Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,817 times

Advertisements

We've gotten several quotes for a driveway at our new home (approx. 600 linear feet, 7,000 sq. ft) and the cost is either $15,000 for asphalt, or $25,000 for concrete.

From what I've read, concrete's advantages are that it lasts longer, requires less maintenance, and looks nicer. I've also read that asphalt has problems in heat, and obviously it gets pretty hot around here.

But, is it really worth an extra $10G to get concrete over asphalt? Does anyone have any experience with asphalt driveways around San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Cement is better,

When it is blazing hot outside, asphalt becomes very soft and can be easily creased by sharp edges dragged across the surface, motorcycle kickstands,and a very heavy load could create a depression which can lead to a pothole or crack. A very good surface preparation, topsoil stripped off completely, with at least 5 inches of well compacted thoroughly dampened and then dried -crushed limestone , prior to paving will lengthen the life of either surface.
Concrete will last much, much longer and the edge will not weather
or chip away as asphalt will.
How long do you plan to stay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
We've gotten several quotes for a driveway at our new home (approx. 600 linear feet, 7,000 sq. ft) and the cost is either $15,000 for asphalt, or $25,000 for concrete.

From what I've read, concrete's advantages are that it lasts longer, requires less maintenance, and looks nicer. I've also read that asphalt has problems in heat, and obviously it gets pretty hot around here.

But, is it really worth an extra $10G to get concrete over asphalt? Does anyone have any experience with asphalt driveways around San Antonio?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Concrete has more of a modern/contemporary look. But I don't like the fact that it blinds the c... out of you.
I'm old fashioned and like asphalt better. Don't have problems with glare.

Huckster is right, make sure that the ground is "extra" prepared before they do the work.
I would make them flatten the road several extra feet both ways.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Concrete will outlast asphalt and be MUCH less of a maintenance headache if properly done. Glare issues can be resolved by staining or having a pattern stamped into it...given the choice of the two, I'd go w/concrete.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 AM

330 posts, read 1,372,817 times
Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
How long do you plan to stay?
It's hard to say. I expect to be there a long time, but I thought the same about my current home, which we're leaving after just 3.5 years.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
I have an asphalt driveway, 400' long. I basically seal it every 3-4 years (got a guy who comes by and does it for $200), and have patched a few cracks, no big deal. Once resealed, you never even know you had a crack.

I don't experience "depression" issues or softness in the summer. I also don't experience edge breakdown. Mine is 15 years old, and in good shape. I had the same dilemma as you when we built the house as far as the cost. I don't regret going with asphalt.

The others are correct, you have to have a good base, 5"-6". I'm guessing a good base would be needed for concrete as well, steel reinforced or not.

All that said, if your house is in a high price range, what's another 10K? If on the low end price range, that 10K could go a long way elsewhere. What kind of driveways do the neighbors have?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:26 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Concrete is forever..asphalt is not!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Concrete is always preferred when you're thinking about resale. ESPECIALLY if the rest of your neighborhood has it. If the rest doesn't, well you'll stand out, which is good too. You're not going to get your value back out of it, but you may sell it quicker.

You should really just decide which you prefer though, and if you'd rather tie that $10k up in concrete, or put it to work elsewhere.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Concrete,

Will not last forever. But as with a fine paint job on an automobile, surface preparation is the secret to perfection.
The subgrade , that is the soil underneath, must be completely
free of organic matter,ie topsoil. The organic matter will decompose
shrink and then settle and make a depression and the surface will crack
or pothole later on. This is the most crucial part of the process as is the complete compaction of the subgradeand of the crushed limestone used for base material-the gravel- It needs to be dampened thoroughly with plenty of water (around 8 or ten%) and will, the limestone is water soluble as is seen in all the limebuildup of water heaters etc around here. What this does is remove any air voids and thus further depressions in the surface within the gravel or clay subgrade-years after paving- . After it has been dampened with a garden hose or, truck if no water is available, let it dry for an hour and make sure a compaction roller is driven back and forth over the surface at least six or seven times and then if possible left to dry completely over night.
Then pave, commercially great lenghts are taken to ensure that the greatest compaction is achieved for the subsurface for long term durabiltiy
of the surfaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: