Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
Look, having been someone who's lived OUTSIDE of San Antonio and Texas (unlike seemingly 70% of the population here) I can say that the population in Houston, Dallas, and Austin SEEMS more educated. hello's stats backed this up. Yeah, there are educated and non educated people everywhere, but the number of uneducated seems far greater in SA....FAR greater. One of my favorite things to do is to sit and people watch...and people in Houston, Dallas, and Austin just look so much more put together.
Should I be worried? This sounds like an unhealthy hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
It's only an unhealthy hobby in San Antonio...

Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM

26 posts, read 154,649 times
Guys, guys we don't have to argue. Although anybody would get defensive when somebody insults your town. How 'bout this...you don't like San Antonio then don't come here. If you like it you are very welcome to visit as many times as you want. In the meantime I'll keep visiting my family in Houston and in Dallas and I'll drive up to Austin to visit my friend at school. Texas is such a great, huge state that we can have many great cities to choose from. Remember we're all Texans.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
What do the negative or positive points concerning SA vs. Houston have anything to do with a poster living in said city or not, and leaving if he/she does not like it? Of course some of us can (and are working on) leaving. That doesn't really have anything to do with opinions, though. As a Californian, if a Texan were to insult my town, I would brush it off. If I think my hometown is the best place in the country, what point is it to argue. I don't get insulted either. I just think the person has a different perspective on "culture" or whatever. However, in my general experience, when people get defensive with city insults (just as with personal ones--note a city insult is NOT a personal attack; you are not the city you live in!!), it's indicative of that person knowing there's some truth to it. Instead of getting all bent out of shape, just look inward to examine why you are getting so upset about some stranger thinking a city is backwards because its freeways take too long to build. Note, though... No, we're not all Texans...

Last edited by hello13685; 08-02-2007 at 12:57 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 05:32 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Default YEA Yea

Houston and San Antonio are the two best cities in Texas-case closed

Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Insulting my city is like insulting my mama... don't you talk about my mama! Really though I have no idea why people get upset over it. After all, those that like to throw out insults are only showing insecurities in themselves. So can we stop acting like Rosie and Donald?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM

190 posts, read 219,774 times
lol. I rather agree with hello. If someone said Chicago or New York was superficial, shallow, etc I wouldn't get mad. Because I KNOW there's an element of truth to those statements. Those aren't exactly nice things to say about a city.

Conversely, when some of us express our opinion that San Antonio is backwards or hick, it SHOULDN'T insult any San Antonians. If it does, it's because you know there's some element of truth to those statements....

Old 08-02-2007, 05:05 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
lol. I rather agree with hello. If someone said Chicago or New York was superficial, shallow, etc I wouldn't get mad. Because I KNOW there's an element of truth to those statements. Those aren't exactly nice things to say about a city.
Of course you wouldn't get upset, you live in neither. Having lived in neither myself, I wouldn't become upset either. I don't get that argument. Why not go into the Chicago forum or the New York forum of City Data and repeat those words and we'll see if their forward and sophisticated enough to keep mum. I lived in LA, Miami, Denver and Houston. If I stilled lived in either of those cities and was posting in their sub forums and someone came in and bad mouthed said cities I'd get as ticked off as I do with you guys in the SA forum.

Quote:
Conversely, when some of us express our opinion that San Antonio is backwards or hick, it SHOULDN'T insult any San Antonians. If it does, it's because you know there's some element of truth to those statements....
That itself sounds like a god awful backwards statement. To remain silent proves the libel is false but to speak up means it's true. Is that what you're saying? Seriously...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio