Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM

6 posts, read 7,165 times

Advertisements

I will be in San Antonio in the next couple of weeks to look for a place to rent in the RiverWalk area. I have typically utilized Craigslist to search for a rental property. It seems to be full of third parties trying to do a search for you. Any recommendations on where to go to find rentals downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
Those "third parties" are Apartment Locators, and can be really helpful when trying to find a rental, especially for someone from out of town. HOWEVER, for anywhere downtown, there really is only ONE person to go to! Several of us "oldies" on here continually recommend her, as she is the AUTHORITY on downtown and will typically know of a rental being available even before it's on the market. I will send you a direct message with her contact info and website (as it's against the terms of service here to post Real Estate agent information). You would do yourself well by contacting her. Best wishes!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Another potential is to take some time to drive around the areas near to downtown, both north and south of downtown to see the areas and look for rental signs on properties that are managed by the owners. They don't necessarily advertise or list. Some close in areas may fit the bill for downtown living.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Thank you both for the ideas!!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,002 times
I JUST moved to S/A last week and was looking in the riverwalk area. 1) Many won't tell you that parking for apartments is VERY limited...and its $50 a month. The city only provides 1 lot for all apartments in the downtown corridor and it's located in the north part of the area so you have to walk there. 2) When I was searching, I had short time frame (2 weeks to move) and the only apartment worth looking at (Hemisphere Apt.) was booked up until March so start now and let them know when you're moving. 3) Consider moving outside of downtown. I work there and live in the Medical Center- my commute at 9 AM is only 10-15 min & you've got more choices out there. If you must live near downtown, lots of old homes were converted into rental units but require high deposits. Consider looking in the King William, Monticello, Jefferson, or Monte Vista areas- they're very nice and well established neighborhoods.

Good luck! I had only 2 days to search so I hope you have the best of luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshi198 View Post
I JUST moved to S/A last week and was looking in the riverwalk area. 1) Many won't tell you that parking for apartments is VERY limited...and its $50 a month. The city only provides 1 lot for all apartments in the downtown corridor and it's located in the north part of the area so you have to walk there. 2) When I was searching, I had short time frame (2 weeks to move) and the only apartment worth looking at (Hemisphere Apt.) was booked up until March so start now and let them know when you're moving. 3) Consider moving outside of downtown. I work there and live in the Medical Center- my commute at 9 AM is only 10-15 min & you've got more choices out there. If you must live near downtown, lots of old homes were converted into rental units but require high deposits. Consider looking in the King William, Monticello, Jefferson, or Monte Vista areas- they're very nice and well established neighborhoods.

Thanks you!!! That is good to know. Parking is one of my top questions. It seems like most cities have that same issue. Like you, I won't have much time.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshi198 View Post

What you're saying isn't true. There are more than enough places downtown that have included parking (Frost Bld, Exchange, La Cascada, Vidorra, Cadillac). As Southtown/King William are also technically within the 'downtown' spectrum, they too offer plentiful places to park when you're living in the area.

Big deposits? The worst I've seen is one month ahead. That's standard for renting a house in any location. If your credit is bad, it's expected to pay more up-front. You're a risk, plain and simple. Where I live now, I paid no deposit and moved in immediately. Frankly, you only had two days to make these kinds of judgements on living downtown... and they were mostly wrong. It's easy to find affordable living if you take some time, find the right person to search with (and as Jules already said, she's out there and amazing) and tour through what the city has to offer. I've been a downtowner for going on 4 years now and it's an incredible way to live. I can bike anywhere. Walk to some great places. No traffic. Take the trolley when I need to.

Big thumbs up

BN

Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 PM

89 posts, read 234,005 times
My wife and I are looking for a rental downtown too, so thanks for sharing the info!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 18,539 times
Hi everyone!
jules07- Could you also DM me the name of the "authority" of downtown?
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
Default Contact info for The Downtown Authority

Hi Jules07,

I would appreciate if you could private message me with the contact info for The Authority as well.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio