Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried this stuff? I bought my first carton the other day and thought it was some of the best tasting chocolate milk I've ever tasted ...thick, rich and chocolatey.....and get this...they claim it's 50% less sugar and 50% more protein than regular milk. It's also lactose-free.
So, today I went to buy another one and the entire rack was sold out. I guess people are finding out about this milk. Way to go HEB! Another great product.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Betcha they put SOMETHING in it that you don't want to be consuming. I'm gonna look and see what the ingredients are.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Betcha they put SOMETHING in it that you don't want to be consuming. I'm gonna look and see what the ingredients are.
I looked and didn't find anything. It's real milk. I think what makes it "sweet" was the lack of lactose. Now correct me if I am wrong, but milk contains an ingredient (lactase?) that converts to sugar in your intestine. This is what gives some people upset stomachs and why they can't drink the stuff. However, by being lactose free, the milk tastes a little sweeter for some reason. Ever drink lactose-free milk? I don't like it that much because it tastes a bit too sweet, but with Mootopia, the sweetness is mixed with raw cocoa and that's why you get the regular chocolate milk taste. Real cocoa without the added sugar is supposed to be mixed with sugar to give you that sweet cocoa taste, and in this case the sweetness comes from the sugar used in place of the lactose which would've been converted to sugar (along with other sugar on top of that!). But by skipping that extra sugar step we get to cut some of that extra sugar out.

I admit, I dont' have any confidence in what I just said, but it's the internet and there's a good chance I am right.

Last edited by doss1; 03-29-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM

I think you're right. I've googled and googled and can't find out what the ingredients are but it sounds very scientific. Good for them, if they've done something good for their customers. I found out that the company that apparently makes it makes no mention of Mootopia on their website. Guess HEB won't let them?? Select Milk is the company.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

358 posts, read 821,565 times
In lactose free milk, the lactose is broken down into two digestible sugars, hence the slightly sweet taste. Lactose free milk does make superior chocolate milk, IMO.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,306 times
I totally agree... We have been drinking Mootopia for some time and YUM, the chocolate milk is so very good...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM

there's a very flash heavy website for Mootopia, but I think it was overkill. I just wanted to find some info and i gave up, too. Now I can't find it!

But I did find lots of comments around the web:

"Why is everyone talking about Mootopia brand milk from HEB? "

"I've had 3 different people talk to me about Mootopia milk this week. I tried to look at their website, but it's too strange for me (a cartooney fantasy land). Must be some kind of viral marketing thing."
*he mentions that same website I went to...now I can't find it

"Every person also mentioned how awesome the chocolate milk tasted."

"Now, there is a solution. For those of you lucky enough to live in Texas, get yourselves to an HEB and pick up a carton of HEB Mootopia in the chocolate flavor. The carton claims it's real reduced fat milk, only better. And they aren't kidding. First, the taste is wonderful. Thick, rich and chocolatey. Then, to assure guilt-free drinking, just check out the Nutrition box. Extra protein: 12 grams per cup. And only 11 grams of sugar. 150 calories. It's also lactose free. Wow. "

""For six years, H-E-B has been marketing one such milk in Texas," Bouma said. "This milk is produced by Select Milk and bottled by H-E-B at its plants in Texas. This designer milk, called 'Mootopia,' has more protein and more calcium (all fresh from cow’s milk) but with fewer carbohydrates. This lactose-free milk still tastes the same sweetness as regular milk.""

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Welcome to my secret Nick.. except I get the fat-free regular milk. It has double the protein and no lactose, so it's the ideal solution. Of course the wally world mentality shoppers won't buy it, though, because of the higher price. It is actually recommended by the WHMC bariatric clinic for the pre-surgery liquid diets and high protein/low fat/low carb diets some of us get to enjoy for the rest of our frozen lives..

BTW, did you notice the insane expiration date? and it's real too, or at least close. Our last half gallon said it was good for a little over two months and it made it until a little shy of two months, so the expiration will probably come sooner, especially if it's been open for an extremely long time. We really don't drink a lot of milk at all around here..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
All I drink is Mootopia's version of skim, as it's lactose/fat free and only about 90 calories a glass. Also, it's got 4x the amount of protein versus other skim milks. I've really grown to love it.

I've had a taste of the choco variety, but it's just too thick for me. I guess I've gotten too used to skim.

As for the insane freshness: Lack of lactose is the game-changer. Milk sugars cause more immediate spoilage.

BN

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 PM

I buy the Horizon organic milk for the wicked long expiration dates. We're not big milk drinkers either so it's nice when you can keep milk around for a while. Next time I'm in HEB I'll give this a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: