Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM

188 posts, read 447,608 times

Advertisements

I am not much of a car guy, but I did really enjoy listening to his program. He was very informative and entertaining. He seemed like a very descent and honest man. A man of good character. May he rest in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 18,305 times
So sad that such a well respected nice guy and fair businessman has passed on. I (and countless others) will miss his voice on the radio every Sat and Sun afternoon for a long time to come. RIP Steve.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,612 times
Default Rip

Sad to hear of his sudden death. I didn't listen to the weekend show much, but I heard him from time to time on ESPN 1250 The Zone when the Chris and Jason Show had remotes from R-Bar. He was very funny and very knowledgable about many different things. RIP Steve, you will be missed.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,162 times
Although I have already posted I wanted to add this....... I heard on KTSA today that Steve had his show on for 25 plus years. Many years ago before moving to San Antonio my Mom told me about his show (which I soon became hooked on) and how much she loved his personality and his vast knowledge of cars. She is not a car nut but he was able to draw her in and she became a loyal listener. She even has a couple of books he wrote and signed.

Today Jack Ricardi asked Folks to call in and give their thoughts and memories of Steve. It really showed how much he was liked and respected.

He will never be replaced. I think it would be great (in due time) for KTSA to run some of his past shows. There is no doubt we would all love that.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,812 times
Yeah, was a shock to hear of his death, he seemed so full of life in weeks gone by. Dan

Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 AM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Sad news. What a loss for San Antonio.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
I'm so saddened by this news, I cried when the radio announced it at the beginning of his show time. My mail delivery on Saturdays will never be the same. My utmost heart felt condolences to his family and friends, what a loss, he will surely be missed by many.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,138 times
Default Steve Gehrlein will be missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
I am not much of a car guy, but I did really enjoy listening to his program. He was very informative and entertaining. He seemed like a very descent and honest man. A man of good character. May he rest in peace.
Steve was one in a million. It says a lot about a person who owned a successful business and devoted his weekends to help the general public with their automotive needs. He was passionate about his profession and shared his knowledge with a wit and wisdom all his own. Automotive repair and talk radio in San Antonio will not be be same without him. God bless and keep you Steve.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM

50 posts, read 83,768 times
Whenever we drove somewhere on the weekend my husband always had the radio tuned in to the Steve Gehrlein show. So I was very familiar with him even though I have zero car inner working knowledge. Driving now for well over 40 years and reluctantly on my second car, I never had much use for car advice but I enjoyed listening to him with his tremendous knowledge and folksy chat. Just this evening I mentioned to my husband that my check engine light has been on for over 5 years now and after all these years of driving the car I doubt there is anything wrong with the engine. He responded " I can fix that for you and you know who I learned it from........Steve Gehrlein!"

I think that the best thing for the Radio Station to do would be to rerun his shows.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemada View Post
Just this evening I mentioned to my husband that my check engine light has been on for over 5 years now and after all these years of driving the car I doubt there is anything wrong with the engine. He responded " I can fix that for you and you know who I learned it from........Steve Gehrlein!"
Can you please tell me how your husband can fix 'whatever it is' that causes the engine light to stay on. Of course I realize it can be many things.

I've had numberous shops do the so-called "dignostic test", then they do some little something such as tune-ups etc. And the light is off when I leave the shop, but in a couple of days or a week, it is back again.
I even took my car to Steve's shop about a year ago. After the dignositc test, they said they cleaned the Air Flow Sensor. The light only stayed off a week. When I called I was told (not by Steve but by one of his guys at the front desk) to bring my car back for another dignositc test (another charge) and another procedure. I was not impressed at all, so I never went back.
I think the problem was that I never had the chance to deal with Steve himself and I'm sure Steve did not do the work on my car.
Looking back,... I realize I should have tried to get hold of Steve himself to complain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio