Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:44 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,020 times

Advertisements

How big of a concern are these? Also, any flooding or other types of weather cocnerns? We're transplanting from Sacramento, CA so flooding and the occassional earthquake are our only concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 01:35 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Tornadoes in San Antonio - Deja Vu?

Hmmmm....this subject sounds very familiar. Check the thread of same name posted on 8/8/06.

But, to start you out...

Tornadoes: No. There has been some strong wind bursts that have torn off hanger roofs on the old Kelly AFB....same thing to the West in Hondo).

Flooding: Yes, but not real big floods where thousands of homes are lost. Generally, flooding occurs along rivers and dry creek beds during very heavy flooding. SA lost about 20 homes a few years back that were in low areas. Some of those flood areas (Olmos Dam for one) were fixed up. When driving around SA, if you see what looks like a 5-foot measuring stick on the side of the road, then that area is subject to flooding during heavy rain.

Earthquakes: I have been through several in California, Okinawa, and Japan but none here in San Antonio. There was one very minor earthquake about 50 miles south of SA (no damage). That is not to say one could not happen here but odds are VERY low that it would (no major faults that I know of around here).

Old 08-26-2006, 03:24 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,020 times
Thanks, Steelman. You are always so helpful. Once we move there, we'll have to take you out for dinner.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:29 PM

23 posts, read 95,201 times
Having lived in No. CA all my life, I can honestly say that I have never even felt an earthquake. Not even the Loma Prieto one in 87. Knock on wood!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:51 PM

I lived the first 19 years of my life in Southern California and felt many earthquakes. I guess it is not your FAULT that you haven't felt any earthquakes.

Some interesting web sites on California earthquakes.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
The only earthquakes I've ever felt were in Staten Island, NY & one in SB in the middle of the night.

No one believed me on the SI one but I know I felt something. Much later, when I was an adult, I did some research & found out that a major fault line runs th/NY State & tremors have been felt.

I may be goofy, but I'd rather live in CA & its earthquakes than anywhere where tornadoes or hurricanes are part of the seasons.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Earthquake vs. Tornadoes and Hurricanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
...I'd rather live in CA & its earthquakes than anywhere where tornadoes or hurricanes are part of the seasons.
Food for thought....you can run/seek shelter from a tornado or evacuate before a hurricane hits...but you can't run from a major earthquake (Pakistan for example).

Old 08-26-2006, 11:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Well...that's true. I guess living in San Diego where there hasn't been a major earthquake since ??? lulls us into a false sense of security. No one that I know of in our neighborhood or any of our friends even has EQ insurance.

It does make SA look good though - no fault lines, no immediate danger of tornadoes or hurricanes.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 AM

23 posts, read 95,201 times
I remember 4 years ago when we went to MI for my FIL memorial and having never been there, I was not quite prepared for all the greenery in August. We don't have green in August in Cali! LMAO! Well about an hour after we got to Alpena, there was this outrageous thunderstorm and then they started sending out Tornado Warnings and I told my hubby that I prefer CA because Earthquales have no warning and I would prefer not to know that it "might or might not" be happening. LOL Of course, I love a good thunderstorm!! Must be all the summers I spent in AZ as a kid.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 AM

116 posts, read 472,540 times
Most of the tornadoes (yes, there are some) seem to skirt the south/east sides of San Antonio. There was one a couple of years ago that picked up a semi truck on the southbound lanes of I-35 south of town, turned him around, and dropped him on the northbound lanes! Bet that was one tough cleaning job on that poor trucker's seat cushion!

As far as earthquakes... it's not there anymore, but a web hosting company called Rackspace used to have a blurb on their website explaining that they located in San Antonio because it's one of the most seismically stable sites in the US. I want to say that it said something about how it's one of only three places Lloyds of London would insure against earthquake damage but I forget exactly how it was worded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio