Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 36 year old Black Female (if it matters) traveling from the Washington, DC area for a conference and extended stay in San Antonio. I have been to Texas before Houston and Austin, and loved both. I am excited to see the River Walk and heard about some cool ghost tours in the city. Looking forward to some authentic Tex-Mex as well. .

My only concern is that I am traveling solo and since I have never been to the city before, so just curious if there is anywhere where I should stay away from, etc. For my first two nights I am staying at hotel near the airport (not my preference-but it was what company suggested), then I will be downtown at the Marriott for the rest of my stay. I guess my questions are:

Will I need a car to get around most places?

Where are the best places for shopping? I plan to do some local shopping since I will be there for a while, I read about the mall at Alamo Ranch, but looks a little far on the map?

Is it a safe city to travel to alone ? Any place I shouldn't go?

Are the ghost tours really scary?

And of course, where can I find the best Tex-Mex ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Howdy! I think you're gonna have a good time - you're asking good questions, and aren't coming with any preconceptions...

My suggestions:

1. Mi Tierra Cafe & Bakery, 218 Produce Row - it's one of the "gotta go there" places in SA. Kinda like going to DC and not seeing the Smithsonian...there's better Mexican food, but it has a neat atmosphere that I think you'll enjoy.

2. Schilo's Deli, 424 E Commerce St - one of the best kept secrets in downtown SA, some outstanding German style deli. Many folks don't know that there's a huge German population that settled in SA in the mid-1800's.

From there...much depends on what interests you. The Alamo is certainly an interesting place to see & visit, there's also a number of historic churches downtown. You're likely used to cabs - that would be a viable alternative to messing with a rental car, IMO.

You'll find the Rivercenter Mall right around the corner from the hotel with some pretty interesting shopping to be found.

Hope this helps!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
I would save your money on the ghost tours. There is nothing scary, except some of the scary looking tour guides. Its mostly a history lesson about San Antonio, and mostly coming from their perspective and not actual fact

Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
While you're staying at the airport, North Star Mall is just a couple of exits down 410. I would suggest a cab for your stay. Also, Fiesta is going on now, so not sure when your trip is. Downtown can get pretty crazy during Fiesta. And I would stay away from Chacho's Mex food on Perrin Beitel near 410, especially at night.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
There's a wonderful historic SA tour, the Menger Hotel should have info if your's doesn't. It's a walking tour of downtown.

Stroll the riverwalk, but not just the "U" where all the restaurants/bars are which, IMO, aren't the greatest. head up the museum reach to the Pearl or South into King William and onto the MissionReach to explore. Better yet, do it on a bike. Rentals available at local bike shops or the new B-cycle program.

For "local" shopping, check out the shops in La Villita. A nice mall is La Cantera, on the city's far northwest side (I-10/1604), but though the shops are nice, they're not really unique to SA so depending on what you want, may not be worth the trek. The mall itself is outdoor and a lovely setting.

Tex-mex - my favourite is Taco Haven on S. Presa (about 1.5 miles south of the Alamo) but they're not open for dinner. Breakfast is the time to go. For good restaurants within a short walk, any in Southtown are worthwhile - Azuca, La Frite, Rosarios, Olorosa, Friendly Spot (Ice house with great casual food), Blue Star (Brewery with decent pub grub)...or bike to the Pearl and try the Sandbar or Il Sogno.

Alamo - check it out early morning. The Missions - take a bike and cycle down to all 4, bring a picnic lunch and stop at any of them to rest and enjoy.

Museums - McNay, SAMA, Witte.

You can survive without a car downtown easily, preferably. The rest depends on how long you'll be here and where you really want to go. Our public transportation isn't the greatest, but there are buses to many places just outside downtown/outside walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio