo and remember - that's the face of an *******!

And it doesn't matter who he killed....

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Sometimes I wonder if the lack of jail time is to prevent overcrowding of Bexar county jail system?

Think how crazy the population could be due to the number of drink and drivers here.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
The government just needs to re-prioritize. Drunk driving should be a state jail felony and those who aren't as much of a danger to public safety should be given probation in the place of drunk drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio