Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times

Advertisements

Two years ago i bought a Novaform Memory Foam Mattress from Costco. I got a Queen Size for $700 on sale. It is WONDERFUL. I weigh 250 pounds, and my girlfriend weighs 125. We both sleep well on it. It has a 20 year warranty. I tried the Tempur-Pedic, and found no reason to pay the big bucks for one when the Novaform was just as comfortable. Even if it wore out in five years (which I doubt because it looks and sleeps as good as new), I would by another in a heartbeat. I will NEVER go back to a spring mattress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingWolves View Post
If you keep your eyes on Craigslist you can usually find someone getting rid of one for about 1-2 thousand off. If its been kept in the protector you can always replace it and save yourself a bundle. I am not sure if the warranty transfers though. I kept hearing when we were shopping that Tempurpedic sets the prices and the stores really dont have the option to put them on sale unless its a closeout item. When were were price comparing we never found a difference of more than about 10 bucks from one place to another. However when it comes to delivery and bringing it into the house the prices were all over and some could be talked into free delivery. Also if you buy new they should be able to toss in or at least heavily discount the Tempurpedic pillows. My family got 2 pillows with their matress and free delivery next day.
Thanks for your thoughts! We checked them out at Mattress Firm and I have to say, I do like them! I am also really thrilled with the idea of a 20 year warranty!!! That just about sells it for me....
You are right in that they never go on sale... and I kind of like that. I don't have to "shop around." So I thought the best price was from Brookstone- same at Mattress Firm but free delivery and a $200 gift card, which would buy the mattress protector. I was going to take that to Mattress Firm and see what they could do.
BUT now I have found that buying it directly from Tempurpedic might be my best bet- free "white glove" shipping and NO sales tax, which is almost $300....
I am so torn.... it's still a lot of money- $3600.... but it if really will last 20 years, then I might be sold.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 AM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts! We checked them out at Mattress Firm and I have to say, I do like them! I am also really thrilled with the idea of a 20 year warranty!!! That just about sells it for me....
You are right in that they never go on sale... and I kind of like that. I don't have to "shop around." So I thought the best price was from Brookstone- same at Mattress Firm but free delivery and a $200 gift card, which would buy the mattress protector. I was going to take that to Mattress Firm and see what they could do.
BUT now I have found that buying it directly from Tempurpedic might be my best bet- free "white glove" shipping and NO sales tax, which is almost $300....
I am so torn.... it's still a lot of money- $3600.... but it if really will last 20 years, then I might be sold.

You don't remit the sales tax for out of state purchases as state law says you should?

Occasional Use Tax

I'm shocked!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 AM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
We also have the foam mattress from Costco and love it! It does get warm, which let me tell you was tons of fun when I was pregnant, but it's so comfortable and my husband and I both sleep great on it.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
We also have the foam mattress from Costco and love it! It does get warm, which let me tell you was tons of fun when I was pregnant, but it's so comfortable and my husband and I both sleep great on it.
uh oh- I'm 5 months pg right now. Should I be worried?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
You don't remit the sales tax for out of state purchases as state law says you should?

Occasional Use Tax

I'm shocked!
haha- well, my "awesome" plan was a bust. Turns out I *would* have to pay sales tax... so currently, IMO, the best deal is to purchase from Brookstone bc they are offering a $200 gift certificate, + free shipping!!!

SO- I'm going to take Brookstone's "offer" to Mattress Firm and see what they can do.

Mattresses are the same price. That is not going to change. What can change is the extras and the delivery fees. If Mattress Firm will throw in the mattress cover, free delivery, and maybe a pillow, then I will purchase from them. If not, I'll take my $$$$ to Brookstone.

wdyt- good plan?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Just keep in mind... All memory foam isn't created equal. There is HUGE difference in the B-brand and what Tempurpedic sells.

I know this, as I've owned both. My Temur is now the guest bed (as it slept too hot for me). Honestly, if you can afford it, there's no better memory foam out there that what they're using.

BN
who is not being handsomely paid by Tempur to say these things

Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Just keep in mind... All memory foam isn't created equal. There is HUGE difference in the B-brand and what Tempurpedic sells.

I know this, as I've owned both. My Temur is now the guest bed (as it slept too hot for me). Honestly, if you can afford it, there's no better memory foam out there that what they're using.

BN
who is not being handsomely paid by Tempur to say these things
Brookstone sells Tempur-pedic... that's the only brand I am interested in. (not doing a knock off for something I expect to last 20 years.)
fwiw- we're looking (err... I guess purchasing) the Temper-pedic Cloud Supreme.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Brookstone sells Tempur-pedic... that's the only brand I am interested in. (not doing a knock off for something I expect to last 20 years.)
fwiw- we're looking (err... I guess purchasing) the Temper-pedic Cloud Supreme.
Nice. The Cloud Supreme is a very comfortable model. I had the Celebrity with added pillowtop. In hindsight, I would have gone with the cheapest model they had, as the extra fluff from the top made it uncomfortably warm for me almost year-round.

Is Brookstone still throwing in two free Tempur pillows with the purchase of a new mattress?

BN

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Is Brookstone still throwing in two free Tempur pillows with the purchase of a new mattress?

BN
No- they're throwing in a $200 gift card; so same thing, I guess. I'm hoping Mattress Firm can beat their "offer" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio