Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM

56 posts, read 117,412 times

Advertisements

My advice is: just give up.
Only rich OCD people have green grass around here. Renting now, but when we buy our first house here we plan on totally doing away with any pretense of a 'lawn' and going the rocks and extremely hearty groundcover route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 AM

7,101 posts, read 11,729,257 times
Geez dude - what's with the hate? Because folks are willing to do what it takes to keep their yards nice you wanna toss names an' labels on 'em? I mean, if you want a xeriscape yard, that's fine - it's up to you. Because others want grass, give them the same respect.

WG - Call one of the garden shows this weekend, or call one of the nursery's - they'll be able to help you with your problem!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,819,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Geez dude - what's with the hate? Because folks are willing to do what it takes to keep their yards nice you wanna toss names an' labels on 'em? I mean, if you want a xeriscape yard, that's fine - it's up to you. Because others want grass, give them the same respect.

WG - Call one of the garden shows this weekend, or call one of the nursery's - they'll be able to help you with your problem!
THANKS TexasRedneck

Concerning the Green Grass...May Folks are caught between a Rock and a Hard Place....You have to satisfy the HOA (If you have one) and too much money is invested in Landscaping to let it go.
Although we're in the midst of Water Restrictions its' extremely easy to keep as green yard. Now if someonne lives on an acre, two, or more, its a little hard but there is still a chance and it won't break the bank.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 AM

584 posts, read 1,186,866 times
I am not rich but a little OCD and I do like my lawn to look nice. When you buy a home and you plan to xeriscape made sure you check with the HOA to make sure it is allowed. You can do it in your back yard but possibly not allowed in your front yard. My HOA doesn't allow it at this point.

I would get Scott's to come out and inspect your lawn to see what could be affecting your lawn. I had spots and Scott's said it was chiggers. they put something on it to take care of it.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,063,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debik09 View Post
I just moved here from the midwest where we never had to do much to keep our lawns in good shape. I need some advice on what to do with my lawn here in San Antonio. Our grass was brown when we moved in but is now slowly starting to green up. It's Bermuda grass and since I am unfamiliar with both the type of grass and the quality of the ground here, I am wondering a few things:
1) How often do you water and for how long?

2) What do most of your yards have for dirt? Is it sandy, clay, top soil, etc...??? I am thinking the dirt doesn't look like it retains much moisture.

3) When do you use to fertilize each year? I don't want too do it to early or too late.

4) Any other advice, tips???

I know I am not going to have the same lawn we had in Iowa, but it would be great to at least have grass and not let it turn to patches of dirt.

Thanks for your help!

1. I water by hand every other day...I have a very small yard.
2. San Antonio is clay and rock. At least thats what mine is
3. I fertilize using organic fertilizer (chicken poop) 3 times a year..you will never burn your yard

There are a bunch of varieties of Bermuda. My builder gave us the lowest quality which I let die back in 2009 with our record heatwave.

I replaced my yard with El Toro Zoysia and now have the best looking yard in the neighborhood. It loves the sun but you have to regularly water your yard...keeping a nice yard during the summer in SA is tough if you do it yourself. If you got the money then hire someone to do it for you. St Augustine is another popular grass here but its a water hog.

I bought my Zoysia at Milbergers
Milberger Landscaping & Nursery

Its more expensive but its so worth it.

I buy my trees and bushes at Fanick's
Fanick Garden Center - San Antonio Nursery and Garden Center

these people are experts. They wont sell you something that wont grow in your area. I use to live in Michigan and I love pine trees. I bought an Arizona "Blue Ice" Cypress tree which does really well here and doesnt need maintenance once its established. Looks like a christmas tree and stays green all year. Mine grew 3ft in one year
Here is mine
http://i52.tinypic.com/309q5vm.jpg

Grass does go brown if you don't water it...its basically going into hibernation. Once November hits, all grass will go dormant unless you throw rye seeds down which I don't recommend at all unless you want to mow during the winter months.

use organic fertilizer..you will never accidentally burn your grass.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandad View Post
My advice is: just give up.
Only rich OCD people have green grass around here. Renting now, but when we buy our first house here we plan on totally doing away with any pretense of a 'lawn' and going the rocks and extremely hearty groundcover route.
not true

Im far from rich. taking care of a lawn if you do it by yourself is like another job. Its rewarding when you spend time to take care of it.

I had an incident with my new neighbor a couple of weeks ago. They have weeds and a little bit of burmuda grass left. She had someone she knows come over and cut the weeds down. well they got carried away or just doesnt have any common sense and mowed a whole lawn mowers width into my yard...I wouldn't have been so pissed if they wouldn't have mowed on the lowest freaking setting!! there was patches of yellow from my sidewalk all the way back to the fence..I was pissed but it came back in 2 weeks. I mean come on..you're mowing weeds then suddenly you're mowing nice green grass.....DUMB

Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,506,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
I am not rich but a little OCD and I do like my lawn to look nice. When you buy a home and you plan to xeriscape made sure you check with the HOA to make sure it is allowed. You can do it in your back yard but possibly not allowed in your front yard. My HOA doesn't allow it at this point.
It must be illegal for an HOA to forbid xeriscaping in this climate! I realize not every one wants that (and xeriscape need not mean rocks/hardscape, plenty of wonderful xeriscape plant options).

for the poster with the round patches, it could be grubs, could be a lot of things. Check out the lawn forum on garden web, lots of pictures too.

I have zoysia, shadow turf, and bermuda, depending on the sun. The bermuda got attacked by grubs and I'm letting it die back. Will eventually pull it out to put in an edible landscape in that area. I water once per week for 30 minutes. I fertilize in March and October with an organic fertilizer, usually ladybug.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Can anyone help me on this situation.....

Our home has Bermuda Grass and I mow it approx 1 1/2" and it pretty much stays lush and green. I have noticed several areas in the backyard where there are / were round dead spots (10"-12") with a greengrass in the middle. It can't be from dog pee. Someone said it "might" be a Fungus.
Has anyone had to deal with this and if so what did you do to rid your lawn of it?

THANK YOU
grass doesnt stay "lush green" unless you water the hell out of it..especially in this heat.

you probably have either fungus or some sort of pests like grub worms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio