Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 26,175 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to San Antonio...we have narrowed our search for homes to either Stone Oak area or some of the more established neighborhoods just inside loop 1604 (deerfield, hollywood park, etc.) Can anyone offer any input about elementary schools, neighborhoods, shopping, etc? Our daughter will be going into K and I'm also looking for a nice church preschool or mother's day out program for our 3 yr old twins. Would prefer gated neighborhood close to schools, grocery shopping, target, etc...thanks for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:11 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devriendte View Post
We are relocating to San Antonio...we have narrowed our search for homes to either Stone Oak area or some of the more established neighborhoods just inside loop 1604 (deerfield, hollywood park, etc.) Can anyone offer any input about elementary schools, neighborhoods, shopping, etc? Our daughter will be going into K and I'm also looking for a nice church preschool or mother's day out program for our 3 yr old twins. Would prefer gated neighborhood close to schools, grocery shopping, target, etc...thanks for any advice you can offer.
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. Unfortunately, we lived there for 3 years.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:31 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,617 times
(take everything FCF says with a grain of salt.)

We moved here 3 years ago and love it. The two neighborhoods I really concentrated my search in were Deerfield and Inwood. I also really really love Hollywood Park- all have excellent elementary schools!

The Vineyard is also nice, as is Rogers Ranch. GL! Again, all have good schools.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
Ignore FCF, the rest of us do. You are looking at nice parts of SA. I love the schools in Stone Oak which is where we are, although not gated. The Sonterra gated areas go to Stone Oak Elementary school which is our school and I love it. Promentory Pointe has gated areas and a few more along Wilderness Oak which go to Wilderness Oak Elementary. I know many parents very happy there--I prefer the smallness of Stone Oak. I have friends in Mesa Grande who love Hardy Oak. Also, Canyon Springs (probably the bulk of the gated areas) is a great school as well--also huge though. Across 281 is Encino Park. As of a few years ago The Terraces (great neighborhood) went to Encino Park rather then Roan Forest. Both score well and I had friends that loved Encino Park but I heard next year they are putting ALL the Kinder in 1 room. I'm pretty sure all these schools ranked Exemplary and high on the other rankings as well.

The other neighborhoods are probably Huebner Oaks except possibly Hollywood Park. Check on that as it might mean you have to drive on 1604/281 to get from Hollywood Park to school (yuck!) Again, Huebner Oaks is a great school and I know parents thrilled their kids are there.

As to MDO/preschool--Concordia Lutheran is very popular and is T/Th 9-3. Crown of Life over in Stone Oak is also very popular. That one I know personally and it is great. For the Pre-K it is only 3 hours although you can add extended care for additional time--it's pricey though and hard to get into. They do offer a summer program if you want to try it out but then it might be too late to enroll. We're in a Preschool off the beaten path a bit but we like it--it's small and a bit "older" setting and since we just moved back the bonus was they had a spot for my 4 yr old. It's Churchill Baptist up Blanco near the high school. Very convenient for the Deerfield area. Also 5 hours 2 days a week and compared to the drive I made for 3 hours in NC it's not so bad.

Hope you enjoy SA, it's a great place to raise a family, we love the schools and we were so thrilled we only had to be away 8 months!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 PM

149 posts, read 434,021 times
Quote:

I personally would stay away from Stone Oak. The other neighborhoods you listed are fine.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Personally, I would only take advice about Stone Oak from someone who LIVES in Stone Oak. Good luck and happy travels Stone Oak schools are exceptional.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM

11 posts, read 32,335 times
North Central Thousand Oaks Community is ideal -- with three of the best schools in the NEISD district. Check out the neighborhood association site. NCTONA | North Central Thousand Oaks Neighborhood AssociationSan Antonio, TX
Stone Oak is a traffic nightmare and too far away from everything in San Antonio. A gated community is kind of a gimmic -- it really can't keep the bad people out and you still can't trust everyone who lives in it and there are lots of service people coming and going just like on regular streets. Great neighbors is what makes the difference with safety, I think.Also, there is no shade up in Stone Oak area because the developers cut down all the trees, so walking in the summer is impossible unless you love 100-degree sun bearing down on you. Check out Oakline Drive near Jones Maltzberger -- you have McAllister Park, the streets are lined with mature shade trees just like in Alamo Heights (with houses costing half the price), the best NEISD schools, direct access to Target, Home Depot, the mall, movies, restaurants, 15 minutes to Alamo Heights and Quarry Market, 10 minutes to the airport -- and you don't get the air traffic that you do over Hollywood Park and Deerfield and Churchill areas, as the flight path for airlines is west and northwest of the airport, not north. You get a few planes when they change their paths for some reason, but other than that it's quiet. I researched this are well before we moved from upstate New York and for all these reasons, this is by far the best suburban neighborhood in the city.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Can you tell me what it is about Stone Oak that you don't like...I have heard the traffic is pretty rough...any other thoughts?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
Personally, I would only take advice about Stone Oak from someone who LIVES in Stone Oak. Good luck and happy travels Stone Oak schools are exceptional.

Do you live in Stone Oak? If so, would appreciate any feedback...yes, have heard the schools are the best, which is why we will probably go with that area. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM

759 posts, read 3,689,617 times
Quote:
Can you tell me what it is about Stone Oak that you don't like...I have heard the traffic is pretty rough...any other thoughts?
I would say it is a matter of personal preference. Do you like new homes and a newer area or do you prefer a more established neighborhood and area? Both have pros and cons, but really, it comes down to what YOU want.

We lived in new construction in Ft. Worth. Loved my new house, beautiful kitchen, and the fact that I was the first owner. Also loved the fact that we had ZERO issues with our "new" home. However, when we moved here, my husband and I decided we wanted a more established area- and we're okay with our 1990's kitchen and bathroom (for now), beacuse we have a kick-butt location, huge yard, and massive oak trees...

That said, we've also had to replace our roof... our home has needed more maintenance... but we knew that it would going in to it. We looked all over the city and ultimately decided 78248 was the zip for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio