Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 16,266 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from the midwest where we never had to do much to keep our lawns in good shape. I need some advice on what to do with my lawn here in San Antonio. Our grass was brown when we moved in but is now slowly starting to green up. It's burmuda grass and since I am unfamiliar with both the type of grass and the quality of the ground here, I am wondering a few things:
1) How often do you water and for how long?

2) What do most of your yards have for dirt? Is it sandy, clay, top soil, etc...??? I am thinking the dirt doesn't look like it retains much moisture.

3) When do you use to fertalize each year? I don't want too do it to early or too late.

4) Any other advice, tips???

I know I am not going to have the same lawn we had in Iowa, but it would be great to at least have grass and not let it turn to patches of dirt.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,733,345 times
Bermuda grass is dormant in the winter. That's why it was brown...if you see a really green yard in Jan or Feb they've top-seeded with winter rye usually.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
As noted, bermuda goes dormant in winter. Ours is just starting to green - it comes out of dormancy when low temperatures exceed 50 F (overnight temps usually are the lowest, so...). I like to listen to KTSA (550 AM) on the weekends - they have an excellent gardening show who's host is really good about suggesting care, etc.
I water weekly to get about 1" of water onto the grass. FWIW, ours is currently Bermuda, but I'm gradually plugging it to "carpet grass". The thinking several years back was that Bermuda is more drought tolerant, but practical experience is showing that the two grasses have about the same water requirements, and I think the carpet grass looks a LOT nicer. The plugs will gradually take over from the bermuda, and actually do better at keeping weeds choked out.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM

584 posts, read 1,188,022 times
I also have burmuda and it is slowly turning green. My spinkler is set to once a week due to that is what we are allowed to water during Stage 1 water restrictions. Watering that one day is enough because you want to get a good soak versus multiple times a week with less time.

Fertilizing I currently have Scotts come to my house. They do all the process to keep me from breaking my back. My husband and I do take care of mowing and edging though. Scotts is about $42 every 6 weeks I think. I pay $37 with a military discount. I also have them aerate the yard which helps also. This is also another visit cost but if you rent the aerator it would cost you more.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,516,861 times
How long do you water per zone once a week?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Verio, the length of time depends on the coverage and kinds of heads you have. The key is to actually measure the water, and adjust the time accordingly. Bottom line - you want an inch of water on the yard. For me, that's about 40 minutes per zone, so I split them - 20 minutes each zone, run each zone through twice - that gives the water time to soak from the first application.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,729 times
Welcome to San Antonio!

Please visit the SAWS Webpage and look under the Conservation Toolbar. You'll find many valuable sources of information including rebates and how much you need to water. Be sure and sign up for the WaterSaver Newsletter.

www.saws.org

Get ready All. I feel STAGE ONE coming quickly....

Remember to Report Water Waste. The more waste the faster we'll go into Stage One, Two, etc. Of course Mother Nature can help out with some rain. We pay BexarMet Water Rates and darn the water bill is higher than our SAWS bill was.

Last edited by wellguy; 03-28-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM

923 posts, read 1,494,979 times
I'd be interested in what kind of fertilizer y'all are putting on your yards, especially if you have St Augustine.

In the past I have usually got a truck-load of Alamo Grow from GardenVille, and it's great, but it's a lot of work to spread it.

If anyone knows anything that is easier to spread (granular), let me know.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,678,993 times
Lawn Care - Scotts Miracle-Gro

Follow the Scotts schedule and your lawn will look great (if we dont have any major water restrictions this year - which is not looking likely)

Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,729 times
Can anyone help me on this situation.....

Our home has Bermuda Grass and I mow it approx 1 1/2" and it pretty much stays lush and green. I have noticed several areas in the backyard where there are / were round dead spots (10"-12") with a greengrass in the middle. It can't be from dog pee. Someone said it "might" be a Fungus.
Has anyone had to deal with this and if so what did you do to rid your lawn of it?

THANK YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio