Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to do next. Maybe I can get some helpful advise. There is a woman on my street who walks her dog and allows the dog to deficate on the lawns of others houses. She does NOT pick up after the dog. And he is a big Boxer. I've seen her allow it and not clean up 3 times. Today, I asked her if she was aware of the pooper scooper laws. I told her she was not being very neighborly or conciderate. I do not know the woman, she rents a house across and 6 down from me. I don't know the LL or her near neighbors. She allowed the dog to dump on my lawn once and my nexr neighbors once. Today, it was a vacant house across the street.
My first thought is to get a scoop and put it on her front porch steps.
I know there is a city ordinace that requires dog owners to clean up after thier pet, but how do I get it enforced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
You are correct in that there is a City ordinance requiring owners to clean up after their pets, but it is certainly widely disregarded, and I'm doubtful you would have much success getting it enforced.

But remember, the ordinance applies to City Right-of Way, which is usually up to about 10 feet back from the curb/street. Pet owners (or anyone else, actually) are not supposed to set foot onto private property without permission of the owner or tenant. Consequently, your yard is off limits, whether they pick up, or not.

I've seen some people in my neighborhood with yard signs that communicate their desire (through words or images) not to have their yard used a pet's lavatory. Might be worth a try, just to see if the pet owner would heed the message. And keep in mind, they may still use the right-of-way in front of your house, on the condition they pick up afterwards.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
This might help:

http://www.myparkingsign.com/MPS/QDS/poop.aspx

Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM

246 posts, read 433,450 times
I don't know about your neighborhood but ours has so many strays that the amount of poop from people walking their dogs is dwarfed by the stray poop. If you can't get the city to pick up the strays how do you think they can enforce a poop law? My flower beds are a giant cat litter box.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Catch her in the action, take photos, and go to your HOA? We are VERY diligent about this in our neighborhood, everyone has plastic bags when they are out walking their dogs...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,317 times
i'm in bob's shoes; while a few neighbor's let their dog make on neighbor yards, the majority of mess is from strays and loose dogs. to be honest, my first impression was "wow, her dog was on a leash?"

indeed what ged specified is correct, but it is next to impossible to enforce. if you have an hoa, this would be the time to get them involved since they'd be more likley to take action over complaining to the city.

if you've talked to her already about not using your yard as a lavatory, a sign probably won't deter her. please and thank you signs seem to be largely ignored. personally in my neighborhood i would be worried about signs being defaced or objects being stolen or abused. though, you seem to live in a neighborhood that walks their dogs on leashes so maybe they're a little more civilized about that sort of thing.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
No HOA, so that isn't going to help. Thanks for the suggestion. I took the last pile and dumped it on her doorstep this morning. I'm not going to waste time and effort to watch for her. The next time I see it, she will get another pile on her steps. My neighbors are in agreement and will also follow suit if they see it. She just looks at me when I tell her she is NOT being very neighborly. The other neighbors are going to sorta make up a vigilante group and if they see her, watch and follow the dog's dump with a dump on her steps. There isn't a problem with strays in the area for some reason. I think it's becasue there are so many responsible pet owners. It's the humans who need fixin!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio