Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 AM

23 posts, read 45,273 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'd first like to note this just a thought and I haven't yet decided what I'll do. I would however like to branch out. I lived in Georgia since 3rd grade (I'm 22 now) So it's about that time I leave the nest if you will.... Lived in the Atlanta area since early 2004

I do however like to research things before I consider anything.

My areas of interest where:
San Antonio
Kileen/Fort Hood area (Aunt lives there)

I'm planning to move out on my own soon I grew up in a military family so moving around is a joy for me. I'd like to see the new atmosphere.

How is San Antonio? Overall I mean. Is there a lot to do? I don't go to the clubs like that but I do at times like to go to lounges and such. Is there certain areas I should keep my guard up about? Like in Atlanta, I'm sure there's areas that can't just casually waltz around in without any cautiousness.
I suppose I'd be living on my own (unless got a roommate or something)

Really if I where to consider to move there (or anywhere out of state for that matter) would depend if I could get employment there...specifically in the computer engineering field (office work is fine too) but I'm working on that...

I appreciate any info you can give me and will be looking forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,490,861 times
Unless you don't mind living in a small town (in comparison to Atlanta), I would recommend San Antonio over Killeen. San Antonio has a growing IT industry, so it shouldn't be too hard finding a job here if you have experience. The inner west and east sides are the most dangerous parts of San Antonio. The south side is hit or miss. There are some pockets on the northeast, northwest, and north central sides I wouldn't want to live in; but in general, those areas are safe.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 AM

Unfortunately I'd be only coming in as entry level (if anything) seeing that I don't have "work" experience other then what I've done on my spare time or assisting friends and such. For a bout 2 years now I've been assisting my mother and her teacher's group at her school with their comptuters in the class room along with doing office style work like copying,scanning,etc So I do have other experiences.

There's only one location i've heard of... um....I believe it's called San Antonia College. What side of SA is that in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Unless you don't mind living in a small town (in comparison to Atlanta), I would recommend San Antonio over Killeen.
I guess I should make more clear. I do live in the Atlanta area yes but not the Atlanta Metropolitan area (Downtown) I actually live in Hampton. Although part of the Atlanta area as far as the area itself oppose to the city, Hampton is actually quiet compared to say Atlanta....I guess you can say the country side of Atlanta.... Atlanta not too far at all though only about 40 ish minutes to get downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
There are some pockets on the northeast, northwest, and north central sides I wouldn't want to live in; but in general, those areas are safe.
May I ask how come?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 AM

San Antonio College is just north of downtown.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 AM

Ah ok so in about the hit and miss area....

Eh I still have ALOT more research to look into so I'd take all the information I can get.

Getting a job in my field there might be a tough one seeing that alot of times unless they having a hard time filling up position, they'll mostly consider people local opposed to out of out of state...

Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Perrin Beitel and 410 is one not so great part of the NE side. The Glen, Sunrise, and Camelot areas are high crime areas on the NE side. Parts of the NW side inside the loop are kind of rough and I haven't heard too many good things about the Ingram area. Some people are starting to complain about the Medical Center, but I don't think it's that bad. I lived by the Old San Francisco Steakhouse on the north central side for years and would only recommend that neighborhood to my enemies.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,545,113 times
To the OP ...I moved here from Acworth GA, north of ATL.

SA does not have a small town feel to it at all. A small town = a few thousand people and everything in a 10 minute radius. Acworth had 15000 people when I moved there. Now growing up in DFW I am used to big cities/towns as well. I am not familiar with Hampton but I am assuming it is not big like ATL from what you described.

With that said, we love San Antonio. Fall however is nowhere near as pretty as fall in GA but then again it's much warmer here in the winter too.

Always stuff to do here besides clubs in SA so I don't think having a social life would be a difficult task for you.

As far as where to live...tough one and depends on what your budget is. I am over by Sea World which is more suburbia than trendy town. I can easly get on 90 and get to downtown in a short period of time. Never felt unsafe here in the 4 1/2 years we have been here.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,358,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye3rd89 View Post
Hello

I'd first like to note this just a thought and I haven't yet decided what I'll do. I would however like to branch out. I lived in Georgia since 3rd grade (I'm 22 now) So it's about that time I leave the nest if you will.... Lived in the Atlanta area since early 2004

I do however like to research things before I consider anything.

My areas of interest where:
San Antonio
Kileen/Fort Hood area (Aunt lives there)

I'm planning to move out on my own soon I grew up in a military family so moving around is a joy for me. I'd like to see the new atmosphere.

How is San Antonio? Overall I mean. Is there a lot to do? I don't go to the clubs like that but I do at times like to go to lounges and such. Is there certain areas I should keep my guard up about? Like in Atlanta, I'm sure there's areas that can't just casually waltz around in without any cautiousness.
I suppose I'd be living on my own (unless got a roommate or something)

Really if I where to consider to move there (or anywhere out of state for that matter) would depend if I could get employment there...specifically in the computer engineering field (office work is fine too) but I'm working on that...

I appreciate any info you can give me and will be looking forward to hearing from you.
Have you thought about Dallas? It's just as close to Killeen-Ft. Hood as San Antonio, and the ammenities will be much closer to what you're accustomed to, being close to Atlanta and all.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 AM

Well I've got a phone interview with one of the jobs I applied for later this week so we'll see where it goes...

I did have a question. How is the school system there? (college)
I graduated from DeVry from in 2010 with my associates in Electronics & Computer Technology
and wished to go back to school when I was able to.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 AM

UTSA is working to become a tier 1 school and we have some private universities that are regionally ranked. Texas A&M - San Antonio and UTSA are a lot cheaper than Devry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio