Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

My husband's car was hit today on his way to work. They hit the rear wheel on the driver's side, and then he spun out and the other side of the car went into the guardrail. It's pretty banged up...it's an older car with high mileage so insurance will probably consider it totaled. The hubby is a little sore but otherwise okay.

The car that hit him drove off without even attempting to stop. A witness followed the car to a house nearby, and then called the police. The police officers went to the house but the driver was already out of the vehicle and wouldn't answer the door. The officers ran the plates and said the vehicle's insurance lapsed two days ago, and that they'd have investigators follow up because the people wouldn't answer their door.

If you've been in a similar situation, did the person who hit you ever suffer any consequences? Did the police actually do anything? I'll be honest, we have insurance to cover this and we can afford the deductible, I just want to feel like the other driver will have some consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
The police need someone else to come out for it? Weren't they real cops? Was it SAPD? If so, then this is unfortunately very typical of them. Lazy beyond belief and pretty much absolutely worthless. I've dealt with them and BCSD several times and been extremely disappointed in both each time. I would recommend going to one of the local TV stations if they don't do anything and I'm going to go out on a (very short) limb and predict they won't. Seems their main job is doing anything to not ever do one lick of work all day..

BTW, would they give you the other driver's info? I'd definitely make sure someone paid some sort of price for this...

Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I was hit but the driver didn't run--although she did try to blame me for her hitting my front bumper while she was pulling in my lane--however she also didn't have insurance. She called her mother who brought a card to the officer I had called but it turned out the coverage had been cancelled. The officer was quite nice to them and ugly to me because I only had my expired card in the car even though I had my insurance company verify coverage over the phone. In the end all that happened was that my coverage paid to fix my car and nothing was done to the other driver. Hopefully, since in your case the driver left the scene they will at least get ticketed but I'm pretty sure you are still stuck. If you have UMPD it should cover without a deductible but if not you'll be stuck with the collision deductible. Also, be carefull in the next 3 years with any comp claims because if you have several of those with the NAF accident it can affect your rates. Your company will think you are doing something wrong to cause these problems. Example, I worked for an insurance company that cancelled a co-workers policy because her car and her husband's car were stolen. 2 car theft MUST be the owner's fault was the reasoning.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
There is a terrible bunch of bad drivers in San Antonio.

About the only other place I have noticed a bunch of bad drivers is Montreal Canada.

The problem is that you don't know which ones are bad and which ones are good so I need to treat them all with mistrust and expect the unexpected.

-never using turn signals
-switching lanes on a solid line
-tailgating
-driving too fast for conditions
-driving faster than anything else on a major highway and weaving in/out of traffic
-exiting a major highway without slowing down to the new road speed... then tailgating you when you are doing the road speed
-pulling out in front when isn't time
-leaving the scene of an accident
-driving without insurance
-etc, etc, it goes on and on

Heck, I don't even mind the slow drivers... but I do mind the fast drivers who tailgate in the right lane.

Given you have insurance to cover it... your insurance company may go after the other driver. Note I said may because my only experience with this is in Canada.

I think the police and authorities want these bad drivers on the roads so they can be pulled over repeatedly and fined... which adds to the revenue.

If everyone drove great... the revenue dries up.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,325 times
Something must be done about those without insurance. Yes Law Enforcement can run your VIN to see if you have insurance but I have found that the data is not up to date. Maybe the Insurance Companies need to get their info to the State Databases NOW!

Whatever happened to the San Antonio Ordinace that would allow Officer's to have a vehicle towed and impounded if it was not insured? I wouldn't feel bad for anyone who had to have their car towed. Folks CAN afford insurance if they get their spending priorities straight.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:20 PM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Something must be done about those without insurance. Yes Law Enforcement can run your VIN to see if you have insurance but I have found that the data is not up to date. Maybe the Insurance Companies need to get their info to the State Databases NOW!

Whatever happened to the San Antonio Ordinace that would allow Officer's to have a vehicle towed and impounded if it was not insured? I wouldn't feel bad for anyone who had to have their car towed. Folks CAN afford insurance if they get their spending priorities straight.
Well, apparently beer is more important than insurance.

Problem is beer causes more trouble if they DWI. Given that their
priorities are already screwed up the likelyhood they will DWI rises
exponentially.

I say impound the car with a hefty fee and suspend their driving privs
for 6-months to help them adjust their priorities.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
People who drive without insurance and hit and run should go to jail. Punishment should be worse than drinking and driving for that.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Well, apparently beer is more important than insurance.

Problem is beer causes more trouble if they DWI. Given that their
priorities are already screwed up the likelyhood they will DWI rises
exponentially.

I say impound the car with a hefty fee and suspend their driving privs
for 6-months to help them adjust their priorities.
a disgusting, but very true fact!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
I work at a very large office, and I swear, almost every person I talk to here has a story of themselves or someone in their family being hit here by someone that then takes off. It is crazy. How can that person not be arrested?

I would surmise that these people either are drunk, no insurance, illegals, or have warrants. No other excuse to take off really.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM

or a combination of all four...

it's just a city full of inconsiderate, rude, and (most importantly) irresponsible people. Obviously not 100% of them, but a huge majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio