Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
So, the family and I have been here for the last year, and we missed Fiesta last year unfortunately.

This year, we wanted to make an effort to see what Fiesta was all about. However, our problem is, we still can't figure out what the heck Fiesta is. There seems to be small little celebrations all over the city, some cost money, some don't. We decided to drive down to the Alamo this afternoon to see what if anything was going on for Fiesta... and we found a few vendors, but nothing exciting.

Someone please tell me how to experience Fiesta, as it seems to be this huge deal, and I just don't see anything.
Fiesta celebrates a war that america won and mexico lost. ironically, the tradition started in mexico and migrated to the states. why mexico chooses to celebrate a war they lost is beyond me, but you really cant expect more from them TBH. after all, its a country who has a president that blames america for mexicos drug problem!!!

Last edited by DexterCat; 04-16-2011 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: bad data :(
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,660 times
Hmmm....if my 7th grade history class taught me anything it was that MEXICO won the Battle of the Alamo.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
but that's the beauty of war.. You can lose a couple battles, but still win the overall war

Old 04-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
but that's the beauty of war.. You can lose a couple battles, but still win the overall war
i still would like a legitimate reason for celebrating a war that you lost. i can understand remembering the day so history doesnt repeat itself, but celebrating like you won??

Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
Fiesta celebrates a war that america won and mexico lost. ironically, the tradition started in mexico and migrated to the states. why mexico chooses to celebrate a war they lost is beyond me, but you really cant expect more from them TBH. after all, its a country who has a president that blames america for mexicos drug problem!!!
See the link posted above.

The Battle of Flowers Parade, which is what initiated Fiesta:
"paying homage to the heroes of the battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto is the Battle of Flowers Parade. It was first held in 1891."

It wasn't intended as a "celebration" but an event to honor. San Antonio being San Antonio, over time, it has morphed into a celebration. FWIW, if you've been to any wakes/Catholic rosaries when someone dies (Mexican or Irish, but am sure it's the same in other cultures), the event paying respects to the deceased turns into a party, celebrating life. I see Fiesta the same way.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i still would like a legitimate reason for celebrating a war that you lost. i can understand remembering the day so history doesnt repeat itself, but celebrating like you won??
The battle at the Alamo was lost to give Sam Houston the time to later win the Battle of San Jacinto and thus the war WAS won.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
The battle at the Alamo was lost to give Sam Houston the time to later win the Battle of San Jacinto and thus the war WAS won.
i wasnt referencing the side sam houston was on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio