Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM

31 posts, read 44,231 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone might have.
My husband and I are considering a move to Texas from S. California.
We are looking at S.A., Austin, North-Dallas, Fort Worth.

We are a fairly conservative Christian family.
Although we are Cal. Natives and love the climate, we are tired of the high cost of housing and the ultra liberal values economically and socially of our community.

I homeschool our two daughters so we are not particular about school systems.
My husband has a small recycling company and would like to continue running it .

We would ideally like to find a safe but affordable neighborhood.
Possibly small (1000-1500 sq. feet), older house in an established community, lots of churches, mature trees, community pools, parks, bike trails, lakes but would need to be relatively close to a city (20-30 minutes) for business.. We are seeking to spend about 100K or less.

I would ideally like to involved in the "homeschooling" community.
Is anyone familiar with any groups out there?
I haven't been able to get much info. here.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM

28 posts, read 80,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella65 View Post
I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone might have.
My husband and I are considering a move to Texas from S. California.
We are looking at S.A., Austin, North-Dallas, Fort Worth.

We are a fairly conservative Christian family.
Although we are Cal. Natives and love the climate, we are tired of the high cost of housing and the ultra liberal values economically and socially of our community.

That would mean Austin gets crossed off the list. I am not sure that 100k is going to get what you want in a decent area of SA OR DFW area.

130-150 yes

Fort Worth side is the better side of DFW.
San ANtonio the north side.
There is also New Braunfels north on 35 of SA that may work well

Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,337,411 times
A coworker of mine was looking at foreclosed homes and is most likely closing on one very soon that he picked up for only $80K. It's near 90/1604, has about 1700 sq. feet, and was built in 2007. Still has to get inspected before he closes, but initial impressions were all positive on it. Some of the others he was looking at were quite a bit older and/or more distressed.
I would also vote that SA is probably your best option given the circumstances. I doubt you can find what you're looking for in Big D and FW and Austin is not going to be much different from the looney tune areas of California.

BTW, nice informative posting. Others could learn some lessons from that..

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,941,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella65 View Post
We would ideally like to find a safe but affordable neighborhood.

Possibly small (1000-1500 sq. feet), older house in an established community, lots of churches, mature trees, community pools, parks, bike trails, lakes but would need to be relatively close to a city (20-30 minutes) for business.. We are seeking to spend about 100K or less.
Sorry, but I don't think you're gonna find anything that meets that criteria here or anywhere else. Well, at least not someplace where you'd actually want to live!

Nice older homes with those kind of amenities nearby are well above your stated price range. I don't even think you'll be able to find a townhome or a duplex that comes close.

And we only have to real lakes here, Medina and Canyon; neither are within a half hour of SA and you probably wouldn't be able to buy the land much less some with a house on it for that.

San Antonio is a great place to live, and we have a relatively low cost-of-living; so it would be a good choice in that regard. I don't think the recycling business here is very robust, but that depends on what kind of recycling your husband does. Be prepared in that because of our low cost-of-living, salaries are not as high here as they are where you live now; and that much of the job market here centers on the tourism, the military and the medical profession. It is very blue collar.

So you might want to take a closer look at our fair city before making any decisions to move here. It doesn't suit everyone (our climate is even hotter and dryer than yours, so be prepared) and I would recommend a visit if you can.

For the record I don't think you'll have any better luck in Austin, North-Dallas or Fort Worth; SA is probably your best fit out of all the cities you listed but again, it all depends on how much of your wish list you have to have (versus would like to have).

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM

298 posts, read 943,632 times
Look into Leander, TX which is about 30-45 min north of central Austin. Many homes below $125K....tons of parks, trails, 20 min from the lake. Conservative as well. Feels like a small town but close to anything you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio