Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times

Advertisements

I would LOVE to live downtown; however, my husband wasn't keen on the idea. So we compromised (because, frankly, there was no way I was going to live outside 410 and there was no way in heck I was going to live in a newer house). And I do love my just-inside-the-loop neighborhood - super convenient to everything we need, and a great house for a great price. We paid $139,000 for over 1800 square feet and we didn't do a single thing when we moved in, short of painting the front door red.

I definitely recommend this neighborhood if schools aren't an issue (although honest to God, how are the schools going to ever improve if people don't move into the neighborhood and get involved with the schools? It's a conundrum).

Oh, 78201 area code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Hey that's a pretty good price for that size.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey that's a pretty good price for that size.
We thought so, especially since it was turnkey. We also have a good-sized backyard with two giant oak trees, two pecan trees, and a burr oak in the front yard, along with all sorts of ornamental shrubs and what have you.

Like I said - we love this house and we love our neighborhood.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
We thought so, especially since it was turnkey. We also have a good-sized backyard with two giant oak trees, two pecan trees, and a burr oak in the front yard, along with all sorts of ornamental shrubs and what have you.

Like I said - we love this house and we love our neighborhood.
There are some great houses in that area. Also a really nice area is just on the other side of I-10, inside the loop.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 PM

144 posts, read 358,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
Downtown Living: I have never lived downtown here but I don't think I would want to. To many tourists for me and the restaurants and bars downtown cater to tourists/convention folks. I am the person to get away from the tourist area in places.
I don't think anyone really lives "downtown." That's where the Riverwalk/Alamo area is, and yes, it's touristy and probably avoided if you're a local... Even Lavaca/King William are south of downtown a bit.

The point is that neighborhoods close to downtown, like mine, are not everyone's thing, but they are also not living amongst tourists.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
But didn't the OP say she wanted city life? The mom is quite young - 40s.
It's not exactly suburbia and it's in walking distance to all the stores on Austin Hwy. Alamo Heights is just down the street and there are a lot of bars and clubs on Broadway. Living in that area puts you close to Incarnate Word, Trinity University, and San Antonio College. If one can't afford to live in Alamo Heights, one can at least live right next to it. 78209 is a very short drive to Ft. Sam.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markintosh View Post
I don't think anyone really lives "downtown." That's where the Riverwalk/Alamo area is, and yes, it's touristy and probably avoided if you're a local... Even Lavaca/King William are south of downtown a bit.
I have friends who live on or adjacent to the Riverwalk. Indeed Southtown is more residential than downtown but there are people actually living in downtown proper.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM

437 posts, read 898,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
One note, though, not all homes in the downtown area are old. There are some new buildings, so if new is your thing, it's worth asking about. Most of the new single family homes, however, are custom designed individual houses. Other new places are townhouses/condos.
Very true. But I was trying to stay somewhat on topic; it doesn't sound like the OP wanted a new house. And those new houses cost a tad over $250,000. They're beautiful, though. I really like those custom designs. I also really like what some folks did when they added to those neat old stone houses built in the 1870's. If I remember correctly it's on Lavaca.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
Very true. But I was trying to stay somewhat on topic; it doesn't sound like the OP wanted a new house. And those new houses cost a tad over $250,000. They're beautiful, though. I really like those custom designs. I also really like what some folks did when they added to those neat old stone houses built in the 1870's. If I remember correctly it's on Lavaca.
Yes, there are a number of limestone houses, originally 2-3 rooms, with incredible additions on Lavaca St. And yes, considerably more than $250K Just wanted to make sure folks knew there weren't only old fixer uppers.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM

159 posts, read 781,549 times
Welcome and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio