Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times

Advertisements

I can't really believe I am asking this question, but let me give you all some background first.

We moved into our house last January, and my wife, who believes strongly in ghosts, started immediately telling me that she was hearing someone walking around downstairs, and occasionally saw something dark moving across the bathroom in the mirror behind her. One night She called me when I was out and asked if I was home because she heard someone making noises downstairs. She even said that one night I got up out of bed, walked in the hallway and started having a conversation with "someone", then came in and went back to sleep. I had no memory of this ever happening.

I have always been a skeptic about these things. The previous owners where the only people who had ever lived here and nobody ever died here. The limestone bedrock in our area is only about 6 inches beneath the ground surface, so you couldn't dig a grave here without a jackhammer, so I thought she was just imagining things (she said there was such a thing as "traveling ghosts"). But I did start to give it some credence in my mind when I heard someone heavy walking downstairs myself and thought someone had broken in. Upon investigation I saw that nobody was there. I clearly heard a 250+ pound man walking in heavy boots, I could actually hear his feet pronate as he walked, meaning I could hear the heel strike followed by the toes. After that, I noticed other things like items placed in one room appearing in other rooms for no logical reason. We would even hear doors opening and closing in other parts of the house, I even started calling out to the "ghost" to keep quiet, I was trying to sleep, dammit!!!

Once we got our house blessed, all this suspected activity stopped. But about a month ago, it seemed to start again, though a bit more subtle this time.

Today, sadly, we had to go to hospital due to an emergency in the family. I was entertaining my little nieces and one of them wanted to play with the Ghost Radar app for my iPhone. So I downloaded it and turned it on. After awhile, it showed a ghost standing next to me on the radar, and said "Dress...Better." This was funny, because both my wife and my mom are always telling me to dress better. "Great," I said, "Even ghosts don't like the way I dress." Everyone's a critic. We all thought it was funny, then the app went on to say. "Chart.....Sum.....clean." I figured the app just has a random word generator, and its natural for people to try and search for a relevance to the words it produces. Hospitals are full of charts and are clean, okay great, just a coincidence, right?

It was when I got home that things stated getting a little interesting. As I was walking up the stairs, the app said "Factory". There are no factories around here, and I don't think there were any in the past (I live near UTSA, so there was a quarry near), so I figured this was just further proof of it being a random word generator. So I asked the "ghost" what is your name. It immediately said "Dutch". I went into the bedroom and it said in quick succession "Rome...Planets...Roman." While I found it odd that a random number generator would spit out both Rome and Roman so close to one another (statistically it is unlikely, but not impossible), I was further convinced this was just a hoax.

Then I looked down at my bedside table, and realized I had a book called "The Tribune: A novel of Ancient Rome" The main character being a Roman Tribune. I then picked up the book and asked "Are you interested in Rome?" and the app immediately said "Interest". It then said "Mary" We have an icon of the Virgin Mary in our bedroom. I later remembered that the Virgin Mary was a minor character in The Tribune, which is about the Roman occupation of Galilee. I walked to the icon and said "Yes, that's the Virgin Mary, and that is Jesus over there." The app then said, "return", then it said "Away". And it stopped talking or showing a ghost blip on the radar after that, almost like it had to return someplace.

So has anybody else used this app and have any interesting stories about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
I have never heard of this app but I will have to check it out...

I am convinced that my parents house has a spirit living there... Too many things have happened to me at their house that I have no doubt anymore... My parents bought their house back in the 50's and they purchased it from very good friends of theirs... The husband who sold them the house, Russ, had a work related injury that left him with horrible migranes and constant pain and ringing in his ears... He went into the backyard of his new house and shot himself... I keep telling my mother that I think it is his spirit that lives in their house, as their house is the last place where he was healthy, and had no pain...

Many strange things have happened in my parents house... My mom has a tendency to believe me, but my dad, he refuses to even talk about this subject... I have seen the blinds in their house open and shut on their own, a lamp in my dads room was swept off the dresser apx 2ft and broken, shelves in my mom's room have dropped off the brackets and the brackets were pushed out of the wall, doors that my mom closed were now open, and something physically jumped on me while I was asleep and alone in the house... When I jumped out of the bed the bed was still moving... My grandmother stopped sleeping at our house because she said the bed would move at night...

I only have an Ipod touch, not an Iphone... Do you know if this app will run without internet connection???

Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
I have never heard of this app but I will have to check it out...

I am convinced that my parents house has a spirit living there... Too many things have happened to me at their house that I have no doubt anymore... My parents bought their house back in the 50's and they purchased it from very good friends of theirs... The husband who sold them the house, Russ, had a work related injury that left him with horrible migranes and constant pain and ringing in his ears... He went into the backyard of his new house and shot himself... I keep telling my mother that I think it is his spirit that lives in their house, as their house is the last place where he was healthy, and had no pain...

Many strange things have happened in my parents house... My mom has a tendency to believe me, but my dad, he refuses to even talk about this subject... I have seen the blinds in their house open and shut on their own, a lamp in my dads room was swept off the dresser apx 2ft and broken, shelves in my mom's room have dropped off the brackets and the brackets were pushed out of the wall, doors that my mom closed were now open, and something physically jumped on me while I was asleep and alone in the house... When I jumped out of the bed the bed was still moving... My grandmother stopped sleeping at our house because she said the bed would move at night...

I only have an Ipod touch, not an Iphone... Do you know if this app will run without internet connection???
Yes, you can download it to an iPod touch and it doesn't require an internet connection to operate. I got the free version, but I may shelve out the dollar or two for the paid version.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 PM

61,719 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Hmmm... skeptical minds read here: The Ghost Radar - hunting ghosts with your IPhone! - JREF Forum

Review: Ghost radar

I would not assume that my phone ( or any phone) is able to read
Quantum Flux. Just a waste of time and memory on your iPhone or iTouch.
But it is a fun toy for people that believe that iPhones/iTouches/iPads really have EMF meters built in

" Ghost Radar® analyzes nearby energies. This application does NOT detect EMF nor gravity. Interpretations of the sensor readings are displayed using numeric, textual, and graphical readouts. Results may vary, we offer no guarantees, use for entertainment."
https://market.android.com/details?i...les.ghostradar

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hmmm... skeptical minds read here: The Ghost Radar - hunting ghosts with your IPhone! - JREF Forum

Review: Ghost radar

I would not assume that my phone ( or any phone) is able to read
Quantum Flux. Just a waste of time and memory on your iPhone or iTouch.
But it is a fun toy for people that believe that iPhones/iTouches/iPads really have EMF meters built in

" Ghost Radar® analyzes nearby energies. This application does NOT detect EMF nor gravity. Interpretations of the sensor readings are displayed using numeric, textual, and graphical readouts. Results may vary, we offer no guarantees, use for entertainment."
https://market.android.com/details?i...les.ghostradar
Yeah, I read that one, too. But I also saw several posts and forums with people who've had really specific experiences with the app. Again, its the internet, you can find support or repudiation for any idea or argument. Like I said, I am skeptical about these things, but there did seem to be some kind of interaction. I don't think it has anything to do with this quantum fix theory, I don't even think Quantum Fix even exists. But that doesn't mean the sensors in the iPhone aren't picking up something, much like a ouji board might pick up on something if ouji boards actually work or how simple digital recorders can pick up electronic voice phenomena (EVP). Again, I don't know enough to say one way or another.

Regarding EVPs, I'm not sure I buy into them, either. Interesting fact, back when we still had UHF channels on non-cable ready TVs, you could tune into channels 98 and 99 and hear people having entire conversations. They weren't ghosts, it was cell phone conversations between people on analog cell or cordless phones. There was even a brief fad among techno geeks in the early to mid 90's of eavesdropping on calls via UHF channels. You couldn't target anyone specifically, it was just random conversations. I tend to think EVPs on digital recorders may be something similar, or maybe some latent words left over from a previously erased recording.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 AM

I just came up with a possible way to test this app. I downloaded the android version of it to my Galaxy Tab. I can see if I get the same kind of responses on the Tab as I do on the iPhone.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:25 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Who ya gonna call?

http://collider.com/wp-content/image...stbusters.jpeg

Last edited by Beretta; 05-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM

206 posts, read 464,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
She even said that one night I got up out of bed, walked in the hallway and started having a conversation with "someone", then came in and went back to sleep. I had no memory of this ever happening.
Wow! That's cool. That reminds me. Two nights ago, my boyfriend said I woke up and said "Did you hear that? Someone's screaming" to which my boyfriend jolted out of bed and got quiet so he could listen. And he asked me again, and I said "Someone's screaming, a man, but it sounds like it's far away." and I fell back to sleep. So since there was nothing there, my boyfriend went back to sleep too. He reminded me in the morning, and I faintly remembered saying that. The next night I heard the same thing, only this time I was awake. It turns out it was the fan from my laptop making a silent screaming noise, lol. Which in my dreams transformed from a laptop fan into a man screaming.

Dreams are funny things.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM

61,719 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Well... this app cost a buck... not a big deal. Get it and see how it works. If you don't - you will never know...

Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Tried it again this morning while it was just me and the cat in my office. While the cat was rubbing up against my leg, the app said "Fur". Then it said "cat". I said out load to my cat, "Well, you are a cat." and the app immediately said "Exactly".

Of course it said some other nonsensical words like powerful, Jane, fight, everything, and Smith. I could stretch belief and come up with a reason for Smith: Martin Cruz Smith is my favorite author and I have all his books in my office. But like I said, that's a stretch.

If anything, this is a fun diversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio